Soy Protein Warning!

CICI,

That's good information you left for reading. For myself, I have many reservations about the soy craze. Everyone has to decide for themselves and I think your post was a positive contribution to that.

~Jade~

i'm not too convinced of this site. one i have read many reports from several doctors and other health experts who rejoice soy for its wonders to the health. i have not seen anything to the contrary about it and calling it dangerous to anyone or to the environment. i am not jumping on the anti-soy bandwagon because soy does provide a lot nutriously and this site which i dont believe to be credible doesnt convince me otherwise. God bless you all.

I am a vegetarian and probably about 60% of the food I eat contains soy. I eat the soy based vegetarian cheese, butter, hotdogs and tvp (textured vegetable protein)and I drink soy milk every day of my life. I must say that since I have incorporated soy products into my diet, the quality of my life have changed for the better. I am a lot healthier now than I was before soy. My body feels balanced, my skin has a beautiful healthy glow that I am always getting compliments about.I am 28 but people often think i am 18. I don't attribute all the positive changes in my body to soy but without a doubt it is creating a positive impact on my life.

My mother also eats a tremendous amount of soy products. She is 49 and going through menopause without any problems at all. She attributes her smooth "changing of life" to her soy based diet.

I know everybody if different but my household and I sing the praises of soy.

I'm not on the soy bandwagon, but I do drink soy milk because of I can't digest the lactose in dairy. I can't say whether the statements are true or not, but there's soooo much else that we Americans consume that is dangerous to our heatlth that I just ain't gonna shake on this one. For example:

Sugar: we over-consume tons of refined sugar which is like poison the human digestive system -- lets cut back on THAT!

Wheat: our farming practice is so crazy that instead of "whole wheat" we get this stuff that is so devoid of nutrients (because we strip the soil with chemicals) that we have to put synthetic vitamins and minerals BACK in the final product -- does this make sense?

Dairy Products: we over-feed the cows with so much hormones and salt (so that they get fat and produce way more milk then is "natural), that we have a statistically larger percentage of americians who have developed an allergy to dairy (lactose). I am one of those americans.

I mean, we got major issues with food processing in this country to worry about soy. Furthermore, I've read/heard that the farming industry here in the states is scared S---less that the benefits of soy is gonna leave them flat broke because folks are catching on to this relatively cheap, nutritious, lactose-free source of protein.

I just don't buy it. But, that's just me!

I was a vegetarian for a few years and what helped me make that decison to become a vegetarian was what I learned in my Environmental Science course. I was so scurred; I didn't want to eat anything that was remotely related to a cow.

I also am somewhat lactose intolerant, so soy was a natural choice, but now I prefer Rice Milk.

I used to drink soy beverages because milk does unpleasant things to my stomach. My reservation with soy 'milk' was that it seemed to make my cycles irregular.

I know that soy has been used in asian cultures for centuries, but I doubt that they had all of the pre-packaged and preserved forms, such as soy 'milk', that we are now getting into. I read that soy seemed to have a positive effect (for women, in particular) if it has been incorporated into the diet since childhood, as with asian cultures. My guess would be that they eat more tofu.

Sigh...but I really started to like the carob flavored soy 'milk' and the Vanilla Almondo shake from Odwalla lol. Maybe I'll look into organic milk or something.

[ QUOTE ]
CICI24 said:
I found this really disturbing site about soy protein It seems like it is true. Check this out specifically for those of us who are taking soy protein supplements and who are thinking about trying soy

www.westonaprice.org/myths_truths/myths_truths_soy.html

[/ QUOTE ]

how hilarious.....Anyone could have printed/typed this. they do not even list accredited sources of information.

Hey Bronzedmuse: thanks for the info I eat soy yogurt with a tablespoon of flaxseed oil every morining and have noticed I can tolerate people better during my PMS time. I would love to become a vegetarian. "B" how long have you been a vegetarian? and what foods did you start out eating first?
smile.gif

<font color="purple">I have to agree with azuli1. I don't know where they get such information on the dangers of soy products. There's no proof on these theories that makes it dangerous. Here in Indiana, farmers have been growing and producing soybeans for different manufacturing purposes besides food.

I happen to love soy milk more than cow's milk. And for some of us who going into menopause, it's more important to include soy foods in our diet to prevent hot flashes and such. Vegetarians and Vegans will be upset if soy protein could cause a threat to their lifestyle. My advice is simply put, do not go by these theories that makes us aware that some foods i.e. soy products can be a dangerous threat without some evidence from a viewpoint of a doctor or a scientist. </font>

Hello Jancan,
I have been a vegetarian for 11 years. I first started out by eliminating meat from my diet, then I eliminated dairy products. While I was in the process of eliminating meat, I went to vegetarian cooking classes to learn how to make healthy meat substitues and healthy desserts.

There are some good web sites with very interesting vegetarian recipes ,if you are interested I can give you the link to some of them.

Hey Bronze, thanks for the info I will try to find a class around here that offers a veg class. When you have time just pm them to me. Thanks again,
Jancan

I'm also vegetarian and soy is about half of my diet. I wonder if a group of anti-soy ,pro-meat people are behind that article. Does anyone see where they even got that info?? And I also agree about the effects of soy on skin and over-all youthful appearance.I'm still carded and I'm 35!
smile.gif

I've been a vegetarian for 12 years and I eat lots of tofu and TVP. I've never had a problem with it. I'm 30 and I look 18. People always compliment me on my smooth skin. And my hair and nails grow at a good rate.

Neroli's comments are true. I've done significant research on the livestock industry in this country (for work) and I would never go back to eating meat.

Oh my. There is a soy protein ingredient in my AlterEgo hair lotion. Thanks for sharing, CiCi. I need to check the bottle tonight when I get home.

If anything they should tell people the truth about how dangerous meat, dairy, and all those processed foods are. These are the reasons behind all cancer, heart attacks, high blood pressure, etc. My family and I have been vegetarians for years and ate soy for years. There's nbothing dangerous about soy, and I bet some meat company or whoever was behind this. The meat and dairy industry don't wanna lose their money so they'll say anything to keep people away from healthy food.

This post is old and I have since talked with a naturopathic consultant and he confirmed that the info is incorrect. He said the estrogen in soy is different from the estrogen used in the body. He said just make sure I use organic soy products only.

Back