Stress update: 4 stitches, 10 shots in my scalp!

Blu217

I saw the derm today and want to share my big-time update to the stress-related hair loss I'm going through. I've never read anything here about the kind of treatment I received, and I think this will maybe help someone going through the same. I thought, going in, it was going to be the usual recommendation to avoid tight hairstyles and use some Nizoral.

Instead, I'm sitting here with FOUR STITCHES IN MY SCALP from a biopsy, AND I had at least ten additional injections of cortisone right in the dome! It's definitely not for the faint of heart. And yes, my head is on FIRE.

My derm, a black woman like me, was incredibly thorough; I really cannot believe it. She was caring, concerned and compassionate. She pulled through my hair, tugged at some hairs and told me her diagnosis.

This is the part I'm not really understanding: She said it looks like my follicles are withering--that means my hair has started DYING--and she said it looks like my scalp is SCARRED from possibly relaxing for so long, and from scratching my head. And here's where my problem lies with her suspicions.

I get my relaxers done ONLY by a professional at a salon. I don't typically get chemical burns, and on the very rare occasion I do they're usually tiny and along the hairline. Women relax their hair to the grave and it grows; I know I've everything right regarding my chemical treatments--including seeing only stylists I trust who take care with their application. Plus, I have never worn braids, tracks or weaves of any kind, wigs or fancy, tight hairstyles. I don't use curling irons, flat irons or pressing irons--I rollerset and heat dry, but for the last 6 months I've been airdrying. I wear my hair back in a loose scrunchie--there is no stress on my hair, or my head, that I know of. And there is CERTAINLY nothing I'm doing that could possibly be worse than all these women I see who have heads full of hair, who are manipulating it like crazy yet it thrives. I do scratch it when it itches, and I've been known to scratch vigorously now and then if it's driving me nuts--but who doesn't? So... how would my head be scarred?

She wanted to biopsy my scalp to be sure. Ladies, this is not cheap, and they don't file insurance, so I'm $454 lighter--but I couldn't have cared less; I want ANSWERS and cost is little object to the peace of mind that comes with knowing exactly what is causing my balding. She gave me a shot in the scalp to numb it, then came back and cut out a small section of skin to be sent for a full range of tests. They're looking for everything from psoriasis to fungus to scar tissue to stress-related shedding. I didn't feel much, but they sure were tugging and sawing up there! I got 4 stitches I can feel, but can't really see. In a week they take them out.

I asked about cortisone shots, which I hear are administered to help with thinning, and she elected to give me some. Over and over again with that frickin' needle in my head--and this time no anaesthesia, but I took it like a woman... in a cold sweat with curled toes!

I've only read about these treatments before; I am just so thrilled to have found someone who knew how to really examine my issue so thoroughly, someone who understood what I'm going through and someone who used a variety of effective procedures that will FINALLY just give me an answer.

She told me to really think about going natural. My hair is almost BSL now and while I kinda like the idea of exploring my natural texture, I think I'll look like a little gay dude with boobs till it grows out. I don't care about losing the length, because my hair grows fast, and well. The only thing that worries me is that my lost hair may never grow back, because despite practicing the most gentle haircare most women ever will, I might still have damaged my head somehow. I don't know what to say about relaxing right now. I suppose this could be a revelation for all us relaxed ladies to contend with.

But I have faith. I have faith that, no matter what the results say, I can get my hair back. I don't know why I believe that, but... I just feel it inside.

We will see. As soon as I have results, I'll post an update.

Last edited:

Tee

Please keep us updated. I like your attitude with this. You truly are...."Taking it like woman." (I loved that line in your post!)

I pray all goes well and you are not in to much pain. Hugs

caribeandiva

Human being
gurl, you got me sitting here holding my breath with my heart in my throat. a scarred scalp? i never heard that before. good luck, i'll keep you in my prayers.

WomanlyCharm

Aw sweetie, wow...that's a hell of a thing to go through. I was cringing right along with you while reading this post.

I'm glad your derm is doing everything she can to find answers to your problem, she sounds like she's right on top of things.

I have you in my thoughts, and like you, I have faith everything will be o.k. Thanks for the update, and keep us posted.

santia

Wow, thank you for posting this!!!! It sounds like you have a great derm who is willing to sorth this out with you, unlike some who just want to tell you what to do with no concern.

