Studying your Bible

Spongie Bloom

Hi Ladies,

I am hoping you will be able to help me with this. I would like to know where do I begin with doing Bible studies on my own? I remember a pasor saying you do not start from front to back i.e from Genesis and work your way right through to Revelation. I do not have access to a church or similar place i can go to for studies or this sort of help :sad: Its been about 6 yrs since I did Bible study and I really do miss it and I find I have gotten out of touch with it. Anyway I have NIV Bible I wanted to get a different version but I cant afford one at the moment. What are you thoughts? how do you do bible study?

blazingthru

I would not mind buying you one that would not be a problem its important that you have a bible that is as accurate as possible and NIV is not one of them. If your uncomfortable you can borrow one from the Library until you can afford one. You can get an NKJV for like 7 or 8 dollars at most book stores. I am sending you a pm.

blazingthru

these are some of the questions we need to be searching for when we sit down and start to study the bible.

We need to know why we are here, what is our purpose, Who is God, How to love God, what is the purpose of Jesus and why did he have to die for our sins, how did sin come in to play. Who brought sin into existence, what happens to us when we sin, how to live a life without sin, what has God promised us. what happens when we die. what is the finaly outcome of sin and its existence, Jesus coming again. how to get prepared, save others.

I didn't know all this when I started so I was reading aimlessly and now I have more of a focus.
Learning the promises of God will help you understand a little more and begin to feel that you know God, it will give you a strong bond and you actually start to feel lost if you aren't spending enough time with God. It like a craving but it only happens when you start learning the promises of God and speaking to him. His promises are so encouraging and so unlifting. All doubts flee away.

JinaRicci

I would not mind buying you one that would not be a problem its important that you have a bible that is as accurate as possible and NIV is not one of them. If your uncomfortable you can borrow one from the Library until you can afford one. You can get an NKJV for like 7 or 8 dollars at most book stores. I am sending you a pm.

That is so sweet!

Spongie bloom- I don't think there is a particular way to study so long as you ask the Holy Spirit to guide you each time before you begin and use the entire Bible. I like to study specific subjects like women of the bible or specific books at a time. Sometimes I just ask God to guide me to what He wants me to read or what I need at the moment. I use a couple different translations including NKJV.

May God bless you as you begin again. :)

Studying the Bible is exciting and it's just a matter of choosing what you want to study. Some of your options include:

Character study: Choosing a person in the bible and learning about them (Jesus is always a great subject or studying all the women in the bible :yep:).

Event Study: Choosing a event in the bible, like the Great Exodus and learning about the events that caused, who was involved in it and how it happened.

Book Author: David and Solomon are my favorite authors because of Book of Psalms and Book of Proverbs.

Chronological Study: Reading the bible from the beginning to end. *The books in the bible are not in chronological order and you may want to Google or buy list that has the books and verses in the chronological (I uses a read the the bible in a year booklet but it took me 3 years to do it :nono:).

Topic Study: Study a topic/subject and learn about it (right now I am studying healings).

As you can tell I am hooked on the Bible, HTH.

La Colocha

Hi spongie biblegateway.com is a good online resouce for the bible. They should have reading plans to help you study. I hope this helps.