some talk about hair on my job

Inches411

well two ladies at my job when i firsted started there had very short hair cut like a fade and they wont let it grow out theyjust keep cutting it. Now another lady at my job jumped on the bag wagon and cut her hair. I think it looks nice on her but one of the other ladies were talking about relaxers and she was like ppl need to leave them alone. im relaxed but i agree to an extent if u cant take care of it but she made it seem like womens only option is to cut their hair like a mans hair cut. Every time she sees a women like that she sparks up a convo about her hair hell. But i will tell you that she did say that when she had a relaxer she never moisturized and deep conditioned but she saying people should leave relaxers alone. So not that im mad or anything everyone has there opinion but now im the only black girl there and my hair is like apl so i really want to make a point about how you can manage it and it can look good long if you try. IF i was natural i would try and grow it as big and long as a could to try you dont always have to cut it almost bald to manage it. okay im done just had to let yall know

Girl, I don't even pay attention to "our" peoples comments on hair as most are truly ignorant on the subject. I just smile and go about my business especially if its negative.

well two ladies at my job when i firsted started there had very short hair cut like a fade and they wont let it grow out theyjust keep cutting it. Now another lady at my job jumped on the bag wagon and cut her hair. I think it looks nice on her but one of the other ladies were talking about relaxers and she was like ppl need to leave them alone. im relaxed but i agree to an extent if u cant take care of it but she made it seem like womens only option is to cut their hair like a mans hair cut. Every time she sees a women like that she sparks up a convo about her hair hell. But i will tell you that she did say that when she had a relaxer she never moisturized and deep conditioned but she saying people should leave relaxers alone. So not that im mad or anything everyone has there opinion but now im the only black girl there and my hair is like apl so i really want to make a point about how you can manage it and it can look good long if you try. IF i was natural i would try and grow it as big and long as a could to try you dont always have to cut it almost bald to manage it. okay im done just had to let yall know

I don't really understand why you want to do this. Is anyone asking for your input? If they are admiring your APL hair and seeking info on how to successfully grow their hair like yours...then by all means. Offer up all the knowledge you possess but otherwise...I think you're gonna find that people don't want to know unless they are asking...There are many threads here where people found out that its not always a good idea to offer hair info unless it is requested.

Why do you feel compelled to give this info. They seem to be happy with their fades and with what they believe (even if it is poor logic and easily disputed). You might start an argument without even trying.

Tread lightly.

Last edited:
I completely agree Mook's Hair! When you give advice to certain people that don't ask for it, they usually become offended and give you attitude. I wouldn't want you to get into a rumble for nothing :boxing: Let them come to you for advice.

Do you plan on making the point by saying something to her or just silently showing her with healthy hair? I've come across people like that at work and as long as they don't say anything directly to me I ignore them. I'm natural and have worked with people who think you're only supposed to be loced once your hair grows past a certain length and made it a point to tell me what I should do with my hair. I politely tell them why I'm not going to and maybe I will later on in life but it's my hair and my decision to do what I want with my hair. If they keep on then I'm not so polite.:grin:

Originally Posted by TashaK
Girl, I don't even pay attention to "our" peoples comments on hair as most are truly ignorant on the subject. I just smile and go about my business especially if its negative.

I apologize if I didn't quote E_Williams' properly. I just am in COMPLETE agreement with her.

My co-worker and I were talking about texlaxing and she told me she doesn't relax her hair bone straight because she doesn't have 'regular black people's hair.' WTH is 'regular black people hair'? Her father is so light-skinned he can pass for white and her mom has Indian in her. I told her it didn't matter, but she is convinced it does. What AA does not have SOMETHING in them!!! My folks get on my nerves. I just let that nut continue to talk. I smiled and changed the subject. There was no use in arguing about it.

I don't really understand why you want to do this. Is anyone asking for your input? If they are admiring your APL hair and seeking info on how to successfully grow their hair like yours...then by all means. Offer up all the knowledge you possess but otherwise...I think you're gonna find that people don't want to know unless they are asking...There are many threads here where people found out that its not always a good idea to offer hair info unless it is requested.