Please keep us updated :)

sareca

Sorry about chu hairs chica, but make sure you get a second opinion. Scarring from relaxers? :huh: I doubt it. A similar thing happened to my cousin and was just stress. She kicked some stuff (and people) out of her life and it got better. Not completely, but a lot better. I'm not saying that's your issue I'm saying your derm is getting PAID. In my old age I've gotten very skeptical.

Last edited:

SparklingFlame

WomanlyCharm said:
Aw sweetie, wow...that's a hell of a thing to go through. I was cringing right along with you while reading this post.

I'm glad your derm is doing everything she can to find answers to your problem, she sounds like she's right on top of things.

I have you in my thoughts, and like you, I have faith everything will be o.k. Thanks for the update, and keep us posted.
Exactly. This is one helluva thing to have happen, :kiss: especially since you baby your hair. I cant wait until you get some answers. Keep us posted!

Minx

Blu217,
After reading your post, I had to go ahead and register just so I could reply! I have been a lurker on this board since last year, and this is my first post! You just touched me.
Let me give you a little bit of background about me: I have never in my life been one to "fuss over" my hair. As a matter of fact, I usually kept it put away via braids and/or wigs. I have been relaxed since I was nine years old ( did a brief stint with the curl in the mid-late 80's!). I was never one for sitting in the salon on a weekly/bi-weekly basis, I prefered just to leave my hair alone! For a long time I would just wear drawstring ponytails. Other times I would do sew-in weaves, but I never really did much to my hair. If I felt like it, I would cut it low and rock a cute short cut! It was JUST HAIR to me. It always grew back......until now.
About two years ago, I started wearing clip in wigs, you know with the comb attatchment. I soon started noticing my hair getting thin in the top. Made an appointment to see the ONLY black female derm in my region. It took me a YEAR to get in to see her! Anyway, so in the meantime, I'm searching for info on how to regrow my hair, because by then I had a circular patch in the top of my head missing!( That's how I ended up here at LHCF) I got three relaxers in all of '05, one at home with Optimum, and two at the salon with Mizani. Each time that area spread out more and more. So in Nov of 05 I decided to forget the chemicals and transition.
Well, I saw the derm in Jan 06. By then my entire crown was smooth as a baby's bottom! And I went through EXACTLY what you just described! I was diagnosed with Scarring Alopecia, aka "Follicular Degeneration". Yes, hair follicles can be damaged and they can and do die. The scarring is beneath the scalp, you can not see it.
I ran up a huge bill, going back and forth to get those shots. But I did not see any improvements, only more redness and irrataton to my scalp. My locked and natural friends advised me to go to a holistic salon for advise. Those stylists recommended I stop the steroids and try alternative methods. Well, that's what I have done. No shots, essential oils, vitamins, antiseptic scalp rinses, and much prayer. I am slowly but surely filling back in on top!!! I haven't been back to the derm for shots since May and I will not be going back.
After a nine month transition, I was finally able to "big chop" on Thursday! I love it, love it, love it! I wish I would have done this years ago! My fro is ity-bity, but I look so fly! And I can't believe how good my hair/ and scalp feel!
So my advise to you is, please don't ignore what your scalp is telling you. Have faith, be gentle, let it rest, and go easy on it, and don't give up! Do your research on scalp disorders and then decide for yourself the best route for you to go.
Be blessed!

tenderheaded

As someone who was chemically balded in 2004 when my Dominican stylist permed my colored hair, I am a leary of relaxers being the cause of your problems. My hair is growing in better than before with good hair practices.

Doctors opinions vary. I'm glad she was thorough and I look forward to your update.

Ebonygurl00

I'm hurting for you! I hope everything gets better! Now I'm scared of getting a touch-up. This has opened my eyes to the dangers of relaxing, thanks, and good luck!

BrownSkin2

I'm so glad that you are finally getting answers. Your derm seems very thorough. I hope things work out well for you. More and more now, I'm happy that I decided to go natural.

God Bless!

Denim And Leather

Wow! I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I do have to agree with Sareca, I would try to get a second opinion, especially since you cared for your hair extremely well.

I too, will keep you in my prayers. Please keep us updated as well! Be blessed! :)

Cayenne0622

Thank you so much for taking the time to update and inform us of your situation. I'm sorry for what you are going through and I do agree with the one lady who suggested that you look into holistic approaches as well. I have found that some many illnesses, diseases and "conditions" can be cured just by changing what we put into and on our bodies. I don't see how a relaxer permanently damaged your follicles but I don't doubt that its not possible either. If I could look as fly as half the women on here with natural hair, I would go for it, but its just not a good look for me...fine/thin hair plus itty bitty afro...no thanks. I pray your condition improves and you are blessed with positive results and good health.

infojunkie

My heart was in my throat and I couldn't not reply. My heart and my love goes out to you and I agree with the other ladies, do get more than one opinion. Even though your derm seems top notch, I'm big about what I put on and into my body. Never discount the holistic approach.

