Soy milk and Hair growth ALERT!!!

Sade7

I just read that soy milk contains a protein that could actually slow hair growth rate and decrease the follicle dimension. Here is a portion of the article abstract below. To get the full article or to read more, go to the link below:

Soymilk reduces hair growth and hair follicle dimensions
M. Seiberg, J.-C. Liu, L. Babiarz, E. Sharlow and S. Shapiro

Abstract: We have recently shown that soybean-derived serine protease inhibitors and soybean extracts alter skin pigmentation, suggesting that soymilk could be used as a natural alternative to skin lightening. The present studies were initiated to examine the possible effect of STI, BBI and soymilk on hair pigmentation. Interestingly, these agents were found to affect not only hair pigmentation, but also the rate of hair growth, the dimensions of the hair follicle and hair shaft, and the appearance of the hair. The studies presented here provide first evidence, at the morphological and histological level, that soymilk and the soybean-derived serine protease inhibitors could be used as effective agents for hair care and management. These agents could reduce the rate of hair growth, decrease hair shaft dimensions and alter the pattern of melanogenic gene expression. Soy milk article

A_Christian

Thanks for posting the article. I've always thought that soymilk would assist hair growth. I've already chugged almost 3 whole cartons of it over the last few weeks
. I wonder if rice milk would be a good alternative. :)

Sade7

Up unitl this morning, I thought the say as you regarding soy milk. In fact, I was searching for more benefits of soy on hair when I came across this article.

miss_brown

I don't understand if they are talking about topical application or actually ingesting soy milk. Can anyone provide clarification?

DigitalRain

[ QUOTE ]
miss_brown said:
I don't understand if they are talking about topical application or actually ingesting soy milk. Can anyone provide clarification?

[/ QUOTE ]

It included ingesting soy milk. I have never had any problems with hair growth and I drink soy milk every day. Maybe it depends on how much you drink.

miss_brown

[ QUOTE ]
DigitalRain said:
[ QUOTE ]
miss_brown said:

[/ QUOTE ]

It included ingesting soy milk. I have never had any problems with hair growth and I drink soy milk every day. Maybe it depends on how much you drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. It probably does have to do with how much soy milk you drink, but since you drink it everyday, I would think you would have experienced these effects
Luckily you haven't.

Re topical application, there are some products that advertise their soy content (i.e. got2b Smooth line), so I may have to cut these things out of my regimen.

ChasingBliss

I guess that explains that lotion I used to use by Jergens below, it's main ingredient was soy protein. After I started using this and seeing that it really does work, I wondered about soy in hair products. I mean how could it aid in minimizing hair on the body and also be put in hair products at the same time?

miss_brown

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyLemonDrop said:
I guess that explains that lotion I used to use by Jergens below, it's main ingredient was soy protein. After I started using this and seeing that it really does work, I wondered about soy in hair products. I mean how could it aid in minimizing hair on the body and also be put in hair products at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it. I'm trashng my got2b Emergency Repair as soon as I get home, which sucks because it really is a good product.

nebula24

Sade7, thanks for the information about hair growth and soy milk. I consumed soy milk for several years before I became aware of the negative effects of soy. Soy should not be consumed or used topically.
Ladies, there are so many negative effects associated with soy that it is incredible. We don't hear or read about the detrimental effects of soy because.....the soy industry is just that powerful.
Soy contains high levels of digestive enzyme inhibitors that block the function of the pancreatic enzyme trypsin. Soy has high levels of phytic acid (an anti-nutrient) which may block the absorption of minerals such as calcium, zinc, magnesium, and iron. Soy also has a known carcinogen: lysinoalanine. Soy protein isolates are used to make soy protein bars, veggies burgers and other soy products but they were once a wasted byproduct. Use of soy products increase the risk of thyroid disease. (This includes soy formulas for infants) Most of the soybeans on the market are genetically modified and we do not yet know the long-term effects. Ladies, please please please research soy thoroughly including its detrimental effects before continuing use.

prettyblac

You know I currently live in japan and Soy is a HUGE staple in their diets. So how can you explain the fact that they have the skinniest, healthiest, longest living people in the entire world! My employee's grandfather died recently he was 106! and that's common. So that's interesting that the researchers made those statements 99.9% of the japanese ladies I see here are stick thin with hair to their buttes! And yes they put soy in their hair products! So seeing is believing to me! you can't believe everything you read especially not in this case.

Koreanblaq

Unemployed
Agreed, prettyblac. I don't think the negative aspects of soy on hair would outweigh its good properties enough to merit one cutting it out of the diet. In Asia, soy is a staple part of many traditional diets, and as we all see, Asian women have no problems growing long and coarse (since the article says it decreases hair shaft diameter) hair. Soy has also traditionally been linked to the decreased occurance of breast and other female cancers in Asian and Asian-American women.

I dunno about applying soy topically to my hair, but I think its excellent for my body and I refuse to cut it out of my diet just because it *might* slow my hair growth .00025%.

DigitalRain

[ QUOTE ]
prettyblac said:
You know I currently live in japan and Soy is a HUGE staple in their diets. So how can you explain the fact that they have the skinniest, healthiest, longest living people in the entire world! My employee's grandfather died recently he was 106! and that's common. So that's interesting that the researchers made those statements 99.9% of the japanese ladies I see here are stick thin with hair to their buttes! And yes they put soy in their hair products! So seeing is believing to me! you can't believe everything you read especially not in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly!!! Scientists will say one year something is bad for you and then a year or so later, they discover that its not as bad as they thought or harmless. If we listened to the *experts*, we'd be paranoid about everything.