Why do you feel compelled to give this info. They seem to be happy with their fades and with what they believe (even if it is poor logic and easily disputed). You might start an argument without even trying.

Tread lightly.

I completely agree with your statements. My co-worker (who's Mexican)asked me to hand her a rubberband so she could put her hair up. And I told her about the ouchless hair bands. She asked me why and I told her that it would be less breakage and damaging to the hair. You know this girl looked at me and said, "Mexican people can grow hair, so it doesn't really matter," I said to her, "Anyone can grow hair." She didn't say anything else. But I learned something, people don't want advice unless they ask for it. People think you are showing off. They will view you as a know-it-all. They won't see it as advice. Even when they do ask they may not listen. So I don't even talk about hair anymore. But keep in mind that this girl is really curious of my curly hair and how long it is, and she wants to iron my hair so that it could look nice. LOL IRON not flatiron but use an iron that you iron your clothes with. And yes she actually said, "so it could look nice." LOL Natually straight haired people actually believe that all curlies want to be straight. :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: Another co-worker from Venezuela asked me if I ever wore my hair straight. I told her I've worn more hairstyles and hair colors than I can count. :lachen: People and yes even black folks get the rediculous impression that because my hair is not staightened and I keep it up or pulled back that somehow I must be struggling and unhappy with my hair. LOL These people need meds. :spinning:

So, so true. And it never fails that the ones with the worst hair are the biggest advice givers. How in the world does that make any sense?

I have a totally different experience.

I love talking about hair, I love educating others and the folks I have spoken to about it have never given me an attitude. Some use the info, others don't. But it makes me happy to spread the word and so until then...

I've made friends with random people on the street about hair! I mean this whole hair journey is just so much more for me and I'm enjoying all facets of this journey.

Ummmm, I think they like their hair the way it is!:rolleyes: I understand that some people feel they need to cut it to manage it, but that is the way THEY think it is best for THEM. Not everyone cares to have long, flowing hair, and not everyone can care for it!:perplexed I don't think it is fair to down people's hair habits because they are not sweating out to attain long hair. If she feels she needs short hair to manage her hair, than all peace and blessings to her.:ohwell: I dunno, I think that saving people's hair, when they don't want to be saved seems like alot of wasted time!:look:

Tread lightly.

oh.. i never said i was going to say anything to them, please girl i know better im not a fool. Im just gonna grow myhair and take care of it like i usualy do and i know eyes will stare cause they do now... its like a silent point im trying to make.. girl im not evne trying to get in any argument about blakc hair at work...

Ummmm, I think they like their hair the way it is!:rolleyes: I understand that some people feel they need to cut it to manage it, but that is the way THEY think it is best for THEM. Not everyone cares to have long, flowing hair, and not everyone can care for it!:perplexed I don't think it is fair to down people's hair habits because they are not sweating out to attain long hair. If she feels she needs short hair to manage her hair, than all peace and blessings to her.:ohwell: I dunno, I think that saving people's hair, when they don't want to be saved seems like alot of wasted time!:look:

ITA with this entire post. I was one of those women who LOVED to wear their hair "almost bald". I loved it so much I wore it like that for about 10 years, not because my hair was unmanagable but because I liked it. During that time I didn't care to have long hair. Maybe your co-workers don't care to have long hair either.

never i would never look down on anyone but i just dont like when ppl talk as if thats they only option there is for black women in general... cause u konw its always like when one black person does something thats a personal chocie ppl think thats how it is for all black ppl and we all struggle with the same problem and its not.. and no i didnt not say anything to anyone about hair care and i never will.

ITA with this entire post. I was one of those women who LOVED to wear their hair "almost bald". I loved it so much I wore it like that for about 10 years, not because my hair was unmanagable but because I liked it. During that time I didn't care to have long hair. Maybe your co-workers don't care to have long hair either.

true.. i agree soem ppl do it for style but i have seen others who continuoulsly moan and grown and says they have to cause iits such and such... And by the way all the cuts on all the women look very nice and suits them well

Back