Spinny: Odd traditions or Rituals at Church

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Thanks Shimmie,

This event is actually a fundraiser event that I am sponsoring for a 3 day revival conference that God give me to do 8 years ago. The conference will be in October. Alot of ladies have been saying that they miss wearing hats so I thought this would be nice for a Saturday afternoon.

That sounds really nice and I mean this. :yep: I'd love to see the pictures of your event and to celebrate your 'special' hat.

Wishing you a wonderful and sucessful event. Churches need to have 'fun' events and this sounds like it's going to make a lot of women very happy. :up:

CoilyFields

And where did the "hoop" come from? (Thats the only word I've heard used to describe it).

Why did the sermons have to end with the Pastor singing his words to music? While the congregation cheered him on? I really wanna know where that came from!!!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I'll wear hats when I get on the Mother Board...

Ya'll know about the mother board dont you? lol

And was it just at my churches where the pulpit was like sacred ground so you couldnt go up there unless you were a pastor/minister?

And don't forget the Nurses Unit. Why do we have "Nurses" at church? Is it that dangerous? And none of these folks are really nurses. But they sure wear their white with the old school FLorence Nightinggale hat!

O' My Goodness! Coiley, my mom's Church (Baptist) has the 'nurses'. As a matter of fact they have a huge committee going on in there.

I remember as a child (about 4 or 5 years old) a woman in Church started shouting and crying in my mom's Baptist Church. And sure enough, two of the 'Nurses' came to her aide. One sat beside her holding her around her shoulders to comfort her and the other one stood over her with a fan. The two women ("Nurses") seemed to know what they were doing; I remember the woman calming down.

Interesting, I don't remember the Church stopping the service. The choir was still singing the entire time. :lol:

Shimmie

Staff member
Thanks Shimmie,

This event is actually a fundraiser event that I am sponsoring for a 3 day revival conference that God give me to do 8 years ago. The conference will be in October. Alot of ladies have been saying that they miss wearing hats so I thought this would be nice for a Saturday afternoon.

This is NICE! :yep: I'm excited about it and I don't even wear hats. :lol:

Please, please share pictures. I wish you much success with this. That all will come to perfect order and that you will be blessed beyond your goals and expectations. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

The ladies are going to have such a nice time with this. I love it. :up:

CoilyFields

O' My Goodness! Coiley, my mom's Church (Baptist) has the 'nurses'. As a matter of fact they have a huge committee going on in there.

I remember as a child (about 4 or 5 years old) a woman in Church started shouting and crying in my mom's Baptist Church. And sure enough, two of the 'Nurses' came to her aide. One sat beside her holding her around her shoulders to comfort her and the other one stood over her with a fan. The two women ("Nurses") seemed to know what they were doing; I remember the woman calming down.

Interesting, I don't remember the Church stopping the service. The choir was still singing the entire time. :lol:

Yup! And bringing that White sheet if someone passed out or in church jargon "got slain in the spirit!".

Dont know if you ladies ever saw the shouting circle. They do this at my MIL church still. The ushers and nurses form a circle holding hands around the person shouting so they are somewhat contained. Her Church is SUPER old school but I love my MIL and will jump right up to do whatever she tells me to in Church (she's an usher-but my arms aren't as trained as hers at keeping the circle locked when they need an extra person...lol).

Rainbow Dash

And where did the "hoop" come from? (Thats the only word I've heard used to describe it).

Why did the sermons have to end with the Pastor singing his words to music? While the congregation cheered him on? I really wanna know where that came from!!!

from this http://endrtimes.blogspot.com/2010/10/black-preachers-who-whoop-minstrels-or.html

Scholars quibble over the origin of whooping.

Most trace it back to West Africa griots, the dramatic storytellers who preserved a people's oral tradition. Some trace it to the "tonal" nature of African languages, the drums of Africa; the need for the slave preacher to rouse the battered spirits of enslaved Africans.

"It's in the DNA of our people," Smith says. "When people were beaten and bruised, the slave preacher, with the intonation of the voice, was able to lift the spirits of the people."

MissMasala5

CoilyFields said:

Per that film I mentioned, Rejoice & Shout, there was a reference to the African tradition of call and response that could explain the hooping. The black American experience does seem to have a lot of similarities to African traditions. Maybe it's handed down in our genes?

