Stuck at BSL?

I felt like I was stuck at BSL at one point. Bunning really helped me overcome that hurdle. I think I did it for three months and saw progress.

I think I have been stuck @ BSL before...but I wasnt taking care of my hair and didnt really care, but I am being proactive now and I am currently 1 inch below BSL and I plan to bun all summer because I swim everyday and this wil be perfect for me because the summer is when I have a major growth spurts..and wet bunning should amplify this (I hope) I usually do the phony pony but I honestly feel that brushing up my nape & edges for the phony pony played a major part in the Aug 09 set back I am currently recovering from...

Hey zzirvingj, I have browsed your fotki, read your posts, and FOTM profile over the past few years that you've been a member of LHCF. I think you may be stuck at BSL because of heat usage. I know that your main regimen would be to wash once a week and style it in a bun. You retain alot of length with bunning. I've noticed the same thing with my hair...when I started straightening my natural hair with heat more often, my hair would stay the same length APL. I know others have success with continual heat usage, but that could be why you're staying the same length. Just a thought. Hope that helps.

Almost 2.5 years later I wonder how most of these ladies' hair is doing.... O

I think I'm closer to Midback length these days.... ;)

...but as Poohbear mentioned above^^ I could probably retain more if I bunned 95% of the time and cut out the heat. :yep: I straighten more than I used to back in 2007ish. She is right in that I really do retain alot of hair by bunning.

I was stuck at APL due to constant trimming and not protective styling -- to me, a WNG was a PS because my hair was up off my shoulders, not realizing all that detangling was detrimental to my retention. Once I started keeping my ends stretched (braids, twists, blowouts) and started hardcore PSing, as in picking a style that left me unable to access my hair for upwards of a month, I was able to get over that hump and now I am almost BSL. I will go back to doing this via senegalese twists and things of that nature until I am either full BSL or MBL.

I think I'm closer to Midback length these days.... ;)

...but as Poohbear mentioned above^^ I could probably retain more if I bunned 95% of the time and cut out the heat. :yep: I straighten more than I used to back in 2007ish. She is right in that I really do retain alot of hair by bunning.

PS'ing and growth aids helped me get past BS:yep:

I am currently stuck here too... :/ I dont know whats going on. It seems like my hair took no time at all to get to this length and now that Im here Im stuck and Im not seeing any progress :(

I started a DC, Rollerset, no direct heat reggie in Feb. Im going to see if it works. Ill let you guys know if I see any progress in the next few months.

but do you still see new growth?? i have never been stuck anywhere. i was also buning alot, 95%of time.

ok i just want to add that i started my journey in 07 at a tiny bit above SL. my hair grows half inch each month, im 5'1. so i got to WL in no time, i really think it was the bunning. i moisturized my ends heavyyyy then tucked in a bun.

it worked for me.(shrugs)

Last edited:
Seemingly stuck at just above BSL...
Throwing it in some cornrows for maybe a month, having it out for a week, then maybe back to braids for a month. Should be BSL by then. (MNing those sukkas everyday)

I was stuck at APL due to constant trimming and not protective styling -- to me, a WNG was a PS because my hair was up off my shoulders, not realizing all that detangling was detrimental to my retention. Once I started keeping my ends stretched (braids, twists, blowouts) and started hardcore PSing, as in picking a style that left me unable to access my hair for upwards of a month, I was able to get over that hump and now I am almost BSL. I will go back to doing this via senegalese twists and things of that nature until I am either full BSL or MBL.

This here is the truth and the reason why I will be bunning and cornrowing under wigs for some time to come...

Do you mind sharing which growth aids you used? TIA....

yes please..... :yep:

Seemingly stuck at just above BSL...
Throwing it in some cornrows for maybe a month, having it out for a week, then maybe back to braids for a month. Should be BSL by then. (MNing those sukkas everyday)

That made me chuckle Aviah ! :lachen:

i lost a lot of hair this fall/winter season, so i am going into protective bun mode.

AdoraAdora24 - what are you using on your ends? i might pm you, if you miss this post! lol

I'm stuck too. I don't know how much of it is because my hair sheds due to my lithium intake, but I'm bringing the pain. I HAVE to detangle daily because my hair will start to dread due to the loose hairs not getting removed. I have decided to add Carlson's Cod Liver Oil to my diet (also because it helps my mood), daily protein drinks, and to stop slacking on my vitamins and henna treatments. I'll see how it goes. I'm only 6 inches away from my goal length! I just want to be able to properly cover my breasts with my hair. :)

Back