Stuck.

Louisex3

Do you ever just feel like sometimes you're just stuck, like you hair actually isn't growing anymore?

I'm here! :(

My hair has come on leaps and bounds in the past year, but honestly it just feels like it's just been stuck at the same length for a few months now.

What do you ladies do when you feel like you're stuck in a hair rut?

Louisex3, I see you're at SL. That's a length that has a long life because it starts at the point where your hair leaves neck length and you will still be at SL when you hair reaches collarbone, because shoulders tend to slant so the top part near the neck is way higher than the end low end near your arms.

Another thing, hair seems to grow fast until SL because until SL, there's not much friction with anything so nothing really causing much wear and tear to your ends. By the time your hair reaches your shoulder, your ends are not only so much older than they were before, but now they've come into contact with perpendicular obstacle: your shoulders. Every time you move your head, it's like you're filing your ends with your clothes and shoulders.

Also if you don't dust regularly, it means splits which start at a scale you cannot see keep tearing up your ends leaving you with forks of thin partial hairs that are weak and that will break off.

Hair is organic and there's no way it can be on your hair and not wear with time. So if you aren't dusting or trimming regularly...or if you're waiting to trim late, then nature is helping you keep the broken ends away by just it breaking off as fast as it's growing. Once you get to SL, you must start protective styling if you want to see your retention improve. This is particularly important if you have fine strands. Dusting is also something you need to do regularly and not wait till it's too late to save your ends.

I was (am) stuck, but because of breakage not slow growth. This whole year I've made zero progress and can't figure out why. I had jagged broken ends. I've been stuck at NL since Jan. But about a month ago I braided my hair up and started wearing a wig. So hopefully I won't be stuck much longer.

Do you ever just feel like sometimes you're just stuck, like you hair actually isn't growing anymore?

My hair has come on leaps and bounds in the past year, but honestly it just feels like it's just been stuck at the same length for a few months now.

At the bolded - I bunned daily to get from SL to APL. That way, I didn't focus on length. I just took care of my hair and put back in a bun.

Focus on how healthy your hair has become. The length will come soon! :yep:

when it gets like that for me I start looking for what is breaking my hair off. your hair is growing but you are not seeing it because your ends are breaking for some reason and you need to find out what that reason is.

Nonie and sunnieb are right about protective styling to get to APL. I've been stuck at SL for longer than I expected and I'm sure the reason is because I refused to PS. I've recently begun PSing and I'm sure I'm going to make APL early next year because of it.

Completely agree with Nonie :yep:. My hair was APL, but I had to cut an inch because of breakage. I'm finally going to listen to Nonie and start dusting my ends regularly. Focus on the health of your hair and keep it in protective styles. I think you'll see a great improvement. Good luck!

To be honest keeping my hair up and protecting my ends has really helped me get past certain hair lengths.

I felt this way too. For months I was stuck at SL. But I have changed a lot in my regimen and lifestyle and I feel like I'm starting to get results.

This includes drinking more water, eating healthily, taking supplements. But also dusting every eight weeks, keeping my hair stretched and protected.

I feel your pain OP. I've just gotten past CBL and Im still nervous that Im going to end up trimming that off--it's very frustrating. I just started a consistent PS regimen with half wigs last month so I hope it gets me to APL soon.

Louisex3, I concur with all of the ladies about PS'ing literally 7 out of 7 days to go from CBL (or full SL) to APL...The only zone that I have been stuck at is the current length of MBL...It was a self-induced color issue and I got stuck at the same length for about 12 months, literally...I knew that my hair was growing because the color on the top of my head was more and more dark (signifying growth), but I wasn't retaining...

What I did realize is that my hair was getting much thicker and to me, that meant that the health of my hair was improving...In other words, OP--yeah, I've been there, and no matter how positive I was, I was still disappointed--BUT...I'm not stuck anymore- after much patience and consternation :confused:

I have no doubt that you will break-through your "stuck" point very soon!!!!

Please don't laugh at me but I know exactly how you feel. I've been on my hair journey which seems like forever. Ladies have started with lengths shorter than mine and reached WL in three yrs time. I've seen ladies BC while transitioning and still reach MBL to WL. I'm not a slow grower and never had any major (not even minor) setbacks. All I can say is be encouraged and know that you will get over that hump and reach your ultimate goal.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

Yes I was there and I decided to PS and hide my hair. I had yarn braids but now I'm wearing a wig. I might get another one or I might just start two strand chunky twists and pinning into an updo. The goal is to hide my hair Nd focus on other things. I hope yo be pleasently surprised by summer.

excuse my typos i hate it as much as you.

I felt that way this month, so I trimmed a few inches and i'm going to wear buns until the spring.

I was at "almost waist " for a very long time. I trimmed to just past BSL. I hope I will make it to full waist in a few months. I Bunned all last winter and got some great growth

Completely agree with Nonie :yep:. My hair was APL, but I had to cut an inch because of breakage. I'm finally going to listen to Nonie and start dusting my ends regularly. Focus on the health of your hair and keep it in protective styles. I think you'll see a great improvement. Good luck!

Same here. I had some nasty raggedy ends..trimmed those puppies and trying to get back o apl

If I could bun I would but I hate small buns. I might try nikanaturally's bun see if I can do that and make it decent. But I feel like you need at least APL hair or super dense hair SL hair to make decent buns. I have neither.

excuse my typos i hate it as much as you.

when i'm stuck, i hide my hair. it's just the only way. protective styling isn't fun, but it works....focus on hair care.

that way you don't always SEE that you are stuck. plan a date like 6 months or a year from now and focus on deep conditioning until then. then on that date, take pics. you may be very surprised at how "unstuck" you get.

havilland
that way you don't always SEE that you are stuck. plan a date like 6 months or a year from now and focus on deep conditioning until then. then on that date, take pics. you may be very surprised at how "unstuck" you get.

^^good idea! Thanks ladies, looks like dusting, being stricter with my DCs and PSing is the way forward!

Back