SPIN OFF- Hair Love At The Salon

Dijah

Just finished reading the thread about hate at the salon.

How about love at the salon?

I've been going to the same salon for at least 10 years. I started during the time I was all about the Halle cut, I'm still fighting the urge to cut my hair every time I see a great cut.

While I was getting my hair done yesterday I noticed all the stylist have great hair. It is a multi ethnic salon. Different race stylist and different race clients.
When clients are getting a cut, they are always facing the mirror. The ladies have the hand mirror on the ready whenever you want to see what going on in the back.

My stylist is amazing. I let her know that I wanted to grow my hair and she was very supportive. She looked through my hair and agreed I didn't need a trim.
I told her how I basically use Infusium and Coconut oil on my hair, she said I should try olive oil too. And she told me to add an egg to my conditioner for extra protein when I wash.

The clients all leave happy and are smiling while waiting.

Okay ladies what are your POSITIVE salon stories?

Dijah

I'm so sad that no one has a positive story to tell.
I guess that is why so many ladies take care of the hair at home.

Chevelure618

I lost touch with a great sylist. I told him about my goals of growing my hair very long. He listened and respected it and told me "it's so great to have a client who knows about hair". When he trimmed my hair, he had me to stand up, back facing the mirror with a hand-held so I could watch just where he was going to cut. Then he did just what I asked. The trim took about 30 seconds. He didn't go all through my hair evening things up. He did the hemline and that's it. He said he would not do more because it would be too traumatic for me. He also said that most women would love to have hair like mine...made me feel great. He happened to be a gay male stylist. He was always funny, with great, funny stories to tell as he did my hair. I told him I would double his tip if I didn't leave there crying and I did ($20).

We lost touch because he got a bad attitude when I was late once, and when I was talking on my cell when I was sitting with the conditioner. I went to someone else after that and now I want him back. His cell phone is always off. I had bumped into him but I gave him my number and stupid me I didn't take his.

That's my good story.

Mz.MoMo5235

i had a good experience once... but then it turned bad when i washed my hair and it didnt curl any more (heat damage).

oh! when i go to super cuts they dont cut too much. they dont talk much. there
s usually always new people every time i go though. and people dont keep there kids under control. but they never cut too much :D

lovelexi

I've been going to the same salon for at least 10 years. I started during the time I was all about the Halle cut, I'm still fighting the urge to cut my hair every time I see a great cut.

While I was getting my hair done yesterday I noticed all the stylist have great hair. It is a multi ethnic salon. Different race stylist and different race clients.
When clients are getting a cut, they are always facing the mirror. The ladies have the hand mirror on the ready whenever you want to see what going on in the back.

My stylist is amazing. I let her know that I wanted to grow my hair and she was very supportive. She looked through my hair and agreed I didn't need a trim.
I told her how I basically use Infusium and Coconut oil on my hair, she said I should try olive oil too. And she told me to add an egg to my conditioner for extra protein when I wash.

wow thats a really great story. too bad i dont have any positive stories.

LittleLuxe

I, sadly, don't have one but I'm always happy to hear about something positive. I hope more ladies can share a salon experience like yours in their very near future :)

brucebettye

I had a wonderful hair stylist I could go to everytime I would grow out my perm when I wore braids. One time I came into a new salon that she had went to with my thick shoulder length unpermed hair. You should have seen the other stylists and clients looking at me all funny with all my kinky hair. Once my stylist got finished with my hair and had it straight and bouncy all the people were in shock and awe at how good she did my hair. One stylist even commented on the fact she did not think she could get my hair straight. She was a great stylist but I don't go to her anymore because of her personal problems. I did go to her for over 6 years and she could always grow my hair to shoulder length but I could never get past it. She always made my hair look good no matter what I did to my hair. Also she only trimmed or cut my hair if it was needed or I did something crazy to my hair.