Someone in the movie said the quiet, subdude church seemed "unnatural" for blacks. And in some churches, the preacher would encourage members to "feel that spirit". Which is why having the nurses there was important, to assist those being slain in the spirit and keep them from hurting themselves and others. Ever have a portly woman standing in front of you catch the spirit and fall back on you? I have. Thank God for those nurses that got her off of me with the quickness :lol: It made me scared to go to church for a minute, though.

MissMasala5

Health&hair28 said:
from this http://endrtimes.blogspot.com/2010/10/black-preachers-who-whoop-minstrels-or.html

Most trace it back to West Africa griots, the dramatic storytellers who preserved a people's oral tradition. Some trace it to the "tonal" nature of African languages, the drums of Africa; the need for the slave preacher to rouse the battered spirits of enslaved Africans.

"It's in the DNA of our people," Smith says. "When people were beaten and bruised, the slave preacher, with the intonation of the voice, was able to lift the spirits of the people."

Wow, I just posted almost the same thing :yep:

LadyPBC

Ladies... :love3:
How many of you 'here' wear hats to Church?
I'm not a 'hat' person. I've seen some very beautiful styles, though. :yep:
Oh how I loves me a good "church" hat! Love em and wear them as often as I can!:grin:
:lachen::lachen: You have gone too far....This brings back soo many memories. How about testimony service..."First giving honor to God, who is the head of my life. To the pastor, first lady, all the ministers, deacons, mothers, missionaries, saints & friends…”
:lol:
What is the origin of this title? I'm not comfortable using it.

I grew up with Moms wearing alll kinda hats...every color, to match all her church clothes. Despite all that, I never had an affinity for hats, but I'd buy them for her. She's morphed her style now and covers her head with wraps (Nigerian style) most of the time, but still have some of her hats. I have a couple wraps and wear those on ocassions...but for the most part I don't wear hats. Love them, though... Some can take it to the extreme .. :blush: but for the most part, there's nothing more regal IMHO, than a well-dressed sitah at church with a gorgeous hat or head wrap!! Amein~
Now that's what I'm talking about - coordinated from head to toe! That's what I would prefer to wear when not in the choir stand.

Yup! And bringing that White sheet if someone passed out or in church jargon "got slain in the spirit!".
Dont know if you ladies ever saw the shouting circle. They do this at my MIL church still. The ushers and nurses form a circle holding hands around the person shouting so they are somewhat contained. Her Church is SUPER old school but I love my MIL and will jump right up to do whatever she tells me to in Church (she's an usher-but my arms aren't as trained as hers at keeping the circle locked when they need an extra person...lol).
I've seen it and how we make haste to move chairs, microphones, etc. out of the way and block passages so that the person dancing will not hurt themselves or damage anything. We are also enouraged to dance with anyone who is shouting so that they won't have to dance alone.:yep: Thought that didn't come from my pastor and I'm not sure why dancing alone is a bad thing.

How about touching your neighbor throughout the sermon (a million times)?

Now when we are encouraged to stand we will be told to 'rest on our feet'!:lachen:

Shimmie

Staff member

Coily.... lemme tell you. THESE Women are Military Trained. NO JOKE! :strong:

They know what to do and they are armed and ready and don't let them see any children get out of order. The children get that 'eye' from them and they know they had better sit still and behave themselves. And don't be caught chewing gum. :nono: :nervous2:

They're stronger than the Deacons. All the Deacons do is sit and nod and say ''' Waaaa el l l l l :lol: :lol: :lol:

And the Pastors depend upon them to keep the 'House' in order... yes indeed! :bat:

Coily, you have me laughing so hard because I've witnessed almost everything you've mentioned. :lol: I love Church. The people are serious about what they do and they love Jesus. Oh yes they do. They may have traditions, but they know how to call on Jesus and get some serious answers.

BTW: Did anyone mention how some say, "Amend' da!' :lol:

Shimmie

Staff member

Now when we are encouraged to stand we will be told to 'rest on our feet'!:lachen:

:rofl3: :rofl: :rofl:

Lady... this gets me everytime. Rest on your feet.

I gotta say it again, "I love Church". It's the most 'creative' place on earth. :lol:

Shimmie

Staff member
Per that film I mentioned, Rejoice & Shout, there was a reference to the African tradition of call and response that could explain the hooping. The black American experience does seem to have a lot of similarities to African traditions. Maybe it's handed down in our genes?

