Stripping Hair

Miss Montserrat

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this procedure. How safe is it? How is it done? Where can I have it done in NY? Does it revive the hair? When is the best time to have it done?

I currently use clarifying shampoos but as my hair grows it has less and less body. I'm hoping this procedure would give me the body that I had when I first relaxed my hair. I also wash my hair twice a week and I'm concerned that I'm over conditioning it because it doesn't hold a curl the way it used to.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

MSCHICHI

MissMontserrat,

The only time I have ever heard anyone use this term, they were referring to trying to "strip" the relaxer out of their hair using dishwashing detergent. This of course is impossible, but the belief is still prevalant.

Perhaps someone else has heard of this term in a clarifying sort of way, and could further help.

beana3

have you tried an ACV rinse AFTER your conditioners, as a final rinse? It is rec'd that for people with build-up and dry hair it should be done between the shamp and condit. But you sound like your having a lot of trouble removing build-up (i guess?) from your hair so maybe you can try the final rinse method. HTH

Lindy

The only time I have heard the term "stripping" hair is in conjunction with hair coloring. Sometimes, if your hair is really dark and you want a light brown or blond color without any red in it, they have to "strip" all the color out of your hair (with peroxide, I think), then deposit the color you want on it.

I think the stripping you're talking about is just using a good clarifying shampoo which would remove any residue from conditioners. Or maybe the ACV rinse that was mentioned above...

adrienne0914

i still have tons of body, but my hair doesn't hold curls the way it used to either, montserrat. i believe it's more from the weight of the hair than product buildup.

"stripping" hair i've never heard of. it sounds painful though!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif i would say that if a clarifying shampoo doesn't remove something, it's probably meant to be there. lol! maybe your hair has grown accustomed to what you're using, and you should just switch to another clarifying shampoo.

adrienne

Miss Montserrat

Thanks for the responses and recs. The reason why I posted the question is because someone mentioned that their hairdresser charges $30 to strip their hair. She did mention anything about a relaxer or chemical service. I may have misunderstood the purpose of stripping the hair. I know that Caucasions sometimes strip their hair before they apply a curly perm. I was under the impression that you could do this to remove build up. Who knows? I have tried ACV and it works well but I guess I was in search of the head of hair that I had when I first relaxed my hair years ago. No matter how much ACV or clarifying shampoo I use, I still have an oily head of hair three days after I wash it. It is incredibly bouncy on the first and second day. On the third day it looks like I've used grease or oil sheen and I never do.