"Special" Section of Hair

GeauXavi

This question is for everyone...relaxed, natural, short, long etc.:yep:

Do you have an area of hair that needs extra attention? Maybe the texture/density is different...or the area is more prone to breakage, splits, knots, etc???

How do you care for this area? Do you have a completely different regimen for this "special" area?

Mine is my crown. It is especially difficult to detangle and is more prone to dryness/breakage than the rest of my hair. I use a heavy amount of leave in condish with my braids and twists in that section, and it's been keeping knots/breakage at bay...for now.:perplexed

faithVA

My nape seems to be very soft and fine with out much curl definition. It feels wonderful but it always looks matted. I sweat in that area so it stays extra dry. No matter how I style it, how long it is, what product or no product I put on it, it unravels and curls up into little balls. If I keep it braided/twisted for more than 7 days, it will start to dread. After weaves or extensions I have always lost this part of my hair. And it is major SSK territory.

Recently I have been applying a water/glycerin mix to it more often to keep it extra moisturize. I retwist it or rebraid it every several days. I try to keep head bands of any kind off of it. I am hoping that once it is past SL that it won't curl as much.

thetall1

My nape seems to be very soft and fine with out much curl definition. It feels wonderful but it always looks matted. I sweat in that area so it stays extra dry. No matter how I style it, how long it is, what product or no product I put on it, it unravels and curls up into little balls. If I keep it braided/twisted for more than 7 days, it will start to dread. After weaves or extensions I have always lost this part of my hair. And it is major SSK territory.

Recently I have been applying a water/glycerin mix to it more often to keep it extra moisturize. I retwist it or rebraid it every several days. I try to keep head bands of any kind off of it. I am hoping that once it is past SL that it won't curl as much.

Yes!!! Same here! the nape...very soft, a very loose curl, super frizzy...I have to constantly redo my twists in this area about every few days because of it...Also, a small part of the middle section of my hair is EXTREMELY dense and SUPER dry...I can not and will not ever let this section completely dry without any product, it's complete torture if I do..I have to remoisturize this area twice daily and keep it stretched, otherwise...

LushLox

Another one for the nape, but just the middle. It's shorter than the two sides so I give it extra attention, ensuring every strand is coated with condish or moisturiser. I also focus on massaging the area as often as I can with JBCO. It's slowly getting there.

leiah

I have one strip of hair growing out of the top running down the center of the back of my head that is always drier and frizzier than the rest. A hairdresser told me it's from always being hit with hot water when I face backwards in the shower but i'm not convinced that's the case. I always put extra conditioner on it and if i'm doing something low maintenence low products with the rest of my hair, that section always needs a heavy duty frizz serum

My nape is not as curly as the rest and right now my hair is at an awkward length that looks like a puffy mushroom on top with long stringy hairs in the back. I am so tempted to cut just the nape pieces but I just have to wear my hair up until I grow past this length I know it always evens out eventually

Daeuiel

Cosplay Champ
My edges & nape are much finer and softer than the rest of my hair. I'm keeping the areas mosturized and massaging them with castor oil but it's still a good 2 inches shorter than the rest of my new growth. I worry that I'm gonna look weird when I eventually bc. I hope they catch up! :lol:

grow

for me, it's my crown.

way to dry and wire-y.

i'm still looking for solutions though.....

freshlikemoi

My crown is going to send me to a pre-mature death. --I do however, think it has a lot to do with the manipulation when I'd wear my half weave styles. Yet and still, it the shortest and needs the most conditioning.

Oh yeah, and the section where I would part my hair is relatively thinner than the other side. So I've learned to either A) Alternate my parts B) stop using so much darn heat.

The perimeter of my hair is a different texture it Is very fine and has a looser curl so I baby it. Then my bang has a wavy-2b or 3a curl pattern than the rest of my hair, but the texture is still the same. Lastly my crown is drier, frizzier, and about an inch shorter than the rest of my hair so I load up on moisture ^in that area it's the most dense part of my hair and the hardest to detangle as well

Sent from my iPhone4 using LHCF

sikora

I'm still transitioning, but the relaxed ends in my nape broke off early on and this is exactly how mine behaves as well. I also have to lay off the headbands in that spot :yep:

faithVA

Lastly my crown is drier, frizzier, and about an inch shorter than the rest of my hair so I load up on moisture ^in that area it's the most dense part of my hair and the hardest to detangle as well

I think the hair at my crown is the same as the surrounding hair. However, my scalp in that section seems to be more sensitive. After years of chemical processing this section is less dense. When I was relaxed, it would burn severely during the winter due to dryness. I have been natural for several years and the hair hasn't recovered in that area. I am using BB doctor in a box? or something like that and hoping I can turn it around.

I have enough hair that I can cover this area when I wear twistouts and other styles. But when I wear twists, no matter how small I make them, that area is still very scalpy. :nono:

asakeba

Mine is my crown. It never grows beyond 5 inches. It's very dry, thick and breaks easily. I think I inherited this from my mother as she's always had this problem too. I'm currently at around 5 inches in the crown so I'm going to wear a wig and d/c regularly for 6 months

Your Cheeziness

The section above my nape mostly on the left side can take a slow fall to hell. It's wiry, and coarser (is that word?) and takes extra loving to prevent breakage and matting. That area always slows me down when styling and it's the area I can't ever get straight when blowdrying.