Please keep us posted. I'll be subscribing to this thread and watching out for a reply from you.

Be blessed.

grnidmonster

I have had this procedure done but, before I go into that I need to preface my story by saying I have Lupus and in telling you about my biopsy and cortisone shots, I am in NO :nono: way suggesting that you may have Lupus, I am only saying I have been through what you are going through and YES it could be caused by stress.

When I get stressed, my Lupus flares which causes my scalp to become inflammed and break out with sores. These sores and inflammation cause my hair to fall out from the root, left side usually but, if I let it go too long all over. I simply go to my Derm-she is Black also. Thank goodness I found her, I went to multiple white Derms and they said they could not help me so for several years everytime my stress went up, my hair fell out. So some of the scarring is permanent so my hair is thin on the left and will never be as thick as it was.

Anyway-she took several scalp samples and had them analyzed. The injections are great because they work almost immediately-but, hurt like hell, expecially on a MAD scalp. They can only be given so often so but, one set of shots usually does the trick. She also gave me some ointment to apply to the angery area if I have a flare and catch it before the hair loss and sores get bad enough to require shots. A couple days (literally 2-3 days) of applying the ointment and it clears up and the hair stops falling out.

You will be ok:) . Hang in there:grin: . There is someone who has survivied and my hair grows back, it is almost bsl. It would be but, I called myself giving myself a haircut...that's different story for a seperate thread.......:eek:

Faith

Sorry about what you are going through. Is there anything extra you can do to alleviate the stress?

scratching my head
Before doing a relaxer or just scratching in general?

Faith

Blu217 said:
I saw the derm today and want to share my big-time update to the stress-related hair loss I'm going through. I've never read anything here about the kind of treatment I received, and I think this will maybe help someone going through the same. I thought, going in, it was going to be the usual recommendation to avoid tight hairstyles and use some Nizoral.

Instead, I'm sitting here with FOUR STITCHES IN MY SCALP from a biopsy, AND I had at least ten additional injections of cortisone right in the dome! It's definitely not for the faint of heart. And yes, my head is on FIRE.

My derm, a black woman like me, was incredibly thorough; I really cannot believe it. She was caring, concerned and compassionate. She pulled through my hair, tugged at some hairs and told me her diagnosis.

This is the part I'm not really understanding: She said it looks like my follicles are withering--that means my hair has started DYING--and she said it looks like my scalp is SCARRED from possibly relaxing for so long, and from scratching my head. And here's where my problem lies with her suspicions.

I get my relaxers done ONLY by a professional at a salon. I don't typically get chemical burns, and on the very rare occasion I do they're usually tiny and along the hairline. Women relax their hair to the grave and it grows; I know I've everything right regarding my chemical treatments--including seeing only stylists I trust who take care with their application. Plus, I have never worn braids, tracks or weaves of any kind, wigs or fancy, tight hairstyles. I don't use curling irons, flat irons or pressing irons--I rollerset and heat dry, but for the last 6 months I've been airdrying. I wear my hair back in a loose scrunchie--there is no stress on my hair, or my head, that I know of. And there is CERTAINLY nothing I'm doing that could possibly be worse than all these women I see who have heads full of hair, who are manipulating it like crazy yet it thrives. I do scratch it when it itches, and I've been known to scratch vigorously now and then if it's driving me nuts--but who doesn't? So... how would my head be scarred?

She wanted to biopsy my scalp to be sure. Ladies, this is not cheap, and they don't file insurance, so I'm $454 lighter--but I couldn't have cared less; I want ANSWERS and cost is little object to the peace of mind that comes with knowing exactly what is causing my balding. She gave me a shot in the scalp to numb it, then came back and cut out a small section of skin to be sent for a full range of tests. They're looking for everything from psoriasis to fungus to scar tissue to stress-related shedding. I didn't feel much, but they sure were tugging and sawing up there! I got 4 stitches I can feel, but can't really see. In a week they take them out.

I asked about cortisone shots, which I hear are administered to help with thinning, and she elected to give me some. Over and over again with that frickin' needle in my head--and this time no anaesthesia, but I took it like a woman... in a cold sweat with curled toes!

I've only read about these treatments before; I am just so thrilled to have found someone who knew how to really examine my issue so thoroughly, someone who understood what I'm going through and someone who used a variety of effective procedures that will FINALLY just give me an answer.

She told me to really think about going natural. My hair is almost BSL now and while I kinda like the idea of exploring my natural texture, I think I'll look like a little gay dude with boobs till it grows out. I don't care about losing the length, because my hair grows fast, and well. The only thing that worries me is that my lost hair may never grow back, because despite practicing the most gentle haircare most women ever will, I might still have damaged my head somehow. I don't know what to say about relaxing right now. I suppose this could be a revelation for all us relaxed ladies to contend with.

But I have faith. I have faith that, no matter what the results say, I can get my hair back. I don't know why I believe that, but... I just feel it inside.

We will see. As soon as I have results, I'll post an update.
What if you transitioned instead of BCing?

Blu217

dkbeauti said:
Blu217,
After reading your post, I had to go ahead and register just so I could reply! I have been a lurker on this board since last year, and this is my first post! You just touched me.
Let me give you a little bit of background about me: I have never in my life been one to "fuss over" my hair. As a matter of fact, I usually kept it put away via braids and/or wigs. I have been relaxed since I was nine years old ( did a brief stint with the curl in the mid-late 80's!). I was never one for sitting in the salon on a weekly/bi-weekly basis, I prefered just to leave my hair alone! For a long time I would just wear drawstring ponytails. Other times I would do sew-in weaves, but I never really did much to my hair. If I felt like it, I would cut it low and rock a cute short cut! It was JUST HAIR to me. It always grew back......until now.
About two years ago, I started wearing clip in wigs, you know with the comb attatchment. I soon started noticing my hair getting thin in the top. Made an appointment to see the ONLY black female derm in my region. It took me a YEAR to get in to see her! Anyway, so in the meantime, I'm searching for info on how to regrow my hair, because by then I had a circular patch in the top of my head missing!( That's how I ended up here at LHCF) I got three relaxers in all of '05, one at home with Optimum, and two at the salon with Mizani. Each time that area spread out more and more. So in Nov of 05 I decided to forget the chemicals and transition.
Well, I saw the derm in Jan 06. By then my entire crown was smooth as a baby's bottom! And I went through EXACTLY what you just described! I was diagnosed with Scarring Alopecia, aka "Follicular Degeneration". Yes, hair follicles can be damaged and they can and do die. The scarring is beneath the scalp, you can not see it.
I ran up a huge bill, going back and forth to get those shots. But I did not see any improvements, only more redness and irrataton to my scalp. My locked and natural friends advised me to go to a holistic salon for advise. Those stylists recommended I stop the steroids and try alternative methods. Well, that's what I have done. No shots, essential oils, vitamins, antiseptic scalp rinses, and much prayer. I am slowly but surely filling back in on top!!! I haven't been back to the derm for shots since May and I will not be going back.
After a nine month transition, I was finally able to "big chop" on Thursday! I love it, love it, love it! I wish I would have done this years ago! My fro is ity-bity, but I look so fly! And I can't believe how good my hair/ and scalp feel!
So my advise to you is, please don't ignore what your scalp is telling you. Have faith, be gentle, let it rest, and go easy on it, and don't give up! Do your research on scalp disorders and then decide for yourself the best route for you to go.
Be blessed!

Wow. Thank you so much for joining and posting; your story really does give me hope--even if it IS the scarring she suspects, it doesn't have to be the end of the follicular line. I believe more than ever now that the ultimate power to change this lies with ME. Thank you.

And thanks to everyone for your warm words of support; I got a little misty reading it. This is a tough time; the thinning has been bad, but hearing that it might be permanently damaged despite giving my hair the best care I knew how... that's been a scary thing. I was out of town this weekend visiting family and didn't stop thinking of it.

To answer a few questions:

I mean scratching my head in general, like when it gets that time-to-wash itch. I always do my best to avoid scratching my scalp at relaxer time.

I am doing everything I can to alleviate the stress. I just got an unexpected termination of my contract (the boss is giving me a good recommendation, even tho he was a nutjob), so in two weeks I'm out of work. That job caused a lot of my stress, so right now even tho I don't know where or when I'll see another paycheck (I might get unemployment benefits, at least) I feel relieved it's over. I'm trying to turn this into a good thing.

I think I am going to try transitioning. I admit I'm scared; I wasn't READY to commit to anything--yes, I would shave it off, but I was thinking 6 months before doing anything drastic. Transitioning would start NOW. I don't know a lot about it, so I gotta start reading up on how to keep my hair from breaking until I'm ready to cut it. I'm a little overwhelmed by that, but I think it's time to go natural; I got some great advice from natural family members this weekend. I have been thinking about this for a very long time--going natural--but it seemed foreign and drastic. But now, just this scare about scarring my scalp possibly without ever having known I was burned is enough to make me want to forego relaxing ever again. I just didn't know this could happen. And it makes me wonder how many of us who thin out as we age are really just losing hair because we are permanently damaging our heads with the chemicals. Someone prone to hereditary thinning should probably not even use relaxers... that's the conclusion I'm coming to from this experience--even if the doc is wrong.

I'd love to get a 2nd opinion--but there's no one else in town I know of who'd diagnose me throughly enough to give me one.

My head does still hurt--especially if I raise my eyebrows! The stitches are painful, but worth it. I do think I'll go holistic once I have my answer. My cousin, who was on steroids for a while, gained a ton of weight and warned me that constant rounds of these shots even to the head will eventually cause changes to the body. I don't want that.

I am REALLY, seriously incredibly encouraged by your support and those of you who shared your experiences with this. It sounds like everyone pretty much has had success getting hair back on their heads. I intend to be one of you!

Honi

There is no board.
I'm so glad I read this post. I have a friend at work that is suffering from similar symptoms. She had thinning at the crown but it was painful and inflammed in that area and bled when she combed it (I don't recall her complaining about it recently). I asked her what the doctors diagnosis was and she couldn't give me a straight answer and said it "might" be lupus related. To this day I don't think she's being treated for it. I told her to think seriously about going natural. Do you know that chile is still relaxing her hair?

When I see her again I'm going to ask her if it's still ongoing or if she's getting treated. At the moment I think she's just trying to live with it.

desperateval

Hi Blu,
Sorry to hear about what you are going through. I've been going through the same things for over 15 years. I've been to numerous dermatologist who call the condition by various names (scarring hair folliculitis, alopecia, and recently cicatrical alopecia). In a nutshell however, they state that the condition (hair thinning/inflammation) comes from AA hair practices (perms, braids, etc). As a teen I couldn't get the shots because my mothers insurance would not pay for it. As an adult, as the thinning progressed, I was given biopsies that stated I suffered scarring. I was treated with various topical/oral anti-inflammatory medications. I'm glad your catching this early and is getting the shots. Maybe my condition would be different now if I had that treatment years ago. I'm currently using Rogaine which has grown back some hair and I've elected to have a hair transplant to put good hair follicles in the damaged areas. there are options, just investigate. I hope you don't have any scarring and can grow your hair back with the shots.

Blu217

Tomorrow I go to get my stitches out. It's going to hurt, because the wound is still sore. I'm hoping I can at least finally wash my two-week-old hair; it smells now.

I'm still waiting on results from the biopsy; it would be great to get those when I go tomorrow.

I've been giving this relaxing thing some serious thought. Earlier I wrote that I don't think I want to relax anymore. Truth is, I don't. But then I started researching the transitioning/natural thing... I'm scurred. I don't think it's for me. Some of the ladies who went natural realized their natural texture was time-consuming and demanding, and returned to relaxing. How bad would it suck to cut off my long hair just to discover I reeeeally dislike trying to manage my kinks? It's nearing touch-up state now, and even tho I know I've got to wait before putting any sort of chemical on my head if that's what I decide since I had all the shots and now these stitches, it's a tough decision.

I was thinking of using milder relaxers, maybe giving Phyto another spin. I also don't want to damage my hair anymore than I may have already... it's enough to make me go back to my original plan and just shave my head bald. Lately I've been looking at white women and feeling envy that most of them don't have to put any chemicals on their hair just to comb and style it every day. Seems unfair. I don't want white-girl hair; I'm just in a situation that demands a real solution, and I'm having a devil of a time coming to a conclusion given what's going on with my hair.

Seems like there should be some sort of plant that grows in a rainforest somewhere that will straighten hair totally naturally--just squeeze the juice, apply, leave on for as long as you want and it will make you all silky but never damage your hair or your scalp. Wouldn't that rock? Sigh.

hairlover

WomanlyCharm said:

co-signing. things will get better for you.