Something you've done and regret/emotions x haircare

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I regret using no-lye relaxer without doing enough research about mineral deposits first. I thought I could do a corrective with lye... nope. I ended up with over-processed hair that I'm now growing out. I could have been so much by further now.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I would have cursed her out saying that what she did was assault with a deadly weapon. Who cuts hair without permission??!!!!!??!!!! Nonono!

Alot of them do that, before you know they have wipped out the scissor ready to start cutting.

When I was young and dumb I allowed it ONCE. They will tell you this and that but I said you are cutting my hair its fine.

indigoCniqy

I regret letting others convince me to do a texturiser because I was having difficulty managing it and then opting to do a texlax in the front section of my hair. It totally dried out and damaged my hair to the point that my hair became unresponsive to all treatments. I will never let my insecurities affect my hair ever again. :nono:

LadyAmani

I also regret texturizing, i did it bc of the single strand knots and the tangles but now i miss my natural hair and the softness, i am now transitioning 1 mth post, oh i also tried to do a shine treatment and it turned my hair an ugly brown never again im going to henna for now on.:sad:

nysister

My first relaxer and everyone since then. My only "regret" about not being natural is that I haven't been doing it all of my life.

maxineshaw

I regret making the same mistake TWICE (dying my hair). If I never dyed my hair, I'd be at least WL by now. I've had to cut the color out of my hair twice. I will not color again, I don't care how non-damaging the chemical service is "supposed" to be. I'm sticking to henna.

I made the exact same mistake. I never wanted to color my hair, but my mother made me feel so insecure about wearing a short afro that wasn't colored I just went ahead and did it. And I hated it. I hated the way it looked, I hated the way it felt.

I wound up cutting the color out in two separate sessions. Just like you, I would be very close if not already have waist length hair. Now I know to not allow any person's opinion to affect my own decisions.

And if I ever do want color, I'm going the henna route.

Evolving78

i regret relaxing and cutting my hair three times after getting over the twa hump (1 year), due to pressure from certain people. my hair would have been so long by now. i am not going back and i am going to protective style my hair to make sure i reach my first goal. i wanted to color my hair a lighter shade, but something held me back. i think i am going to chill on the color for now. i don't want any set backs.

Yea I messed up and dyed my ends, trying to copy my roommate, knowing her hair is stronger that mines and she can take hair dye, and my hair can't, I dyed it like times, and my ends just became thin over time, so I cut my APL hair to my neck, so I now I regret dying my hair because it is the reason I cut my hair. I was very upset, I was up to the change, but now I just miss my hair.....but I'm adapting to the new style.

helixhoney

Every 3 months I've had a regret in 2010. This just hasn't been my year:

1. I regret cutting 3 inches off in January.
2. I regret getting gold highlights this June--the more aggressively colored sections feel like hay and I think my thin hair is now thinner (although I originally colored to make my cuticles a little rougher and hair look thicker)
3. I regret going to a stylist in August who I let comb my hair with a fine tooth comb after she applied ecostyler--the ends of my coils and curls ended up on the floor.

And through all this, I somehow still manage to be around APL. What a ride...

abcd09

I regret my protein mishap from last year. I would be MBL right now. Or close. With good ends and not see through ends.

Carisa

Almost everyone so far has regreted dying, relaxing, or hair cuts but im surprised no one has mentioned heat damage.

helixhoney

Almost everyone so far has regreted dying, relaxing, or hair cuts but im surprised no one has mentioned heat damage.

Oh yea...that happened to me too, just not this year. Got my hair straightened "professionally" for the new year in 08 and had horrible heat damage. I cut all my locs a year prior, and basically had to cut all my hair off again, wore braids for a year just to get the length I had before the press.

My hair journey has been a clumsy one. And the number one rule I learned that I am sticking to from here on out is STAY AWAY FROM STYLISTS AND THEIR SHAMPOO GIRLS. Either with scissors, heat, or rough combing, they have always caused my major setbacks.

iri9109

i regret relaxing my hair...then dying it...twice...all within 48 hrs:look::ohwell::perplexed:nono:...my relaxed hair was never the same after that until i got a major cut...and that was 4 years later lol

i used to regret begging my mom for a relaxer, but if it wasnt for that, then today i probably wouldnt be on a healthy hair journey, i would never moisturize my hair (besides using pink oil :look:), i wouldnt know about my natural curls, or that my hair even had curls because they would cease to exist due to improper hair care techniques such as blowfrying and pressing my hair to death without heat protectant, and i wouldnt have had the opportunity or interest in really getting to know my hair like i do know.

Mona123

Transitioning/ staying natural for three years...I know a controversial statement.

I find this interesting...I also sort of regret my natural phase, despite how popular it has become lately. I'm glad I did it because it was a good lesson on the true texture of my hair and it was kind of fun. However, when I look back on pictures, I'm not a fan. It works great on some ladies but not as much for me. I also think there may have been some lost opportunities (mainly career-oriented) from my natural phase.

My other regret: letting the lady that did my extensions double process my hair because "my hair didn't get straight enough the first time." I wish I knew about this forum then!