Nonie

Talk of contradictions galore! First we hear all the good things about soy...

European studies have found that soy protein reinforces hair and stimulates its growth. In one study, The hair growth increased by 15 percent. Tofu and soy milk are good sources of soy protein. Other good sources of protein are: low-fat cheese, eggs, fish, beans, brewer's yeast and yogurt. ( http://www.holistic-online.com/Remedies/Hair/hair_loss-diet.htm )
SOY ISOFLAVONES

Antioxidant phytoestrogens in soy reduce hair loss. These can be found in soy foods such as tofu, tempeh, miso and soy milk. Suggested serving "dosage" is 25 g of soy protein per day. ( http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0FKA/11_62/66885569/p3/article.jhtml?term= )

And now this.

Just goes to show how imperfect science is, doesn't it? I found a forum that further discusses the probable connection between soy and hair loss...
http://www.keratin.net/viewtopic.php?t=2369&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

So for those of us who are dairy intolerant, I guess that leaves almond and rice milk, huh? (Almond having a li'l more protein than rice, but a lot less than soy. *sniff*) And if you're like me and drink soy mainly as a source of the protein, guess we'll just have to depend on other vegetables for our protein: beans (kidney, black-eyed, pinto, etc), lentils... *sigh* Fortunately, I'm not vegan so I still have chicken, fish, lamb...

...That is, until some scientist comes along and bursts my bubble again with some horror story of how my hair will fall off if I take another bite of that too.

Nonie

Just read the post by prettyblac...
Could it be that soy in the West is processed in ways that makes it harmful while in the East it's pure, organic unprocessed...with no preservatives or artificial fertilizers in its growing stages to that it has no side-effects?

DigitalRain

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
Could it be that soy in the West is processed in ways that makes it harmful while in the East it's pure, organic unprocessed...with no preservatives or artificial fertilizers in its growing stages to that it has no side-effects?

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is the case, then they should blame the negative effects on the way soy is processed, not on soy itself.

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe it could be that the "research" conducted was at the behest/sponsorship of the Dairy Council (or some other dairy-associated lobby that has a direct interest in diverting $$$ away from the growing soy market in the US).

Don't mind me...I'm just feeling cynical today.

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
Nyambura said:
Or maybe it could be that the "research" conducted was at the behest/sponsorship of the Dairy Council (or some other dairy-associated lobby that has a direct interest in diverting $$$ away from the growing soy market in the US).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Girl, ya never know.

Perhaps the idea is to do all things in moderation? For instance, liver is good for you; too much and you get cholesterol. Vegetables are great; too much and you get gas/bloating. Red wine is good for your blood; too much and you get alcohol-related problems. Carbs are great for energy; too much and you put on weight. So it may just boil down to this: "Too much of anything (even a good thing) is bad for you."

Valerie

Very interesting article, but I really think it is how the Soy is processed in the West, as compared to it in the East.

Sade7

Also keep in mind that the article is talking about soy MILK (you know, the white stuff
), so although whoever, wherever may do whatever with soy.... I think it's only referring to soy MILK..... BUT I've been wrong b4 so who knows? Maybe it's something that goes array in the milk-making process

The article states that it Could cause hair loss. Letting me to believe their not even sure themselves. I would suggest if you drink soy milk to purchase it from your local asian grocer or buy organic.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Nyambura said:
[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think there are "special interests" going on, mainly with the American Dairy Association. More and more people are consuming soy milk these days (you can find it at most regular grocery stores now, not just health stores) and maybe the milk industry is losing money.

Also, I learned somewhere that scientists in this country have isolated a certain component of soy and inserted that in numerous products, putting soy on the labels. Then later articles state that it is harmful, when it was never the whole soy product anyway. I've learned that these components of soy work in synergy and should never be isolated.

As Prettyblac and Koreanblaq were mentioning, the soy products have always been staples in Asian countries and are excellent for health, longevity, and very beautiful, long hair (most of the wigs and weaves are made with Asian hair).

1god1

I just purchased Soy milk for the first time....in an effort to mix it with other stuff to lose weight and came upon this old thread. Has anyone experienced issues using Soy milk?

Forever in Bloom

I just purchased Soy milk for the first time....in an effort to mix it with other stuff to lose weight and came upon this old thread. Has anyone experienced issues using Soy milk?

Nope- at least not for me. I drink a soy latte almost everyday from Starbucks. Heck, my hair grew from last month to this month :yep:

Soy is considered to be like junkfood for vegetarians, but I consider it to be a good part of my diet. Anytime I start consuming more, it seems like weight just drops off!

lovelexi

i've been drinking protein shakes with soy seemed like it was helping...or maybe that was just the effects of protein.

My Friend

My thoughts are the same regarding this subject

Researching

Well ladies. I'm a soymilk lover and a newbie who just got from APL to BSL and I started my hair journey in the beginning of March. I've been at BSL for about two weeks now so that adds up to three inches in 3 months. That's an inch a month! My hair has NEVER been this long!!! I drink soy milk every single day b/c regular milk gives me terrible gas lol.