Stretching questions...

ShiShiPooPoo

My last relaxer was March 31. So I have been stretching now going on ten weeks or so. Besides the overlapping, what is another benefit to stretching? I am off all summer so I can stretch at least until the end of July. I am currently wearing my hair in cornrows straight Cleo style from Set It Off and plan on wearing them for two weeks, then shampoo, deep condition and get it right back braided up again. What should I be adding during that time? A protein treatment? Honestly, I don't really deal with a lot of hair health issues but want to have the optimum environment for growth. Any suggestions?

*Michelle*

Just as important as not overlapping (IMHO) is the more time you wait the more options to strengthen your hair/new growth in preparation of relaxing and allowing your hair/scalp to have as long a break as you can give them.

I hope this makes sense...I am tired and trying to explain this.

BrooklynSouth

ShiShiPooPoo said:
My last relaxer was March 31. So I have been stretching now going on ten weeks or so. Besides the overlapping, what is another benefit to stretching? I am off all summer so I can stretch at least until the end of July. I am currently wearing my hair in cornrows straight Cleo style from Set It Off and plan on wearing them for two weeks, then shampoo, deep condition and get it right back braided up again. What should I be adding during that time? A protein treatment? Honestly, I don't really deal with a lot of hair health issues but want to have the optimum environment for growth. Any suggestions?

Stretching for nearly 10 weeks allowed me to remember my real hair texture and to see/feel the new growth. I did weekly APHOGEE 2 minute treatments, monthly APHOGEE 2 STEP; daily moisturizer experimentation. Once in a while con-shampoos to soften the NG. The most benefit I received was no relaxer chemicals for a longer time then I ever did and learning how to style even though I was craving straighter strands. Sounds as though you are doing the Crown & Glory method....checked that web site yet?

ShiShiPooPoo

BrooklynSouth said:
Stretching for nearly 10 weeks allowed me to remember my real hair texture and to see/feel the new growth. I did weekly APHOGEE 2 minute treatments, monthly APHOGEE 2 STEP; daily moisturizer experimentation. Once in a while con-shampoos to soften the NG. The most benefit I received was no relaxer chemicals for a longer time then I ever did and learning how to style even though I was craving straighter strands. Sounds as though you are doing the Crown & Glory method....checked that web site yet?

Ok...I guess I am! I only want to get 4 relaxers per year. I will wear my hair out for about 6-8 weeks and then braid it up the remaining time. This will help me stretch better since my hair gets unruly around 8 weeks. Silicon Mix does an AMAZING job at softening my NG to the point I can get it straight with just a little heat but I am trying to stay away from that too. I am a heat junkie. So the one key to stretching is getting that NG nice and strong for the impeding chemicals huh?

Missi

ShiShiPooPoo said:
Ok...I guess I am! I only want to get 4 relaxers per year. I will wear my hair out for about 6-8 weeks and then braid it up the remaining time. This will help me stretch better since my hair gets unruly around 8 weeks. Silicon Mix does an AMAZING job at softening my NG to the point I can get it straight with just a little heat but I am trying to stay away from that too. I am a heat junkie. So the one key to stretching is getting that NG nice and strong for the impeding chemicals huh?

Basically: stretching helps me retain and get back my fullness and thickness I lost from relaxing every 6 weeks: you can see in my siggy (the 1st pic) that my ends are very see-thru: stretching doesn't cause that wats so ever: i too want to get 4 relaxers per year: And because I'm on a no direct heat challenge: i discovered and tried "rollersetting" which has improved the health/look/feel of my hair. No flatiron can get my hair as soft and shiny as rollersetting. HTH

BrooklynSouth

ShiShiPooPoo said:

You, are doing it right, keep up the health routine. Avoid the heat as much as possible! Yup, right, less chemicals to scalp and bloodstream, strength in the long run.