Someone explain the logic

nita4

of not trimming until you reach your hair goal?

I've read this several times today and I was thinking - wouldn't your ends get ragged/thin? Wouldn't this cause breakage? Normally, when I see breakage/split ends I trim.

That is what I noticed this past weekend, so I trimmed an inch because it had been a long while since my last really good trim.

What do you do?

Thanks

msprettyeyes

Well i originally said i would do it but i can't. If your ends are raggedy then by the time you reach your goal u will have to cut all that off to look right. So I would say u don't have to cut off all the split ends but just trim them until they look healthy.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Well,

I think most are planning to not do a "BIG" trim until they reach their goals. But these people(including myself) also take great measure to ensure that the ends are not subject to the types of things that will cause them to need trimming!

nita4

It would seem like you would be defeating your purpose to me. I think an occassional lite trim would be beneficial to the growth of your hair and then once you reach your goal length start trying to even it up. But hey, two each his own.

myco

I think it depends on your reasons for trimming. If you are trimming to maintain a blunt shape across the bottom of your hair, then a light dusting every so often might be what you want. I only trim to remove split ends. I don't heat style my hair except for roller sets, and I protect my ends with constant moisture and protective styling which means I rarely have split or thin ends. Once a month I have my sister go through and part my hair into thin vertical sections and hunt for split ends. If she finds a split end, she cuts that particular strand, so I don't need to cut length off the bottom of my hair as a whole.

G

But if you keep cuttin off an inch you'll never reach your goal right?

I went almost a yr (it would have been a year in Aug) but i did it this month after my relaxer and my ends were not bad at all the were a tad frizzed but I noticed today that there are splits further up than the 1/2 inch she took. So your never gonna be rid of splits.

I want to wait til I'm a lil past goal then frequent trims for neatness won't set me back.

nita4

True, Mindymouse, true.

Oh my trims aren't frequent. My stylist wouldn't cut my hair because she said I didn't need it because I kept it up 99% of the time. I wouldn't recommend getting an inch cut after every touch up or even twice a year. Like Supergirl stated, measures should be taken to ensure that frequent trims aren't necessary.

Its just that I had read in several post about not trimming until length was reached and it didn't sound beneficial to me. Your ends would be totally ragged!! Otherwise, not doing a "BIG" trim until length is reached makes perfect sense.

I guess in a way that is what I did. I reached one goal length and trimmed.

adrienne0914

i DO NOT believe in hanging on to healthy ends though...

however, i don't believe in trimming for trimming's sake, or trimming to achieve a certain look when you're not even at your goal. trying to achieve a look only delays the look that you REALLY want.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
i DO NOT believe in hanging on to healthy ends though...

[/ QUOTE ]
Adrienne,

I take it you meant 'unhealthy' ends?????

Stormy

hmmm...I haven't read that nor do I believe you should wait to trim at all until you reach your goal. I trim about 1/4th of an inch or a little more depending on how bad my split ends are about every 8 weeks just to be safe and keep the ends healthy. I plan to do a big trim/cut when I reach my next hair goal.

henrilou

I think that trimming an inch or more is no longer trimming, it's a CUT. I am with Adrienne. You kind of have to keep your eyes on the prize. If you are constantly trimming for a look then you won't reach your goal. And holding on to raggedy ends isn't going to work either. I guess the main thing is that if your trimming an INCH every six weeks but you only grow 1/2-3/4 inch per month=---well then your not going to get any longer AT ALL are you?

Karonica

I tried to hang onto my hair and went 7 months without trimming, and I will never ever do it again. My ends thinned something terribly and were in awful shape. I started back trimming in March, and even though I've lightly trimmed my hair twice since then, and had 1 professional trim, my hair still isn't as full as it once was, nor are the ends as healthy. I will never do it again. I'd rather get lite trims every 3-5 months or so, rather than do what I did previously.

myco

I've had that happen in the past also. I get a 1/2 inch trim that I didn't asked for and I still find a split end. That's why I have my sister hunt for the split ends. I think it is just faster for stylists to cut all of your hair and hope they get the majority of them, than to look at particular strands of hair that actually need to be cut.

But like Adrienne said, if there is significant damage and thinning, I would cut it and start from there. I would feel better knowing that any hair from here on out was here to stay. I wouldn't be as anxious for it to grow so I could get rid of the parts that bother me and still have some length.

Honey01

Personally, I used to be really confused since alot of the hair experts suggest trims every 6 or so weeks, or with every relaxer. I would let my stylist trim my hair with every relaxer up until a few months ago. I was so vigilant in not having "raggedy" looking hair just for the sake of length. At the same time I felt like she was taking too much. Now, I decline her trims and just do it on my own as necessary. I am now seeing noticeable difference in length now (which she takes credit for, ha)without sacrificing health.

aqualung

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the main thing is that if your trimming an INCH every six weeks but you only grow 1/2-3/4 inch per month=---well then your not going to get any longer AT ALL are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an important concept that I missed earlier. I was getting washed and rollerset twice a month with a "dusting" each time. My stylist was dusting faster than I was growing!

I've not been back to the salon in a month. I'm CO washing and airdrying for 2 months (for better or for worse) in order to finally get comfortable handling my own hair between touch ups, and to determine what products suit me. Feels like bootcamp, only with conditioner and buns.

ngaa

nita i'm one of the ppl who r tryan go a yr without a trim but mind u, what i mean here is that ima trim as needed but as tryna keep my hair in such a shape that i dont need to trim till december by not usin heat, constant moisture etc

hth

mocha105

Overall i think the trimming thing just depends on the state of ur hair. For me I only need trim every 4-5 months because my hair has been retaining moisture and I have been taking good care of it. Sometimez u may c a raggedy end but dependin on how fast ur hair grows n itz health u may b able to put it off for a lil bit...BUT THATZ JUST MY 2 CENTZ

webby

Think Slim
I used to get my hair cut religiously, every 8 weeks. I only wanted a trim, but it usually turned into a cut. What I started doing is letting my mother "dust" my ends lightly and then I'd wait another 8 weeks and have it trimmed at the salon. I retained much more length that way.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
I rather get my hair trim to get rid of the split ends than rather keep the ragged end just to achieve length. It doesn't look nice to me.

ngaa

i think what ppl r findin hard to understand is this: if u do everything in yo power to ensure that u have no split ends and u look at yo hair and it dont look rageddy, would u still go for a trim or wud u wait till u actually need a trim?? coz some ppl can wait for 6months b4 they hair look rageddy and thats how they end up trimmin only 2x a month....thats what they mean wen they say they dont trim for trimming's sake