Steam Flat Irons

vtoodler

Do you like steam flat irons better than non-steam flat irons?

Do you think that they do a better job?

Hey Gurl!!!

Yes, I like the steam irons better than the regular ones. However, my hair is normally "dry", and I currently have SisterLocks (with permed ends). I feel the steam benefits my hair because it seems to help infuse whatever conditioning agent or product that I put onto my hair "into" the strands. Especially the scented EO's.

ETA: This works on all my textures of hair; and softens them

Last edited:
Um after using my Maxiglide for over the past year, I realized that steam feature may have been damaging my hair. You're supposed to use the steam only on the last couple inches of your hair and thats what I would do. Well I've seen significant breakage and thinning at my ends and I think that is the culprit. The steam is the main reason I got the thing but since I've come to that conclusion I probably will not be using my maxiglide again. I rather get a regular flat iron.

I like the Maxiglide a lot... My hair always looks full, bouncy & moisturized afterwards. When I used to use the Chi, my hair was flatter & didn't have as much "life" (if that makes sense lol).

However when I use the Maxiglide, I only use low heat (about 280... with the steam, you don't need high heat). I also only flat iron my hair twice a year... So, I'm not sure what the effects are if you use it constantly.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

I only can speak from limited experience. I cannot straiten my natural hair with a regular flat iron. I had a curling iron that used steam and it got my hair strait. However, I gave it away to my mother.:nono: I recently tried the maxiglide on setting 2 and it got my hair strait. I will be using it when my hair gets long enough to bun. The steam function on the iron I have is broken, so I will buy a new one.

Um after using my Maxiglide for over the past year, I realized that steam feature may have been damaging my hair. You're supposed to use the steam only on the last couple inches of your hair and thats what I would do. Well I've seen significant breakage and thinning at my ends and I think that is the culprit. The steam is the main reason I got the thing but since I've come to that conclusion I probably will not be using my maxiglide again. I rather get a regular flat iron.

mEmYSELFaNDj

What? I thought that the steam was supposed to be good for the hair?

Bumping for more responses! I'm looking into steam flat irons. I want to get my hair as straight as possible without the damage. :bump:

Back