My unpleasant exerience at the salon

Junonia

I just finished getting my hair done at a Dominican Salon Everything was okay until I told her I don't want it blown, only wrapped. She reacted like I told her the grim reaper was standing behind her.

She went off in Spanish how I needed my hair blown because of the two textures. I told her, I don't care, I don't want it blown. She continued to ramble in Spanish about my hair, while the other women in the salon nodded in agreement. She was causing such a commotion that the owner of the salon asked her what was going on. The owner asked if I wanted my hair blown and I said no. The owner had me sit in her chair and she wrapped it for me. She explained why the stylist was so huffy and puffy. I explained to the owner, if a customer does not want something done then the stylist should respect that. I thanked the owner and left.

I have never had an experience like this before at any salon. I will not be going back there again. I don't understand what the big deal was.

ultrasuede

That was just crazy because it's the stylist's job to please the customer.And it was less work for her to just wrap it. I don't blame you I wouldn't
go back to her either.

Good for sanding your ground! She probably did not know what or how to do it as dominican salons are known for their blow outs.

lexi08

I have been to Dominican salons also where they look at you funny if you say you don't want a blow out. But, no one has never mad a big deal about it, that I know of anyway. Frankly I don't go for the blowout any, I don't think my fine hair can take much of that. I go because of the cheap rollersets and the convenience of not having to make an appointment .

PrettyBrownEyes

She probably noticed you had some new growth and wanted to make sure you were pleased with your hair even after you left the salon, with your hair smooth from roots to ends. Sounds like she had not done your hair before and she just wanted to make sure it was at what she considered to be the best. If you go back to her she will probably realize that you are not one that has to have their hair completely straight and will do as you like.

missynoir

wow i can't believe she was upset because you did not want your hair to be blown out. it is your hair and your money.

Last edited:

IntoMyhair

that sucks that she gave such a fit

there is a new Dominican Salon that just opened up they style hair but don't sell products yet the lady i talked to on the phone said she did not have a license yet to sell products but she would in a few weeks

i plan to go to them for a wash and set but i don't want to be blown out (just like you ) i just want them to wrap i want as less heat as possible

you have opened my eyes to what i may have to face
sorry for hijacking your thread

gone_fishing

Well no matter what it's your money and your hair but it sounds like she might must be a perfectionist and to her perfect is not wrapping the hair.

bravenewgirl87

It makes sense to me that she would be upset. Dominicans are known for getting hair straight as straight can be. So, imagine if she allowed you to leave the salon with hair that was...kinky. Her reputation is on the line then.

Good thing you stood your ground. Blowouts are bad for your hair.

Kurlee

wow some hairdressers are a trip, expecially when they talkin about u in front of ur face in spanish! RUDE

imani97

She thinks it is ridiculous to have nappy roots with straight hair. She really took the whole thing personally too. I am still amazed by the whole thing.

That's why I have decided to only go to the Dominicans for my texturizer and that's to two stylists who I KNOW are not afraid to leave texture in my hair. Other than that, I will be doing my hair at home. If I can't manage my hair myself, then it's time for a touch-up. After my last experience, I refuse to lose all of my progress because the stylist decides that my hair is too "hard" or "nappy" and must be tamed! :nono:

glamazon386

I have been to Dominican salons also where they look at you funny if you say you don't want a blow out. But, no one has never mad a big deal about it, that I know of anyway. Frankly I don't go for the blowout any, I don't think my fine hair can take much of that. I go because of the cheap rollersets and the convenience of not having to make an appointment .

Same here. I never got my hair blown when I went to the Dom Salon. Just the roots and then get it pincurled. Of course they would say "You need perm and trim mami" And I'd just say next time. But they never made a fuss about it.

Some people's hair coming out of the rollers did need to be blown out though because it was crinkly. Maybe because they had longer hair and had more hair on the roller. Mines would dry pretty straight. I'm glad you stood up for yourself though. A lot of people don't and just let stylists do whatever to their head. If you don't speak up, that's your own fault.