SPF leave-Ins/products? A must for relaxed hair?

I was reading in a magazine that all hair should be protected from the UV rays during the summer, particularly relaxed hair which is already weakened hair. Apparently UV rays can penetrate relaxed hair strands faster, leaving it dryer and more damaged.

Do you use a SPF/UV leave in or product in your hair during summer? I'm thinking of doing this...

Paris Belle

Some products already contain this. Like Luster's Pink Oil (although I don't use it anymore).

I also read about this and the article I read said that you could apply SPF lotion directly to the hair (a small amount)..I might try that. But if they have leave-ins then why not?

Jade21

BRH,

Big hello to you

One thing I wanted to add to what you posted about the importance of the sunscreen for hair, especially chemically processed hair. If you have a touch-up or a fresh color application done, be absolutely sure to stay out of intense sun for several hours after the service. It's supposed to be utterly horrible for the hair. Something like an extra-intense version of what BRH described.

I am not relaxed, but I would highly recommend the Infusium 23 UV Protectant formula, especially if you already use Infusium. If you are having problems locating it in the stores, you can order directly. Well worth the investment. I've been using it for several years now and have been most pleased. No fried, oxidated hair!

Most of Giovanni's hair products contain a sunscreen. The Direct Stay-In is a rich, creamy leave-in. The Vita-Profusion is much lighter, but protects the hair well.

I've heard the same about applying sunscreen lotion or cream directly to your hair. It's fine to do. I know several MEN who golf and do this all the time in the summer. I've done this myself, but only when I know that I will be out for extended periods AND I make sure to wash my hair thoroughly.

~Jade~

mirrormirror

Re: SPF leave-Ins/products? A must for relaxed hair?

Ive noticed that most leave-in conditioners contains SPF. methoxycinnamate, benzophene.......just to name a few.

lunalight7

BRH,
I know that my Headdress has a sunscreen. Also, I just purchased John Frieda's Life Prserver Oil and I cant wait to try it out on my cruise in July. I will post results.

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
Ive noticed that most leave-in conditioners contains SPF. methoxycinnamate, benzophene.......just to name a few.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just checked my Motions leave in... neither of those are listed
. I'm not sure of the names of other SPF's. But anywho, I'm gonna buy some Infusium UV... thanks Jade

Tracy

I us an SPF - but only by accident....

I used the one Jade recommended by Infusium sometimes and otherwise...I just use whatever I use and leave it at that...

I do bring a scarf with me for days at the beach to act as a physical sun protectant.

lunalight, I have Headdress and didn't realize it had spf in it. Thanks!

Tracy, I like the idea of a scarf or even a baseball cap come to think of it.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

so1913

I realized a while back that most of the leave ins I've used contained sunscreen. It appears as though a lot of the products now have it. See, we've been doing good things for our hair without even knowing it!