Steam Flat/Curling Irons

vtoodler

Do steam flat irons and curling irons work better than conventional ones?

Are they healthier for the hair?

Last edited:

PPGbubbles

I have Sedu and love it BUT I used a Maxi glide and fell in love! I have never seen my hair submit and lay so straight at such a low temp.

Sadly it was stolen on a weekend getaway but I want to get my hands on another in the future.

manter26

I think they get the hair straighter. I wouldn't say they are healthier. Although I love my Maxiglide, it was a Conair steam flat iron that helped me go from healthy MBL relaxed hair to broken HAM hair when I was younger. Back then I didn't know anything about hair, but I think the iron had a lot to do with my hair breaking.

Everything in moderation.

vtoodler

The reason I suspect that steam flat irons are better is that I used a Conair steam flat iron in tenth grade.

During that year, my hair was so lush, thick and healthy. I always wonder if the flat iron had something to do with it, or if there were other things that caused it.

Sadly, the flat iron broke, and I bought a new one in the eleventh grade that didn't use steam.

Last edited:

hannan

I think they get the hair straighter. I wouldn't say they are healthier. Although I love my Maxiglide, it was a Conair steam flat iron that helped me go from healthy MBL relaxed hair to broken HAM hair when I was younger. Back then I didn't know anything about hair, but I think the iron had a lot to do with my hair breaking.

Everything in moderation.

Hey manter26! Was it the flat iron itself that was breaking your hair or were you using it too often? The bolded had me confused a little.

Triniwegian

IMO, No!

I have a Maxiglide. It does get my hair straight but not bone straight like my CHI does.
I can't bump or curl my edges with the MG because it has ridges which does not allow for that.
I love the steam feature but the CHI is my favorite iron.

manter26

Hey manter26! Was it the flat iron itself that was breaking your hair or were you using it too often? The bolded had me confused a little.

I was basically saying that just because it's steam, it doesn't mean it's not damaging (like all other heat appliances). I don't know exactly what broke all my hair off because frankly, I didn't pay too much attention to it. I sure flat ironing (heat usage) contributed to the state of my hair.

So...
Heat=damage regardless of type, so you have use it smartly. I wouldn't say steam is any more or less damaging than other heat sources, just that it does a better job straightening, usually in one pass.