Carisa

i regret relaxing my hair...then dying it...twice...all within 48 hrs:look::ohwell::perplexed:nono:...my relaxed hair was never the same after that until i got a major cut...and that was 4 years later lol

i used to regret begging my mom for a relaxer, but if it wasnt for that, then today i probably wouldnt be on a healthy hair journey, i would never moisturize my hair (besides using pink oil :look:), i wouldnt know about my natural curls, or that my hair even had curls because they would cease to exist due to improper hair care techniques such as blowfrying and pressing my hair to death without heat protectant, and i wouldnt have had the opportunity or interest in really getting to know my hair like i do know.

This was me 2 - I relaxed and for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to color my hair too within the same week! But i didnt stop there- i actually colored my hair again that month because I didnt get the results i wanted the first time. I noticed it starting to break off and this is when I got a sew in which furthured my damage. I guess I thought my hair was invincible because it was so thick- so after abusing my hair like this months later i had to eventually cut it off to above ear lenght.

Evolving78

that happened to me too. my hair was straight and wouldn't revert back. smelled like burned hair for a week. i had to cut again after a year. i can never get past a year without doing something stupid.

shunemite

I would have cursed her out saying that what she did was assault with a deadly weapon. Who cuts hair without permission??!!!!!??!!!! Nonono!

GIRL! She was taking down the braids and I couldn't see the mirror, and when she was done I thought it looked short but my hair has major shrinkage when coming right out of braids so I assumed that it was shrinkage. It wasn't til I got home and washed my hair and started to blow dry that I noticed it was GONE.:nono:

shunemite

OOOooohhhh! You gotta take me many years back for that one, but yes, one time period I think in high school or college in my late teens/ early twenties, I used a curling iron DAILY. I went from SL hair to a Halle Berry cut in record time. My hair dresser had to cut it ALL off. Unfortunately for me, my friend who has 4b hair also, but a very tough kind, still uses direct heat almost daily to this day and doesn't experience bad breakage.

Sade'

If I could go back to 1994 I would have NEVER relaxed my hair. That was the beginning of the end of my hair. Sighhhhhhhh

Carisa

Coloring my hair and I'm sick about it. Hair came out so bad I almost broke down and cried one day. I'm still waiting to wake up completely bald.

@kph- trust me i know this feeling all too well and even though i ended up having to cut mine mostly off im glad i did and it was back to almost apl in a year. Just remember your hair is like this for the time being but nxt year will be a new head of hair.

guyanesesista

I regret relaxing in January out of boredom and depression. I was apl natural and now I'm bsl relaxed but I'd rather be bsl natural. I miss my natural hair. I'm transitioning now as I see another reason why I stopped relaxing, the stuff messes up my edges. I bigchopped at 3 months post the last time. This time I'm gonna transition for as long as I can.

Poopiedo

I regret relaxing the front part of my hair while I was in a sew in. I wanted to make my style last. I wanted my hair to blend in with the weave. Well apparently I didn't rinse all of the relaxer out properly and ended up with a quarter size bald spot on one side. To this day my hair is still shorter in that section but I would have to part my hair in that area for it to be noticeable.

EbonyCPrincess

Not really regrets but lessons I learned:
- long term stretching (beyond 12 weeks) does not work for my hair. It frustrates me plus I do NOT retain all my growth.

- I will not self relax any more: chemical services are best left to professionals. I don't care how many self relaxed women I see, I will say 98% of the time they cannot do as great a job as a TRUSTED, KNOWLEDGEABLE stylist can do. Problem is, trust-worthy knowledgeable stylists are hard to come by.

Those 2 things I will never do again.

NaturalBoss

I have a lot of regrets:
1. I regret not going natural sooner, or even getting a relaxer in the first place.
2. I regret wearing micros and kinky twists after I BC'd. My edges got real thin (almost bald) and my hair was damaged. I didn't take care of it properly and it was always really tangled when I took the braids out and I lost a lot of hair detangling. My hair actually looks good to most people because I can camoflauge (sp?) very well. Sometimes I feel like BC'ing again. I will try and trim little by little.
3. I regret getting my hair professionally pressed (super silky). My hair is heat damaged on the ends. No one else can really tell but me because I know what my hair is supposed to be like. It actually took me a while to notice. My hair still coils and shrinks but the coils/curls on the ends are bigger than what my hair really is. And now that my hair has grown so much, there is a difference between the roots and the ends. Thankfully it's not the kind of damage where the hair is all straight lookin'. I can still where a nice looking puff, but it's just not the way my hair is really supposed to look. I'm getting p*ss*d off as I'm writing this. This is actually my #1 regret.:perplexed

winona

Jan 2010 I commence to chop 3in off the front right side of my hair because I was depressed. I thought it was heat damaged but now I realize that the whole front half of my is a kinky straight nonsense:(

fivetimestwo

I regret texlaxing and coloring (yes, in that order :rolleyes:) my hair after being natural for 4 years only to end up transitioning a year later anyway. I really get sad when I think of how long my hair would've been by now (just trying to picture my hair at 6 years natural :sad:). It really sucks to start over. :yep: