Hair strand thickness

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
How important is hair strand thickness in comparison to the overall texture? In the past, it was extremely important to me and twice I have walked out of salons because some stylist would assume that my hair was coarse (thick strands) instead of fine (thin strands) just by looking at the texture of my hair. /images/graemlins/swearing.gif Hopefully stylists today are trained to understand nappy does not always mean coarse.

I was wondering if maybe strand thickness plays a greater roll than texture in selecting most hair care products. What do you think?

Tracy

For me this is certainly true. I have a lot of hair, but each hair is extremely fine and as a result it breaks more readily than hair that has a heavier weight. It also looks terrible weighed down with too much product, and I choose my products accordinly as well. I tend to favor conditioners with "wieghtless" qualities to it...light serums...shampoos that cleanse extra well (because I find fine hair needs to be really clean to look it's best).

Queenie

I definately select products according to this. I tend to use a lot of any product that I use.

Kiadodie

[ QUOTE ]
For me this is certainly true. I have a lot of hair, but each hair is extremely fine and as a result it breaks more readily than hair that has a heavier weight. It also looks terrible weighed down with too much product, and I choose my products accordinly as well. I tend to favor conditioners with "wieghtless" qualities to it...light serums...shampoos that cleanse extra well (because I find fine hair needs to be really clean to look it's best).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have thick strands and also alot of hair. A pick products according to what's good for my hair. For example, a lot of regular conditioners don't do much for my hair. I have to use thick, lotion type ones or else, it doesn't moisturize my hair enough.

Faith

I know...I have fine strands. When I went to texturize my hair back in August my hair was natural (4a/b) and just because of that and how tight the curls were she wanted to use SUPER...SUPER???? I'm sorry but most heads don't NEED SUPER. SO, I said NO mild is fine. She said it won't take. I said it will. She asked if I had a sensitive scalp and I said yep so use the mild...lol
I select products based on how SOFT they will make my hair even though I find they weigh my hair down...

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Oh boy...

No questions, just curious is all. The first link was cool, but the second...um, they need to rework it. That is what stylists go by and a big reason I am natural today. I am thinking maybe it would be easier to group products by strand thickness and overall sight texture. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

Now if a product does come out designed for people with very flat strands, I will be the first one at the door with a credit card. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Neen

Re: Oh boy...

I also have fine, kinky hair and had to drop a few stylists because they assumed my hair was coarse or resistant. They would relax my hair within an inch of it's life! /images/graemlins/angry2.gif I usually choose products based on coarse hair though because often those for fine hair usually mean "white" while those for coarse mean kinky. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Re: Oh boy...

Over the years I found myself gradually buying products in the white folks' aisle mainly because of the petroleum and propylene glycol in ethnic products. The only thing I could handle with mineral oil was Queen Helene Cholesterol and I am not sure my hair can tolerate it anymore.

I am slowly getting on the "natural hair needs more natural products" bus but I cannot see myself giving up my Pantene and Suave. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DelightfulFlame

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have thick strands and also alot of hair. A pick products according to what's good for my hair. For example, a lot of regular conditioners don't do much for my hair. I have to use thick, lotion type ones or else, it doesn't moisturize my hair enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA! My daughter has the fine strands, but lots of them. I have the thick stuff and lots of them. I tend to use different products on my hair than I do on hers.

webby

Think Slim
It took me years to realize that my strands were not thick. I have an exorbitant amount of hairs, but they are rather fine. One stylists pointed this out to me and it made all the difference in how I handle my hair and how I instruct others to handle it.

myco

I agree with everyone else. I have fine strands but a lot of them. Heavy or oily products will give me stringy hair. I don't like to put anything on my hair once it dries, I've even had a couple of oil sheen disasters in the past. My sister has very thick strands, so her hair can stand up to products a lot better than mine.