STRAND TESTING

e.lauren

How many of you regularly test your strands for health. Assessing the thickness, shine, etc.

How do you do it?

I have a REALLY bad habit of finding the longest strand possible and plucking it out of my head for inspection. Lol. I usually do a strand from different sections. Front, crown, nape.

Sometimes certain parts will give me weaker strands than the others and I like doing it when I have changed a part of my routine to see whether or not my hair TRULY likes whatever I am doing to it..

ETA: I will also break the strand to see how easy/ hard it is

Can't imagine I should be plucking hair out of my scalp though lol :lachen:

What are your strategies ladies.

Sapphire_chic

I actually do do this lol I don't pluck though I just inspect shed hair sometimes and pull hair in front of my eyes. I check for ssks, mid strand splits etc I also check to see how easily it breaks (the shed ones) not that easily :grin:

But be careful plucking your hair too much op you can do damage :)

LayneJ

I used to do strand tests all the time in the beginning of my journey; daily. :look: Also, I was only looking at shed hair. I was not about to pluck off anything actively growing! I could not afford that at neck length. :nono:

I still do it, but not nearly as often. I only do it every few months because my hair HATES protein, but I know it needs it. So I'll pull a few shed hairs apart to assess strength. That's my strategy. :laugh: I just grab the hair and (try to) yank it apart.

Oh, and the other day I looked at a shed hair to determine hair thickness: it was medium (because of course you wanted to know, right?) :laugh:

e.lauren

I don't pluck as often now hehe. I thought I had a problem for a while lol. <-- OT

No but, I do it when I think my hair is doing really well, suffering, or when I just changed something. I can generally tell when my hair is healthy without plucking.

Thanks ladies !

BUMPING FOR MORE

Vashti

I did this last month checking for porosity issues. Thankfully I don't have any issues with that. I plucked a couple of hairs from my head. I'll probably use shed hairs next time.