Is my stylist right?

caligurl

First off, hi! I'm a former lurker.

I went to get my hair done today and as my stylist was curling my hair she huffed and said that my hair wouldn't curl because my ends were dead. This makes no sense to me because hair isn't living anyway. Also I curled my hair last week with my curling iron and it curled fine. She then asked if I wanted to get my hair trimmed and I said no because I just trimmed my hair myself 2 weeks ago. Should I just have let my stylist trim my hair? Does my ends not curling mean that it is damaged?

Tee

they can be so funny some times. (stylist)

You might just have build up on your hair. My stylist had that is problem with my hair and she told me to try Kera Care 1st lather. I haven't had the problem since. If I know I have used of creams and stuff on my hair I will tell her to use the 1st later. Never had that problem again.

I am Not sure if that is your problem, but I dont think it has anything do with your ends. They will curl regardless. MIght not look as good but they will curl.

lexi84

Yes and no. Okay just because ends dont curl does not mean that they need to be trimmed. Maybe her curling iron SUCKED! :lachen: Or maybe you have build up. There could be several reasons. But I do notice that when my ends are freshly trimmed they curl all by themselves without the aid of any heat. You're right, hair is dead. What she should have said which would have made more sense is, "Your ends are damaged." Now if you just trimmed your ends two weeks ago and she's already talking about giving you a trim then either she's crazy or maybe you just didnt take enough off. See thats why i dont go to stylist because they confuse you when they start talkin all that jive mess :ohwell:

Mizani_Mrs

I am unsure of how your ends look but sometimes stylists don't use the correct adjective when describing your hair. they said 'dead' for everything. :confused: It could very well be build up, if you are lucky. or it could be that your ends are fryed and this will leave your hair limp and hard to hold a curl. Analyze your hair yourself and YOU decide if your ends are fryed and how much you want cut off. don't let a stylist do it or you will get off more than what you want...

balisi

Mizani_Mrs said:
I am unsure of how your ends look but sometimes stylists don't use the correct adjective when describing your hair. they said 'dead' for everything. :confused: It could very well be build up, if you are lucky. or it could be that your ends are fryed and this will leave your hair limp and hard to hold a curl. Analyze your hair yourself and YOU decide if your ends are fryed and how much you want cut off. don't let a stylist do it or you will get off more than what you want...
I definitely agree with the bolded. They usually mean damaged. I'm sure if your ends did not curl very well it is due to product buildup. If you ever let anyone cut or trim your hair, SHOW them how much you want taken off. Don't leave it to chance by telling them.

tenderheaded

I'm so glad you didn't let her cut your hair! When I got my virgin relaxer last year, the stylist got mad because I wouldn't let her cut off my "dry" ends. When I did my next wash I discovered they weren't dry they were underprocessed:eek: Clarify and moisturize if possible twice a day. It worked for me:D

so1913

balisi said:
I definitely agree with the bolded. They usually mean damaged. I'm sure if your ends did not curl very well it is due to product buildup. If you ever let anyone cut or trim your hair, SHOW them how much you want taken off. Don't leave it to chance by telling them.

I agree with this advice. Damaged ends do not hold curls well. Bad termonology was definitely used here....can't stand it!!!!