I noticed on this board so many people come across bad hair stylest, for the most part in my hair life I have had very good stylists. But at this time in my life I am learning how to take care of my hair and I really like it so I have become a DIY person. But one of my friends recommended a good stylist to me. I will give her a try since my girlfriend's hair is past bsl and natural and that stylist can get her natural hair perm straight.

Last edited:

Dijah

I noticed on this board so many people come across bad hair stylest, for the most part in my hair life I have had very good stylists. .

Great story, I agree with the above quote. I wonder why there seems to be sooo many bad stylist?

MissMusic

I LOVE my stylist. I am a do it yourselfer so I do not go to her often and I have moved, so I can only go to her when I go home. She relaxes my hair and keeps it healthy. She does not let me hang on to split ends, but she does not cut if I do not have split ends. She can slap on a relaxer, smooth and take that bad boy off, no leaving it on for 10 minutes or more. She can flat iron, curl, do wet sets and all for more than reasonable prices.

I have lots of love for good stylists. There are good as well as bad stylists, just like every other industry. You have to be willing to pay for quality service just as you would anywhere else. You have to be willing to grill a stylist about their hair care practices and you have to be willing to stop someone from doing damage to your hair as well as listen to advice. Just like finding a doctor, good food, etc. you have to try out various stylists before you find the right one, but they are out there.

wish4length

This lady and I kept staring at one another and finally she said "You have beautiful skin" to which I replied "I was thinking the exact same thing about you"...

I also had one lady touch my hair and kept complimenting on how soft it was to be so thick...

Faux

When I was younger (10-13) I had MBL relaxed hair. Every time I'd go get a touch-up, the ladies would fawn over how long my hair was. When the hairdresser was shampooing, they'd all gather around because my hair was long enough to go down the drain. o_O

HappilyLiberal

One thing...

I have found that using just the egg yolk really gets the protein in.

Boujoichic

Thanks so much Op for the positive topic! I had a stylist a few years ago who did an amazing job my hair was so healthy while seeing her. I saw her at a multi ethnic salon called Bubbles she would always compliment me on how soft my hair was. I kept a short cut at the time but she always kept me looking nice unfortunately she left that location and I wasnt able to find her again.

danysedai

Mine is great at relaxing my hair and rollersetting,I don't let her do a haircut,just trims but she is with me with my hair goals as of course a beautiful head of hair is advertising for her salon. when I go,she makes lunch for both of us,we have drinks (dominican mamajuana lol which I looove),she has merengue or bachata on.I say i'm dominican by adoption lol
She compliments me on my hair when I have hair anorexia,I have her using and buying my beloved Alfaparf,Chi,Kerastase and Affirm mild :)

India*32

This lady and I kept staring at one another and finally she said "You have beautiful skin" to which I replied "I was thinking the exact same thing about you"...

I also had one lady touch my hair and kept complimenting on how soft it was to be so thick...

Hey,

I love this ladies hair from Wanakee. Pier Bolton. I saw this photo back in 1999 when I ordered Wanakee's products. If I had been diligently wearing PS like Wankee stated, I should have the length of Ms. Bolton. Well I'm growing it out after my bc last May 09 and now its NL and relaxed. Happy Hair Growing.

India

Rei

I have two good stories! although one was mixed with a horror story. The first one is the salon I used to go to here, I was transtioning and was afraid that the stylist would just rip through my NG, but when I brought up my concerns, she pointed with her comb to a picture of her daughter hanging on her stall and pretty much said "my little girl has naps just like yours, down to her waist. If I can handle hers, I can handle yours" and let me tell you she was the BEST hairdresser I've ever gone to. I later found out that she was a straightened natural herself:yep: I never feel like I have to practically blowdry my hair first before going to her to get a style done, and she works that Chi iron out something fierce:blush: I stay trying to replicate her results at home

The second story was a typical horror story about this ignant stylist ripping my hair out with a blowdryer. It was made all the more comical because I had brought my white friend with me (we got our hair done at different salons, but she had finished early and was waiting), and she was just staring in horror at the entire affair thinking "WTF why is everyone acting like this is normal!? ", so I finally lost my patience and told her that she was ripping my hair out and if she didn't know how to blowdry natural hair she should've just told me in the first place. And this lady who also worked there with dreads just came around the divider, snatched the blowdryer out of the woman's hands and said "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT". And let me tell you, i barely felt that blowdryer:blush: And my hair got straight as a pin. Purely professional. I asked her to just finish the entire job. The other stylist was salty as hell but, hey.

SingBrina

My salon is awesome, nobody hates in there, and if they do they know how to keep it on the DL and keep the business mannerism in tack. My hair lady loves making my hair look nice, does not believe in chopping my new growth out and warns me the dangers of what I am doing to my hair. She wants to see my hair healthy and thriving and compliments me when it grows longer. Should she say "Is that all yours?" its not to be rude, rather a compliment to say "your hair has grown." I take no offense. I love my shop and I wont go to any other. Yay to 951 Hair Salon in Cali, Moreno Valley

ScorpioBeauty09

I absolutely LOVE my salon!! Everybody there is so nice and always exchanging hair tips and complimenting each other on our hair. I'm even friends with the stylists who don't do my hair. I swap between getting my hair braided and pressed and the two people that do my hair are awesome!! Not to mention the people in this salon are HILARIOUS!!!:lachen:Yesterday I got my hair braided for a trip to Hawaii and I was just laughing the whole time which was great because I was a little down in the dumps and experiencing some reverse culture shock after being in Europe for 2 months and this was exactly what I needed.

My stylist who presses my hair is amazing and always giving me hair suggestions. I practically have to beg him to trim my ends lol. He's always complimenting me when he notices growth too.

Janet'

My current hair stylist and colorist is excellent...She's just a little heavy-handed and I am a tender-headed gal but she specializes in natural hair, she is natural and so are all of her daughters...I refer her out often and people are satisfied. There really are some good stylists out there, and there are several on this forum!

khpooh

The salon I went to back in the Caribbean was like one big family. St. kitts is a small island so everybody new everybody. The salon was an extension of someone's house so we'd head to their back yard and say hi to the owner's family who lived in the house, they'd laugh and chat about new events on island or funny things that happened. If one client or stylist had an issue we'd all be up in their life story listening and supporting. If someone was going to order a lunch they'd ask if anyone else in the shop wanted anything too. My favorite time to go get my hair done was when soaps would be on. EVERYBODY would be watching and yelling at the people on screen, laughing together or saying what they would do differently if they were in the show. It was an awesome place to be. :meme:

bimtheduck

My stylist good enough. (she always overbooks and I have to wait forever!) but what I'm really looking for is a great stylist.

I can't remember ever having any horror stories but my best salon experience was 3 years ago. My regular stylist from Regis was on vacation so I got my hair cut at Trade Secret by a male stylist, to this day that is THE best haircut I've ever had. The salon was having some sort of Paul Mitchell class that day and John Paul DeJoria was there and complimented me on my hair cut. Its really vain but that made me so happy and I smile whenever I think about it. Sadly I don't live in Austin anymore or I would def. go back to that stylist!

Now that I'm back in Houston I want to find a stylist that will do that for me.

newbeginnings2010

I'm lucky because my current stylist (when I go to her) trims only when necessary and usually she doesn't trim enough to my liking (I'm my own worst SHS :lol:). Once I went behind her and trimmed more at home and she was soooo mad when she found out on my next visit! She was like, "Ohhh, I'm glad you told me because I KNOW I didn't cut all this hair off!" :lachen:She is also good about mostly cutting the damage and not the length. I had to beg her to even up my hair because my right side grows faster than my left!

Now as far as transitioning, I think she rips through my hair toooo much (with a small-tooth comb! :wallbash:), but when I tell her, she just hands me a large-tooth comb and lets me detangle it myself. I love her!:love2: