Sore scalp when wrapping hair

Brownshugaz

I've realized that whenever I wrap my hair I get a sore spot at my point of origin. I tried switching directions but then the spot just switches to my new point of origin. Has this anyone ever happened to anyone else?

It's been a very, very long time since I wrapped my hair, but I remember that same thing happening to me. I never figured out why.

this used to happen when i wrapped my hair to the left. when i wrapped my hair to the right it wouldnt happen. but i no longer wrap my hair. i have no idea why this happens:ohwell:

Happens to me too! :D Just like you said -- either way I wrap it, the side going up HURTS when I comb it down in the morning -- even if I just use my fingers. I don't truly wrap any more... what I do now is something I got from this board. I grab my hair into 2, with one side by each ear but without any real part going down the middle, then I hair pin each side to the opposite side of my hair going across each other in the back. No soreness, no real combing in the morning, and it helps flatten out my curl just like a wrap.! :grin: I still miss that cute flip a wrap gives though...

Ditto - I do not wrap anymore either.. It always ends up being sore around my temple area..

ALthough I miss the flatness and bouncyness (is this a word?? :lol: ) it gave me at times..

I usually just pin it up at night, especially is I have curls :)

I've experienced this too. I now wrap my hair the way CaramelHonee states. I wear my hair parted down the middle...so I use her option #2. And my hairline doesn't hurt. :yay:

CaramelHonee said:
This is how I do it:

Option# 1:
After hair is rollerset and dried*, I use a wide tooth comb and part my hair from the crown straight back to the neck. Since I am right handing, I comb the hair in the right side of the part to the right and place a bobby pin (LARGE) above my ear (tips pointing up) and place another one directly above it (crown) with with point facing down. I continue this around my head until my hair is combed and pinned into a king's crown. **DO NOT PUT ANY PINS AROUND YOUR TEMPLE AREA, it will thin out over time** I than tie a silk/satin scarf around my head and leave on at least 3 hours or overnight.

Option# 2
Part hair wherever you want your part to be when you take the doobie out. For the sake of argument, let's say you want the part in the middle. Part hair there (from the crown straight down the front-think nose). Gather the hair on the right side and put it over the hair on the left, securing with a few pins. Then, gather the hair on the left side and pin it to the right side of your head. Place a scarf and leave on overnite. Results are exactly the same except the part looks neater
smile.gif

*You do not always have to have a rollerset before you attempt this. This can be done every night.

And I thought it was just me! I think the way out hair grows is connected with our scalp's blood circulation. When hairs are combed then flattened to lay a certain way (outside of its natural position), it interrupts the blood circulation in that area and causes a sore scalp. That's my guess. I've stopped wrapping because of this also.

wow i didn't know it was such a common issue. i thought it was just me and my freakish scalp. lol i'll try caramelhon.'s tips

KhandiB said:
Ditto - I do not wrap anymore either.. It always ends up being sore around my temple area..

ALthough I miss the flatness and bouncyness (is this a word?? :lol: ) it gave me at times..

I usually just pin it up at night, especially is I have curls :)

*off topic* But I love your hair in that siggy pic.

oh my! i thought i had some kind of scalp disease. i actually called me mom today about it. then i thought it might be the mtg because i put it directly on the area of my scalp that is hurting.

the area, above my temple on my right side, looks kinda red too. so maybe the blood circulation suggestion is right on point because this is "the point of origin" of where i begin wrapping my hair.

glad i'm not alone.

When I constantly wrapped in the past, I too experienced the soreness. From all that I have learned, I now switch up by first wearing a curly look and pin curling it to maintain the look, then by the end of the weak I will wrap. And once I get that new growth coming in, its to the rollers for me.

Brownshugaz said:
wow i didn't know it was such a common issue. i thought it was just me and my freakish scalp. lol i'll try caramelhon.'s tips

same here, I thought I was the only one suffering from this:lol: , I will try caramelhon tip as well.

this is a great thread!
The same thing happened to me, just this morning my head was killing me.
Anytime this starts to happen, I start using protective styles with the sensationnel half wigs.
I was wondering how people got their center parts from wrapping, I have GOT to try that.
Thanks for posting Caramel's stuff!

Back