Starting My Hair right...

Courtney

Hey Gals,
As you can see, I'm a new member to this bored and just from a couple of days of lurking around the discussion, I've felt so inspired to try to make the most of my hair. Around this time last year, my hair was badly damaged and at my collar bone. Upset with myself after looking through numerous photo albums with my hair down to my back when I was younger (I'm 15 now), I felt it was time I stopped making excuses about why my hair was now the way it was ( I dismissed it as bad perming experience, knowing I had to give up my love affair with the curling irons) and try to get it back into shape. During the remaining several months of my freshman year, I took tremendous effort and grew my hair about four to five inches. I was so excited that people were noticing and that the short-haired girls were considering me as one of the "long, pretty hair-ed" girls over the summer. Forgetting that I was only half way there to my goal (I would really like my hair to grow anywhere between bra-srap length to waist-length) I slipped, and from July to now I have been doing WAY too much to my hair, from curling to washing 4 or five times a week to brushing it 20 times a day, I can see my ends beginning thin, and my length beginning to fade upwards, I haven't had a trim since June of last year, and I realize I'm causing serious damage to my hair. I know I can grow it back (I was astonished by what I was able to achieve last year) but I need to find a healthy routine that's something I'm going to be able to stick with. I set an appointment at my local stylist to have about an inch trimmed off my hair (too much, too little?) and I'm debating whether I should undergo my usual blow-out and flat iron. I hear so much about these "roller wraps" and they sound pretty and healthy so this is something I want to check into. I look at all the wonderful picture of you guys (you all are so lovely and ur hair is gorgeous!!!!) and I know I'm in the right place to get the kind of help and inspiration I need. With perseverance and encouragement, I'm hoping to reach my goal by graduation (that's a little less than 3 years if I start now). If anyone wouldn't mind (because I'm sure you've all been here before...everyone had to start somewhere, right?) could they share any products I need to buy, books to read, routines to follow or overall anything I should know to make this a successful journey? Thank you so much already, reading through ur experiences and looking through you photos has already given me some encouragement to say: "Wow, black women really can achieve this with the right attitude /images/graemlins/laugh.gif"

Thankx so much already...........................Courtney

pebbles

Hi Courtney!

Welcome to the board! You will be able to grow your hair back to the way it was when you were younger. It's all a matter of finding out the routine and products that work for you. Read through the posts and gather what you like and start trying them out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Nice to have you here. I wish I had started my hair care when I was 15. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Good Luck!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peachtree

Courtney, I totally agree with Pebbles...I too am still relatively new to the board and I try to read as many posts as possible. I like to call it "Doin' your home work"!

Other members, along with myself, can probably offer more assistance to you if you could first tell us about your current regime. If you don't have a consistent one, then at least tell us how often you wash/condition, how you dry, what you currently use on your hair (products, comb styles, etc), the frequency of usage, how you protect your hair, etc. By disclosing this information, members will be able to help you identify the "problem" areas, thus helping you to build a "healthier" regime. If nothing else, this could be a start.
>>> By the way, welcome aboard. <<<<

God Bless,
Peachtree