Someone in the movie said the quiet, subdude church seemed "unnatural" for blacks. And in some churches, the preacher would encourage members to "feel that spirit". Which is why having the nurses there was important, to assist those being slain in the spirit and keep them from hurting themselves and others.

Ever have a portly woman standing in front of you catch the spirit and fall back on you? I have.

Thank God for those nurses that got her off of me with the quickness :lol: It made me scared to go to church for a minute, though.

Oh My Goodness! I know this was scarey. In my former Church, there would be two male ushers assigned to a larger person. They were 'trained' to actually keep them from falling to the point of helping them fall easier to the floor. It's kind of hard to explain it in words. In this Church the ushers had to be ready... :yep:

Shimmie

Staff member
:lachen::lachen: You have gone too far....This brings back soo many memories.

How about testimony service...

"First giving honor to God, who is the head of my life. To the pastor, first lady, all the ministers, deacons, mothers, missionaries, saints & friends…”
:lol:

:lol: Love it.. 'gone too far'. :lol:

I remember my first witness to a testimony service. I thought it would never end, cause with every testimony someone had to clear their throat with every acknowledgement in front of the mic. It was a constant chain reaction of 'throat clearers' with each person. :lol:

CoilyFields

@Health&hair28
Thanks for looking this up! There are so many traditions that have come out of slavery!

Someone in the movie said the quiet, subdude church seemed "unnatural" for blacks. And in some churches, the preacher would encourage members to "feel that spirit". Which is why having the nurses there was important, to assist those being slain in the spirit and keep them from hurting themselves and others. Ever have a portly woman standing in front of you catch the spirit and fall back on you? I have. Thank God for those nurses that got her off of me with the quickness :lol: It made me scared to go to church for a minute, though.

@MissMasala5
Thanks! Yep! The call and response sounds about right. And I must say that even though my current church is more "modern" (though we will tear the place up with a good praise) I do enjoy a good ole' down home CHUCH service every now and then!!!

I guess there are dangers during service! And yep...I have been caught up in somebody elses praise...ducking swinging arms and such! I have a confession...So I chew gum in church (I know I know) and I was in the choir stand, got caught up and TORE THAT CHOIR STAND UP. When I looked up almost the whole first row had been cleared and...my gum was no longer in my mouth! I had to have my friend discreetly looking for my green gum before it got stuck in the carpet! So now when I feel a shout coming on...I take my gum out! lol

Oh how I loves me a good "church" hat! Love em and wear them as often as I can!:grin:

What is the origin of this title? I'm not comfortable using it.

Now that's what I'm talking about - coordinated from head to toe! That's what I would prefer to wear when not in the choir stand.

I've seen it and how we make haste to move chairs, microphones, etc. out of the way and block passages so that the person dancing will not hurt themselves or damage anything. We are also enouraged to dance with anyone who is shouting so that they won't have to dance alone.:yep: Thought that didn't come from my pastor and I'm not sure why dancing alone is a bad thing.

How about touching your neighbor throughout the sermon (a million times)?

@LadyPBC I think the title of First Lady probebly came out of slavery as well since the Preacher was one of the few "respected" positions and probebly one of the reasons some churchs tended to almost praise/revere the pastor. If not...I really dont know. At my last church it seemed natural to call her the First Lady. At my current Church (where my Aunt & Uncle in law are the Pastors and are 40 y/o) it seems weird to even think of her as such.

Coily.... lemme tell you. THESE Women are Military Trained. NO JOKE! :strong:

They know what to do and they are armed and ready and don't let them see any children get out of order. The children get that 'eye' from them and they know they had better sit still and behave themselves. And don't be caught chewing gum. :nono: :nervous2:

They're stronger than the Deacons. All the Deacons do is sit and nod and say ''' Waaaa el l l l l :lol: :lol: :lol:

And the Pastors depend upon them to keep the 'House' in order... yes indeed! :bat:

Coily, you have me laughing so hard because I've witnessed almost everything you've mentioned. :lol: I love Church. The people are serious about what they do and they love Jesus. Oh yes they do. They may have traditions, but they know how to call on Jesus and get some serious answers.

BTW: Did anyone mention how some say, "Amend' da!' :lol:

Shimmie Yeah! My MIL tried to train me one day! She is a goofball so it was more like a football camp!

I agree. I do so LOVE our culture and can appreciate it even if I dont participate in every tradition in our Black Churches.

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
One 'Tradition' (Ritual) of Church is that you can count on being there 'all day'. Just pack the babies bag with plenty of pampers / bottles and the baby quilt, cause you're not getting home until it's dark. :lol:

In my former Church, we'd start early in the morning for intercessory prayer before Service. Actually we started on Saturday by cleaning the Church for Sunday Service. Making sure the chairs were straight, vacuum the carpet, the bathrooms clean, plenty of hand soap, hand lotion, and bathroom tissue.

Ministry of Helps (Church staff and volunteers) meetings. We were ready for Sunday.

This side of the forum is always most quiet on the weekends... :lol: We're prepping for Church on Saturday and in Worship on Sunday. :yep:

Shimmie

Staff member
@Health&hair28
Thanks for looking this up! There are so many traditions that have come out of slavery!

@MissMasala5
Thanks! Yep! The call and response sounds about right. And I must say that even though my current church is more "modern" (though we will tear the place up with a good praise) I do enjoy a good ole' down home CHUCH service every now and then!!!

I guess there are dangers during service! And yep...I have been caught up in somebody elses praise...ducking swinging arms and such! I have a confession...So I chew gum in church (I know I know) and I was in the choir stand, got caught up and TORE THAT CHOIR STAND UP. When I looked up almost the whole first row had been cleared and...my gum was no longer in my mouth! I had to have my friend discreetly looking for my green gum before it got stuck in the carpet! So now when I feel a shout coming on...I take my gum out! lol

@LadyPBC I think the title of First Lady probebly came out of slavery as well since the Preacher was one of the few "respected" positions and probebly one of the reasons some churchs tended to almost praise/revere the pastor. If not...I really dont know. At my last church it seemed natural to call her the First Lady. At my current Church (where my Aunt & Uncle in law are the Pastors and are 40 y/o) it seems weird to even think of her as such.

Shimmie Yeah! My MIL tried to train me one day! She is a goofball so it was more like a football camp!

I agree. I do so LOVE our culture and can appreciate it even if I dont participate in every tradition in our Black Churches.

Amen, Precious Coily. I have to admit that I always feel at home when I'm in a Church of 'our' culture. It's just the way it is, and I love it, I really do. :yep:

As an adult away from my Mom and Dad's way of Worship, I still respect and feel at home whenever I'd attend a Catholic Mass or a Baptist Service. :yep:

Even though I'm 'labeled' as non-denominational, there are many aspects of our Worship that stem from others which includes, Baptist, Catholic, Pentacostal, etc. It's just all there. :yep:

auparavant

We have nurses at catholic mass as well. I think they try and make sure to sign up people available at each mass. We've also got the medical fibulator just in case somebody has a heart attack. The last time I know of someone needing medical attention was during the school mass. A kid just fell down like dead on those hard benches due to the heat. Nurses jumped up and attended. But it's not a cultural thing at all and nobody's shouting...just making sure to have safety in mind. I noticed at another parish that they have trained staff to use the fibulators and have it posted that the machine is at their parish sanctuary, probably in the rectory.

Rainbow Dash

CoilyFields....thanks for starting this thread.

I'm learning more about where many of our black church traditions originated. Our ancestors endured alot and needed encouragement to get through.

Many of our old church songs come from the struggles of slavery as well. For example...

Swing Low Sweet Chariot ....said to be a favourite of Harriet Tubman, the “Moses of her people".

This link has a host of negro spirituals...
http://www.negrospirituals.com/news-song/index.htm

This is making me really wish I went to a church where the ladies wore hats and everybody dresses up. Maybe I'll visit. I want to wear a hat! My church is very come as you are.

Shimmie

Staff member
CoilyFields....thanks for starting this thread.

I'm learning more about where many of our black church traditions originated. Our ancestors endured alot and needed encouragement to get through.

Many of our old church songs come from the struggles of slavery as well. For example...

Swing Low Sweet Chariot ....said to be a favourite of Harriet Tubman, the “Moses of her people".

This link has a host of negro spirituals...
http://www.negrospirituals.com/news-song/index.htm

Health&hair28, I love this thread too... :yep: It's really nice in here, thanks CoilyFields :love2:

Health&hair28. thank you for mentioning our ancestors and how so many of 'our' traditions originated. The song you mentioned is touching my heart and here's partly why.

In college, I took everything "Black" course-wise that was offered. Instead of 'regular' history :rolleyes:, I took African American History, for my PE class, I took African Dance (this lead to the teacher inviting me to join her Dance Troupe, I accepted and the Dance Journey began in learning other cultures).

I found out from my 'History" teacher that in the song 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot', that they were singing about a ship coming to take them back home to Africa. When they sang "I looked over 'Jordan' and what did I see" it was 'code' for the Atlantic River, they were praying for the 'Band of Angels' coming forth on that ship to carry them 'Home' to the 'Mother Land', Africa.

Since learning that, this song makes me cry inside, for I can't help but imagine the hurt they were feeling so deep inside and wanting to be free. It grieves me because 'death' (then) was what they felt was their only 'freedom'.

As a culture, we've paid such a heavy price for life. The only thing that concerns me is that 'here' we were given the true freedom of 'knowing' Jesus Christ. Had we gone back to Africa, would we know God, still? As God answered the cries of the childen of Israel and sent Moses as their 'Exodus', God also heard our cries of our Ancestors and sent us a sure Deliver'...

And now... we got 'hats' and Coily and you and Laela, and auparavant, and BrandNew, and MissMasala, and LadyPBC and Iwanthealthyhair67, loolalooh, GoddessMaker, Sashaa08, TraciChanel, mst1908, nathansgirl1908, growinghealthyhair, lav123, sidney, and @ all of everyone here in our 'forum'...

I'm back on topic... that song just made think of so much we've 'died' for...

--------------------------

Okay Ladies..... NOW. What about the Shoes 'we' wear to Church.

I am SO serious about this. Growing up, it was 'patent leather' shoes for us... :lol: Black patent leather in the Winter and White patent leather for the Spring and Summer. I am not kidding. :lol:

If we wore sandals, we had to wear lace socks (lace anklets) with them. No bare toes were allowed. My family was so 'strict' when it came to 'modesty'. :yep:

I think that's why I'm the way that I am... :lol:

I love Church! Looking back, that's where life started and continues. I loved going to the SDA services. My Mom's sister was Seventh Day Adventist and it was Sabbath from Sunset Friday and all day on Saturday's Sunset. We loved it.

As a child I have a host of happy memories and they are centered mostly around being in Church. :yep: Jesus was always in my life in so many ways, leading me here as to other places. Wow... :cloud9:

Coily... this thread is bringing up alot of memories for me. Happy ones. I'm remembering many things from growing up that I haven't thought about for a long, long time.

Thanks again for this. :love2:

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
We have nurses at catholic mass as well. I think they try and make sure to sign up people available at each mass. We've also got the medical fibulator just in case somebody has a heart attack.

The last time I know of someone needing medical attention was during the school mass. A kid just fell down like dead on those hard benches due to the heat. Nurses jumped up and attended. But it's not a cultural thing at all and nobody's shouting...just making sure to have safety in mind.

I noticed at another parish that they have trained staff to use the fibulators and have it posted that the machine is at their parish sanctuary, probably in the rectory.

auparavant ...

This is God's wisdom flowing. :yep: :up: :yep:

I'm glad you shared this. There are many 'gifts' in the Body of Christ and many of them are doctors and nurses.

:goodpost: Excellent Post, 'Aupar...' :love2:

CoilyFields

Thank you ladies for your contributions!

There are so many ties that bind us as one.

I know there are some more traditions and memories so keep them coming! !!

Shimmie

Staff member
Ladies.... :love3:

Have you noticed something miraculous?

Back then, there was no technology, even further back, no phones, tv or radio, most definitely no Inna 'net... the travel advantages were much slower and took days, even weeks, months of travel for many.

However, the 'same' traditions flowed and overflowed from one Church to another, from city to city, state to state and even out of this country and into others. The same sharing and the same patterns flowed and stayed within our culture.

Yet now, with all of our technology, we are only 'LEARNING' about the history of 'our' Church traditions, as "compared" to 'how they were passing it on. Our Ancestors gave birth to it and 'lived' it, they kept it alive, pushing through adversities and struggles which we will never know.

They kept Jesus alive for us, He was birthed into our hearts through them and their fight to give each of us something better. The freedom to wear the hats, the uniforms, to join the committees free and out front, not hidden underground and in dark corners of barns and stables.

These........Our Ancestors, who knew more about us, then we know about them. For they carried 'us', their 'future' in their hearts and saved us from the struggles which they prevailed over... just for us.

Whoever they are... we thank God for each of them for giving us such a rich and honourable legacy and the rights to live it.

Glory to God forever... Amen and Amen. Thank you, Jesus for not letting them down; through each of us, their dreams live. :rosebud:

Rainbow Dash

Ladies.... :love3:

Have you noticed something miraculous?

Back then, there was no technology, even further back, no phones, tv or radio, most definitely no Inna 'net... the travel advantages were much slower and took days, even weeks, months of travel for many.

However, the 'same' traditions flowed and overflowed from one Church to another, from city to city, state to state and even out of this country and into others. The same sharing and the same patterns flowed and stayed within our culture.

Yet now, with all of our technology, we are only 'LEARNING' about the history of 'our' Church traditions, as "compared" to 'how they were passing it on. Our Ancestors gave birth to it and 'lived' it, they kept it alive, pushing through adversities and struggles which we will never know.

They kept Jesus alive for us, He was birthed into our hearts through them and their fight to give each of us something better. The freedom to wear the hats, the uniforms, to join the committees free and out front, not hidden underground and in dark corners of barns and stables.

These........Our Ancestors, who knew more about us, then we know about them. For they carried 'us', their 'future' in their hearts and saved us from the struggles which they prevailed over... just for us.

Whoever they are... we thank God for each of them for giving us such a rich and honourable legacy and the rights to live it.

Glory to God forever... Amen and Amen. Thank you, Jesus for not letting them down; through each of us, their dreams live. :rosebud:

:yep:...I see it Shimmie. God has used this thread to birth a new appreciation for the travailing prayers of our ancestors. They held on Jesus, recognizing that He is the Only Way and passed it on. God does not waste anything. Their faith, prayers, and tears have not been wasted. :yep:

Pooks

Attachments

• fascinator1.jpg
    fascinator1.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 8
  • fascinator2.jpg
    fascinator2.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 7
  • fascinator3.jpg
    fascinator3.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Pooks

The types of headcoverings I wear most often (the red one would be on a day when I feel like dressing up, I consider it more formal): -

Attachments

• headwrap1.jpg
    headwrap1.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 46
  • headwrap2.jpg
    headwrap2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 13
  • mantilla.jpg
    mantilla.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 13

Shimmie

Staff member
This is a lovely thread OP. :)

I cover my head for church - very rarely a 'real church lady hat' though, lol. More often a headwrap or mantella (sp?)

Shimmie:

Fascinators:

Pooks, I love this thread too. :yep: Thanks for the pictures. :Rose:

Oh wow! These are pretty. I should know better for several reasons:

1. I watch 'old' movies (Film Noirs) and these were the fashions of the 40's and 50's. No woman was caught without her hat when she went out for a dinner or luncheon (especially 'I love Lucy' on her show :lol: )

2. This also part of a lot of costuming that I encounter.

I just didn't 'catch it' by the term 'Fascinators'.

As an FYI, I not only don't wear hats to Church, but also during the Winter I seldom wear a hat and it's gets pretty cold here ... :nervous2: I wear ear muffs and a heavy scarf around my neck.

Oddly enough, I will wear a 'Sun Hat' in the hottest of Summer weather when I'm out during the day, especially when I home in Florida . :yep: :lol: :drunk:

Otherwise, I don't know what it is about me and hats. If I wear a hat, for fashion it's very rare.

The head coverings that you showed are very nice. I can't get these to stay on my head, though. They always slide off, even with hair pins, especially the one with the pretty 'knotted twist' in the back. The weight of the 'twist' just pulls the cover right off of my head. It's a little frustrating for me. :yep:

I admire women who do wear them, though :yep: I think they are very pretty.

Last edited:

felic1

Oh mand of god is very aggravating. Anyone saying this special emphasis on the D really believes that it is spelled this way. It is some type of cultural church habit.

felic1

My grandmother in law was a Baptist. When I went to her church she gave me a quarter for my offering!! Once a baby was crying and wailing in church, Mama Sallie hissed at that baby across the church. The baby turned its head and looked... Her expression was so rough the baby was scared to keep crying. I miss her a lot. She went home to be with the Lord, 12/26/2003