Sore spot on my scalp

Hi, I'm in individual braids at the moment, and I have a sore spot on the back left of my crown. It's roughly about 2 inches in diameter, and I've checked in the mirror for any cuts or change in colour, but the scalp there looks pretty normal. I've had it for a few days now, and I can even feel it a little when I'm not touching it. I also had the same sore spot about a month ago, but then it went away for a few weeks and it's come back now. Both times I've halted my usual daily use of Megatek, and instead been rubbing and massaging a mixture of castor oil and lavender oil into the sore spot in an attempt to try and soothe it. It still feels really sore right now though :(.

Also, I just thought I would mention that the new growth right at the sorest part is quite long in comparison to new growth in most other parts of my head (apart from right at the bottom back of my head, hair there just seems to grow the quickest). Could there be some sort of connection between the scalp pain and the new growth, or could it just be my oil mix causing the more growth? Does anyone have any other idea what this could be, and maybe any tips on what I could do? Thanks.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Hey Cherry!

Recently, with MT, I've been doing 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.:yep:

I noticed a little "tenderness" (in various spots) when I attempt to use it daily for long extended periods of time.:ohwell:

So, now, I'll use it in 2 week intervals resting from it and using something else the other two weeks. My wasn't 'sore' per se, but definitely "tender".:perplexed

I'm sure JBCO or some other soothing oil(s) will help ease it a bit.

Hey Cherry!

Recently, with MT, I've been doing 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.:yep:

I noticed a little "tenderness" (in various spots) when I attempt to use it daily for long extended periods of time.:ohwell:

So, now, I'll use it in 2 week intervals resting from it and using something else the other two weeks. My wasn't 'sore' per se, but definitely "tender".:perplexed

I'm sure JBCO or some other soothing oil(s) will help ease it a bit.

OK, I thought it might be something to do with the MT, since I have read about sore scalps and headaches as a side effect of it. I just find it a little odd that it's only that one small spot that is sore, and everywhere else feels completely normal and fine. Is it really normal to have just the odd sore spot from using MT?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
OK, I thought it might be something to do with the MT, since I have read about sore scalps and headaches as a side effect of it. I just find it a little odd that it's only that one small spot that is sore, and everywhere else feels completely normal and fine. Is it really normal to have just the odd sore spot from using MT?

Girl, mine would be in various places. But like in one spot in particular. I ended up alternating with other stuff.

I was using it non-stop daily. Just a little fingertip amount, but none the less on a daily basis. It was tender to the 'touch'.:blush:

That's when I decided to start rotating it in 2 week intervals. Never had any headaches etc....just that little nagging sore spot, sometimes on the side(s), sometimes in the crown etc.....HTHs

But now that I do the intervals, I don't have any issues. I rotate it with other Growth Aids in between.

Girl, mine would be in various places. But like in one spot in particular. I ended up alternating with other stuff.

I was using it non-stop daily. Just a little fingertip amount, but none the less on a daily basis. It was tender to the 'touch'.:blush:

That's when I decided to start rotating it in 2 week intervals. Never had any headaches etc....just that little nagging sore spot, sometimes on the side(s), sometimes in the crown etc.....HTHs

But now that I do the intervals, I don't have any issues. I rotate it with other Growth Aids in between.

Right, so you're sure it might be the MT? Well, thanks a lot for your help. I will take your advice and continue with my break from MT for a couple of weeks or so, at least till after the pain subsides, and be using my lavender oil mix instead during that time :yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Oh yeah, I'm 'relaxed' so I stop using it 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after relaxing.:yep: Just as a precautionary measure.

btw: Yeah, I asked another MT user and she said she also gets tender spots from time to time, so I think it's a possibility.

You know what, I also have a headache now along with this sore spot on my scalp. I think they must be connected, and it's probably the MT, am I right? :look:

Chrissmiss

I have had a sore spot on my scalp for years... the area where my ticholomania is. If i touch it it gets more tender and it feels really good when I pluck out hairs form that area. When I was natural it wasn't as bad. Idk maybe what you are putting on your scalp does have an effect on it. I am using MT also (I just applied yesterday for the first time) and that area of my head is extra tender (more than usual) so that may be it.

4bslbound

I have had a sore spot on my scalp for years... the area where my ticholomania is. If i touch it it gets more tender and it feels really good when I pluck out hairs form that area. When I was natural it wasn't as bad. Idk maybe what you are putting on your scalp does have an effect on it. I am using MT also (I just applied yesterday for the first time) and that area of my head is extra tender (more than usual) so that may be it.

Please look up the scalp condition called CCCA (central centrifugal citracal alopecia).

Essential oil mixtures can help naturally, but you may need steriod shots done by a dermatologist.

JinaRicci

You know what, I also have a headache now along with this sore spot on my scalp. I think they must be connected, and it's probably the MT, am I right? :look:

Is your spot tender when you touch it or does it hurt all the time? You might be experiencing some irritation to something in the MT or something else which could explain why the hair is longest in that area.

Have you tried taking pain relievers for the headache? Did that help with the spot? If you're feeling worse please see your doctor.

glamazon386

I have a spot like that too. I've found that it flares up when I'm stressed out. Sometimes massaging it helps soothe the soreness.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
subscribing to listen to responses as i've had tender spots before but think it's been due to wrapping my hair. i also get tender when using clips in my head when bunning (even when using the good days hair pins).

30something

My sore spot almost always a result of product build up, or to much stuff on the scalp. Doesn't matter it could result from a conditioner or just oil. Tend to have this problem in my crown area.

Is your spot tender when you touch it or does it hurt all the time? You might be experiencing some irritation to something in the MT or something else which could explain why the hair is longest in that area.

Have you tried taking pain relievers for the headache? Did that help with the spot? If you're feeling worse please see your doctor.

At the time I started this thread yesterday, the spot was tender and sore all the time, with and without touching it. The pain has actually gone down quite a lot now since I started this thread; it's not as painful or uncomfortable now. I've been taking paracetamol, rubbing the spot twice daily with my oil mixture and also rinsing my scalp with cool water every night to help soothe the scalp, and I think it's been working :). I will just keep doing what I'm doing at the mo and see how things go, then maybe try the MT again when the time is right :yep:.

Thank you for your reply, and everyone else too :D

Damn, I only used MT just once last week after a long break, and the sore spot has immediately returned, followed by another one (less sore) on the other side of my side! Cornrows are what I have in right now, instead of braids, so these are easy enough to rinse frequently. I'll keep trying what I said in my last post, but darn, this is annoying now :wallbash:.

Lol, the sore spots have returned, once again :rolleyes:. Doing my oil massages again right now. I suppose this is pretty much a recurrent thing now, am I right?

And yet again, two years later I'm still having this same problem as it looks like the very same spot is sore again! I'll keep rinsing my scalp and massaging it with oils like before, but I thought it'd be good to bump this thread again incase anyone else has any more answers? :look: