Damage of Flat Iron vs. Curling Iron & Blow dryer?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've been thinkin...

I've seen many post about how many of you have stopped using curling irons and blow dryers because of heat damage then the next thing you know, you use flat irons!

How come no one mentions how damaging a flat iron is?

How come no one hasn't tossed the flat iron like they have the curling irons and blowdryers???

Even if you protect your hair with a serum/moisturizer/etc. before using a flat iron, can't you do the same with the curling irons and blowdryers???

alliyah4eva203

when i say i've stopped using heat. i mean evrything flat iron, blowdryer etc. nevr used a curling iron before. i agree that flat iron are just as damaging. but lots of people have said that ceramic irons are better for the hair. in my book it still counts as heat.

Honi

There is no board.
I think it's more or less the frequency of using these appliances. The less direct heat the better of course but once in a while is ok.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
alliyah4eva203 said:
when i say i've stopped using heat. i mean evrything flat iron, blowdryer etc. i agree that flat iron are just as damaging. but lots of people have said that ceramic irons are better for the hair. in my book it still counts as heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
I've never used the flat iron on my hair, but my daughter has been using it recently, and there are always so many short broken hairs on the bathroom floor...
(Yes, I brought it to her attention and she has stopped using it...
)

alliyah4eva203

[ QUOTE ]
ThickHair said:
All heating appliances are bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
ITA if not used properly and used too often. more than once a week

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I agree that direct can be damaging. I asked a hair stylist why does it seem like flat irons don't do as much damage. She insists that you glide a flat iron over your hair and it doesn't have to be kept on the hair as long as a curling iron to get the desired effect.

I have a ceramic curling iron and ceramic flat iron. I have used the curling iron twice since i bought it almost a year ago. I use my flat iron once every couple months to straighten new growth if I am closer to touch up time and always on the lowest setting.

Isis

You have a sharp mind Poohbear!

I have no heating appliances since I threw away my blowdryer, hot comb and curling iron last summer. Not even a hood dryer. I have contemplated getting a good flat iron, like a Chi, so I can see my length from time to time.

Falon

I use the curling iron twice a week after I wash and I'm not having a problem. I read in UBH Growth 2000 and Andre Talks Hair that the key is to only use it on Clean hair and to not use it more than twice a week (UBH Growth 2000). And lastly that you can't mix forms of heat meaning you can't use a blow dryer and a curling iron etc.

I took that to mean you can only use it on wash day and that meant no cheating and touching it up on non-wash days. I think heat is heat. If the curling iron is hot enough you don't have to hold it on the hair for more than two or three seconds...that is what I do. I count 1----2---3 and that is it.

How do you guys with relaxed hair who use NO HEAT whatsoever style your hair? I air dry but after that I have to use the curling iron or my hair would have no style. I've been wondering how to do my hair w/o any heat but I'm not into wearing a braid out or bun every day and I don't like phony ponies or protective styles what other alterntive is there?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
How do you guys with relaxed hair who use NO HEAT whatsoever style your hair? I air dry but after that I have to use the curling iron or my hair would have no style. I've been wondering how to do my hair w/o any heat but I'm not into wearing a braid out or bun every day and I don't like phony ponies or protective styles what other alterntive is there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to ask the same question "How do you guys with relaxed hair who use NO HEAT whatsoever style your hair?" I use magnetic rollers now.

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

I've used a blowdryer and flatiron or curling iron on a weekly basis for quite some time now...we talking 6+ years with no real problems. I use the right products to protect it from the heat and it turns out great. I don't argue that not everybody can do this, it depends on your hair and the kind of condition it's in. But I'm not a candidate for airdrying or wrapping...my hair is waaay too thick, it turns out like straw and takes over 2 days to dry. I know of someone with double processed hair who uses a curling iron on her mane everyday and has beautiful, healthy hair, so I know it's possible.

nolechik

FSU Alumni/Grad Student
I cannot leave w/o heat on my hair and I think my hair's so used to it, it doesn't mind. I usually either airdry or roller wrap as my "setting style" and I use the curling iron at least 2wice a wk to bump some curls in.

inthepink

I believe that they are all damaging. I have all 3 appliances and I use them all very rarely. Though, I am more than likely to just use the flat iron and not use the curling and blow dryer while I'm transitioning b/c it seems easier.

UmSumayyah

[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:

How do you guys with relaxed hair who use NO HEAT whatsoever style your hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Braid outs, buns and variations thereof, twists, bantu knot-outs, cornrows. I'd love to learn how to rollerset... it just occurred to me that if I have enough energy to cornrow and twist then I have enough energy to rollerset or flatiron occasionally.

I do remember one member saying she airdried her rollersets and it came out well.

northernbelle

I simply believe that heat used in moderation and with care should not present a problem.

I was a wet roller setter until I revived the method used by the stylist who I patronized while living in Augusta, Georgia: partially dry hair under a hood dryer, and then follow with a blow dryer and comb attachment, followed by a flat iron or curling iron.

Note: She used the marcel iron. My hair was shoulder length and pretty healthy.

northernbelle

LiqueXX

Re: Damage of Flat Iron vs. Curling Iron & Blow dr

ITA that moderation is key. I also think that blowdrying and then curling your hair is damaging.

I will usually air-dry or wrap my hair and sit under a hooded dryer before using a curling iron, which is once or twice a month. Other times I leave the direct heat alone.

I definitely think that my hair has benefited from not using a blow dryer with the comb attachment. That combined with using a curling iron made my hair very dry, which lead to damage.