EmeRaldPrinXess

For me, it's my crown area. My crown is the driest, frizziest and kinkiest part of my hair. I think it's mostly 4b in my 4A/B hair. It is a b!%@# to detangle, and dries REALLY fast after being wet:ohwell::ohwell::perplexed:yep:

GeauXavi

My nape is "different" also... It's 3c...or a larger 4a diameter...and it will NOT hold twists... it just coils. It's super-soft, shiny, and hangs more, giving me a perpetual tail.

Actually...I remember that this part never got straight with relaxers...it was just as curly as it is now.

diadall

My crown. It is short, extra dry, brittle and hard to get straight when I want straight and hard to unlock when I go natural.

freecurl

My nape area is the most problematic area on my head. Because of its fine strands, my hair tends to mat there and tangle. Fine hair is extremely challenging to untangle. Most of the time, I just wind up yanking my hair out during detangling. Its already low density, thus the bald spot just gets bigger and bigger.:nono:

libertysince05

My nape area is the most problematic area on my head. Because of its fine strands, my hair tends to mat there and tangle. Fine hair is extremely challenging to untangle. Most of the time, I just wind up yanking my hair out during detangling. Its already low density, thus the bald spot just gets bigger and bigger.:nono:
As bolded, not only is it a pain to detangle it but its also prone to ssk and dryness:nono:.
My other problem area are my edges in front, the hair is too fine and the scalp is generally sore. I'm goint to stop using silk scarfs (i think they are the reason my scalp is sore) to sleep and just use silk pillowcases instead; also i'm gonna try growth aids to fill in the edges.

Missjae09

My nape is definitely my problem area!! it's so frustrating!! It seems to grow much slower than the rest of my hair and that isn't bad enough it just breaks off... for what seems to be no reason. I know that hair doesn't just mysteriously break off for no apparent reason but I can't figure out for the life of me why. The corners of my nape don't seem to break as much.

I think my nape has lower density than the rest of my hair, I also think it's 4b hair. I have a patch that has broken off to the scalp... the breakage has stopped and it seems to be growing back but I don't know for how long.

Not to mention I have medium density hair so I need all of my hair to behave!! lol

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Nape is much shorter than rest of hair and breaks easier than other areas no matter how careful/cautious I am. I'm still looking for solutions as keeping it moisturized/seal is not doing it. Perhaps I should ask the stylist to apply relaxer on this portion of my hair a few minutes before rinsing to keep from over processing and further weakening this area.

I'm noticing thicker density in my crown now that I've delt with some under processing issues a few months back. My hair has been corrected but it just seems denser now.

Last edited:
Yes! My crown is the diva of the bunch. Can you say Diana Ross without Flo, Mary, or Cindy? She requires more moisture, more detangling time and effort, and more patience. Someone told her she's a special snowflake, simply because she's thicker than the rest.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
For me, it's my crown area. My crown is the driest, frizziest and kinkiest part of my hair. I think it's mostly 4b in my 4A/B hair. It is a b!%@# to detangle, and dries REALLY fast after being wet:ohwell::ohwell::perplexed:yep:

SAME HERE!!! :yep:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

SAME HERE!!! :yep: And it's the shortest section of my hair.

jerseygirl1977

My problem is just the left side of my hair. The section right above my ears. The elasticity just isnt there. I try conditioning it and keeping it moisturized but it always grows the same way. It hangs lower than the right side and makes most styles look kind of jacked up and uneven.

AlliCat

My crown is going to send me to a pre-mature death. --I do however, think it has a lot to do with the manipulation when I'd wear my half weave styles. Yet and still, it the shortest and needs the most conditioning.

Oh yeah, and the section where I would part my hair is relatively thinner than the other side. So I've learned to either A) Alternate my parts B) stop using so much darn heat.

freshlikemoi *hugs* how u been? Your hair looks sooo nice in your siggy!!!

My problem area is the right side of my edges. One particular spot is not as thick as I like it. I've stopped using brushes and will start using JBCO as I stretch longer

Lita

Yes! My crown is the diva of the bunch. Can you say Diana Ross without Flo, Mary, or Cindy? She requires more moisture, more detangling time and effort, and more patience. Someone told her she's a special snowflake, simply because she's thicker than the rest.

The section of my hair/left side front/above ears ...Its in a class by itself...Always have to be center stage/no curl or anything & requires a lot of attention...So that is my Miss.Ross Boss

Happy Hair Growing!

ryanshope

My right side. It is where my stress spot is(I tug at this side all the time when I am bothered or in thought), I sleep on that side and my sides in general are more coarse and tightly coiled than the back and the crown. So I have a perpetual mohawk vibe cuz the crown/front and back always outpace the sides for growth.

brg240

the very front edges. Perpetually dry, always breaking off. My nape too, always knotting being generally annoying.

My hair is prone to dryness anyway but those parts are just completely differnt. I agree with divachyk regular moisturizer/seal doesn't do it.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
My crown is the driest and most fragile part of my whole head. It is - in fact - my problem child. It will break in a heartbeat with the slightest provocation. Therefore, I must coddle and cajole it like a 2-year-old child, just to ensure that it doesn't go flying off my head.

(punk arse crown) :look: :lol: