BIG DRAMA AT THE HAIR SALON

Lucia

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
JerseyGirl said:

My daughter took one look at the owner and said “YOU – are you crazy?” It looks like the last person’s hair that you styled was MOSES. I don’t want you touching my hair.
She got up from the chair and told her father “Let’s get out of this dump”. Her father said wait I have to pay the bill. He paid the owner of the salon and this woman had the nerve to ask if he would like to make an appointment for my daughter for next time. My daughter said “Next time, please woman there will be no next time. This is the first and last time you will ever see my face.” Her father said let me give the stylist a tip. My daughter said “Tip? The only tip she needs is that she should get another job. Give me that money. Let’s go Daddy. I am sick of these people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe she would have been more tactful if she were an adult, but why be tactful when some stylists just jack up your hair for no good reason except profits or jealousy.
I think you have done a good job raising a girl who will be a women that refuses to be a victim. Nice-shmice

ROFLMAOT
she jumped on that stylists head

PracticallyMe

High Powered Lurker
Girl, that was some drama! I think some children are just outspoken and they haven't quite got a handle on tact just yet. I know some grown folks that have no tact at all. My 4 year old is outspoken like that. She just says anything, and I have to get on her all the time. When I was little, I was so reserved and stayed in a child's place. Why is my child just the opposite? I think you just have to cultivate the spirit a bit

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
That's actually a very humorous story. BUT, I am a teacher and I believe that children should be more respectful towards adults. Did anyone correct her on this? Just curious...

MissJ

Did your daughter get a whooping after talking to grown folks like that? *just wondering*

I mean, what could have possibly gone wrong with the hairstyle for her to have that kind of reaction? Was it THAT bad? I'm sure the stylist didn't mean any harm and was doing the best that she could.

TsAngel

Out of the mouths of babes.............the whole truth nothing but the truth!!!! I, personally, thought it was funny and cute! We have to be mindful that she is a child. As she grows and matures, the tactfulness or the matter-of fact tone will be learned and utilized but right now she just said what was on her mind and probably on the minds of others who were afraid to say anything.

Yes, if I had said that at 7, I'd probably still be picking my freckles off the wall. If you are over the age of 25, your parents raised you based off their upbringing. Let me just speak of myself, my grandmother was hush, hush...children are to be seen and not heard. That may have worked then and I stress then. In today's time, kids need to be able to freely speak and express their opinions. As a adults, we need to be receptive and open. I work with the youth (10+) and we have rap sessions with the girls and boys separately and we've even had teen sessions. In these sessions,they can say or talk about anything and the adults are not allowed to be judgemental or to reprimand nor are we allowed to tell the parents unless it is detrimental to the child, but you'd be amazed at what the kids are up against and we want them to be able to say something.

I'm getting windy....just be mindful that she's only 7.

kreeme

"And to allow that behavior to go on in the salon for any length of time is emabarrasing and a reflection on the parents."

EXACTLY!!! I would have been walking out of there with a size 8.5 in my *** if I EVER cut a fool like that. I don't agree that it was "cute"...IMO that behavior is not cute from a 7 year old. One little remark would have been okay, but she went into depth calling people out and putting people down. I see nothing cute about that at all.

Robin41

JG, she sounds like she is DEFINITELY your daughter!!! Seems like I remember an old thread where you told a wild story about you going off on somebody but I can't remember the details.

If I had talked to an adult like that when I was 7, I would have been knocked half-way across the room.

Pumpkin

Wow. I think all of those harsh words were unecessary, especially coming from a 7-year-old to an adult. How would you feel if someone's child spoke to you that way? There is a way to address a problem and be tactful at the same time. I was seven not too long ago and had similar situations where my hair looked terrible. I simply said, "I really don't like the way this looks on me can you fix it?" and it was done. I can understand if after a 2nd request the woman jacked her hair up, but to be so rude and so young is uncalled for.

If she does not change, she will have a harsh reality check in a few years. She sounds just like my sister and I can tell you my sister's mouth has not gotten her anywhere. I am sure your daughter will go places because my sister is just a plain nut, but I think there are better ways to address problems. Just think, if you did something not up to par at work and your boss proceded to call your work crap and use that same tone? Then called address friend/co-worker "You over there!" I don't think you would be too thrilled. That looks like your daugther has no respect for anyone if she can talk down to a person that had nothing to do with her hair. At least if she said "Miss"

I have learned that being tactful when the situation merits it has gotten me quite far and at 21 I still have respect for my elders. As an adult people really don't have to deal with you or your attitude so being tactful helps. Be assertive but not rude.

Lindy

MissJ said:
I mean, what could have possibly gone wrong with the hairstyle for her to have that kind of reaction? Was it THAT bad? I'm sure the stylist didn't mean any harm and was doing the best that she could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question...I was wondering the same thing...

Lindy

Robin41 said:
JG, she sounds like she is DEFINITELY your daughter!!! Seems like I remember an old thread where you told a wild story about you going off on somebody

[/ QUOTE ]

Goes to show that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, huh?
Why is that not surprising??? Sorry to say, but I knew she had to have learned that kind of behavior somewhere!

MissJ

Ok, by the way when I asked if she got a whooping it was a rhetorical question. I don't want to offend the lady or her daughter, but for them to sit there and laugh at the situation is just encouraging this type of behavior which many of us feel is not acceptable. I'm one for sparing people's feelings, and I can only wonder how the stylist felt after that ordeal. There's nothing wrong with the child expressing herself, but maybe you should tell her the correct way to do it. If you sit there and laugh about it just makes her do it more. It's called positive reinforcement. Having majored in psychology, I know that this child's behavior will not change unless you show her that all the drama is not necessary. If she had been a few years older and done that she may have had a fight on her hands. By the way, I just know that your daughter and husband got talked about BIG TIME after they left the salon! I'm sure that you really don't want her to have a bad reputation, especially at such a young age.

JenJen2721

Supergirl said:
That's actually a very humorous story. BUT, I am a teacher and I believe that children should be more respectful towards adults. Did anyone correct her on this? Just curious...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree..children say whatever's on their minds, but they can be taught tact. My 5 y/o daughter will tell someone if their breath smells, but she'll get real close to them and wave her hand in front of her nose and the person (sometime me) will say, "What does my breath stink?" and she'll nod her head. She hates bad breath, but she's not like "Oh, yo breath stank!"

Children can be taught to say things honesty, but respectively. Especially at the tender age of 7.

vevster

I agree w/ most of the posters. That little girl sounds very fresh she needed to be corrected by her parents. That is no way to speak to adults. SHE IS A CHILD. If she didn't like her hair she has the right to say so, but not THAT WAY. My niece is fresh also! But they correct her as necessary.

jd_bdfly

I think it's pretty cool that your daughter speaks her mind like that. I'm sure she'll learn how to be more diplomatic as she gets older. I recently watched a show that pointed out that parents tend to try to steer their children into particular gender roles. So girls generally are taught to be nice and polite at all costs or that it is rude to speak up, while boys are generally given free reign because "boys will be boys." Thus, as they get older passivity becomes more and more entrenched. Just thought it was something interesting to note for this topic.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
JerseyGirl said:
My husband said that he wanted to laugh so badly and couldn&amp;#8217;t even say anything because she said everything for him. When he got outside he laughed his head off. My daughter was highly upset and insulted by her experience. And said I will never come back here again.

But I have learned a lesson from my own child. Here, is a 7 year old girl who spoke up for herself. She didn&amp;#8217;t need her father to speak for her. I have been to hair salons and hated my style, cut or color and just paid and even tipped the stylist. NEVER AGAIN, if a 7 year old can do it. So can I. Just wanted to share.

[/ QUOTE ] That had to be the most obnoxious story I have ever read in my life. You may think that sort of behavior is cute now, but once she's older and showing that kind of disrespect towards you, perhaps you will understand that people must teach children to respect others, even in times of offence.

henrilou

to steer their children into particular gender rol

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, Gender roles?? If a 7 year old BOY spoke like that it's STILL rude. If I understand correctly NO HARM had been done to the child, she wasn't in pain... So to behave in that manner towards an ADULT in a public place shows lack of home training...

Paris Belle

jd_bdfly said:
I think it's pretty cool that your daughter speaks her mind like that. I'm sure she'll learn how to be more diplomatic as she gets older. I recently watched a show that pointed out that parents tend to try to steer their children into particular gender roles. So girls generally are taught to be nice and polite at all costs or that it is rude to speak up, while boys are generally given free reign because "boys will be boys." Thus, as they get older passivity becomes more and more entrenched. Just thought it was something interesting to note for this topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

She will only learn how to be diplomatic if she is TAUGHT to be so. And as far as gender roles are concerned, typically women are not taught how to speak up for themselves, however that doesn't mean when they do, they should do so in a rude/non-diplomatic manner. I totally agree with henrilou!

I told my mother this story and she didn't find it funny at all.
She felt that the woman's husband should have made their daugther apologize right away for her behavior. And that she should always remember that she is a CHILD. But it is the parent's responsibility to teach her that.

In this situation, I would have taken my child back to the salon and had my child apologize. Yes, it would cause the child some embarassment, but she would learn to stay in her place and to show some respect.

Integrity

Honey Vibe said:
JerseyGirl said:
My husband said that he wanted to laugh so badly and couldn&amp;#8217;t even say anything because she said everything for him. When he got outside he laughed his head off. My daughter was highly upset and insulted by her experience. And said I will never come back here again.

But I have learned a lesson from my own child. Here, is a 7 year old girl who spoke up for herself. She didn&amp;#8217;t need her father to speak for her. I have been to hair salons and hated my style, cut or color and just paid and even tipped the stylist. NEVER AGAIN, if a 7 year old can do it. So can I. Just wanted to share.

[/ QUOTE ] That had to be the most obnoxious story I have ever read in my life. You may think that sort of behavior is cute now, but once she's older and showing that kind of disrespect towards you, perhaps you will understand that people must teach children to respect others, even in times of offence.

[/ QUOTE ]

go honeyvibe!

Chyna Red

I don't find that behavior cute either. Matter of fact, it is very inappropriate for a child to talk to any adult that way. I agree that she needs to be taught that while it's okay to express yourself, there is a tactful way to do it, before she runs into someone who doesn't find her self-expression so "cute" if you know what I mean.

My daughter said “Tip? The only tip she needs is that she should get another job. Give me that money. Let’s go Daddy. I am sick of these people.

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of behavior should be nipped in the bud now, if not, she will running your household when she is about 13 or 14 and judging from the comment above, seems like she is well on her way.

Integrity

Chyna Red said:
I don't find that behavior cute either. Matter of fact, it is very inappropriate for a child to talk to any adult that way. I agree that she needs to be taught that while it's okay to express yourself, there is a tactful way to do it, before she runs into someone who doesn't find her self-expression so "cute" if you know what I mean.

My daughter said “Tip? The only tip she needs is that she should get another job. Give me that money. Let’s go Daddy. I am sick of these people.

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of behavior should be nipped in the bud now, if not, she will running your household when she is about 13 or 14 and judging from the comment above, seems like she is well on her way.

[/ QUOTE ]

chyna red, i know. some people have actually lost their lives cos they didnt or would not speak to a stranger in a polite/appropriate manner. the way things are going sometimes speaking in an appropriate tone can be a matter of life and death or injury or even jail.

Integrity

Lindy said:
Robin41 said:
JG, she sounds like she is DEFINITELY your daughter!!! Seems like I remember an old thread where you told a wild story about you going off on somebody

[/ QUOTE ]

Goes to show that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, huh?
Why is that not surprising??? Sorry to say, but I knew she had to have learned that kind of behavior somewhere!

[/ QUOTE ]

robin i read the thread, your memory is amazing!

JerseyGirl

I have tried to reply but my home computer needs to be upgraded. It keeps crashing.

You ladies are right. At first when I heard the story, I punished her (if you know what I mean). I was completely outraged but after a couple of days of recalling the story. I laughed. I told my mother, the Queen of CHILDREN SHOULD BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD. She laughed also but told me to punish her because she is too outspoken and your going to have nothing but headaches as she hit her teen years.

She did mention to me that twice she tried to get her father's attention and tell him she didn't like her style but he was outside talking. I got on him because he left her by herself and instead of talking to his friends he should have been there looking at what was going on. She is only a child and why didn't he say something. Believe me ladies, I cursed him out. She would have never done this if I was there. I told her the next time she goes to the salon it will be when she is 21 and paying for it herself.

My 17 year old son still finds it upsetting. He also feels that she is too outspoken and finds himself correcting her on a daily. He told her "You thought you were grown because you were getting your hair done. But guess what you are only 7. Even if the woman didn't do your hair to your liking, act like you got some common sense and talk to Daddy, don't be disrespectful". He is toooooooo respectfully and talks with intelligence and tactfulness. This is a kid that approaches adults with an "Yes, Sir - No, Sir". Not an ounce of trouble with this one.

So ladies, pray for me with my daughter. Because she is going to put me in the grave with that mouth of hers. So far I have been able to control her with that look that so many mothers give their kids. It means "Suck it up and Shut Up or otherwise I'll have to open up that CAN OF WHIP ASS."

pebbles

JerseyGirl, I think your son is a testimony that you're doing something right, and I know you're going to handle business with your daughter.
You can have two different kids and they'll be two entirely different people. With love and discipline, she'll learn.

EXSQUISIT

i have a 4 year old whose mouth runs away with her sometimes and with correction they do come around so be encouraged..you are doing a great job esp considering the fact u didnt let her get away with it...and your son is a testimony to that..seems the younger ones try to get away with more but they learn...

henrilou

She is only a child and why didn't he say something. Believe me ladies, I cursed him out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad that you are concerned about your childs social behavior. However. Seems to me that child needs to be brought back to that salon and made to apologize to the stylist (Can you imagine standing on your feet all day and being told by a 7 year old that your work is crap and you don't deserve a tip??)
1. The stylist needs to hear it
2. Your child needs to empathize with others and their feelings
3. you need to let your child know that YOU are the adult and in control of the situation.

I just get the funny feeling that in this family this child has all the power...not a good thing.

MissJ

I'm glad to hear that you didn't take offense to our commentary. If you are trying to correct the child's behavior that is a great step. I was only concerned because it seemed like you were condoning the child's outbursts in the beginning. Now, it seems that you were not. I hope she learns her lessons in respect well under the instruction of you, your son, and your husband.

Integrity

MissJ said:
I was only concerned because it seemed like you were condoning the child's outbursts in the beginning. Now, it seems that you were not.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know. totally different tones to the 2 posts. In any case I am glad you see what we are saying here. Henrilou made a good point to say the kid needs togo in and apologise. but again, that is upto you and your husband. all the best.