Styling transitioning hair

jjchantel

Hi guys! Sorry for the double post! The first was in the wrong section.
My hair has finally reached bsl/mbl. I'm currently transitioning and I really want to enjoy my hair and show off my length without heat. I do Bantu knot outs and pin curls but when I want to wear my hair down, but by the style being so curly, it makes my hair look really short. I've tried making the knots with less sections and more hair but it's still short. So is there anyway to stretch my new growth and style my hair to show off my length without heat? Blow drying on cool is ok though. Thanks in advance?

slp

You could try banding your hair before making bantu knots or pin curls. Moisturize, seal and add a little gel before you band the hair. Also, some ladies dry their hair first (usually air-dry), then place it in knots or curls. If you were to band it to dry, then make bantu knots or pin curls, your hair should show more length.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
You could also try roller setting if you don't mind a little indirect heat. I'm around 30 months into growing out my relaxer and roller setting has been the best way to keep the natural and relaxed texture happy while still showcasing some length. My hair is waist length and my roller sets usually fall around APL depending on how many bantu knots I put in after I'm finished roller setting. The more knots = tighter curls/shorter length so most of the time I only do 1.

knbradley

I love roller setting as well! Do you all use a leavein conditioner or setting lotion for your rollersets?

Last edited:

jjchantel

You could also try roller setting if you don't mind a little indirect heat. I'm around 30 months into growing out my relaxer and roller setting has been the best way to keep the natural and relaxed texture happy while still showcasing some length. My hair is waist length and my roller sets usually fall around APL depending on how many bantu knots I put in after I'm finished roller setting. The more knots = tighter curls/shorter length so most of the time I only do 1.
Thanks for your suggestion. Since your hair is waist length, how long does it usually take you to rollerset? I used to roller set, (regular and ponytail setting) but I stopped because I hated the tiny bits of broken hairs I got as I placed my hair in rollers. What do you do for breakage?

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
You could braid or cornrow your roots to help stretch your new growth.

Also, I like when my hair goes from APL to SL using twist out styles because it looks super big. But as my hair gets weighed down, it's more limpy and past my shoulders =\

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Braidouts stretch my hair... Have you tried a braidout? Fewer braids will give you big loose waves and smaller braids gives you more texture and shrinkage

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Thanks for your suggestion. Since your hair is waist length, how long does it usually take you to rollerset? I used to roller set, (regular and ponytail setting) but I stopped because I hated the tiny bits of broken hairs I got as I placed my hair in rollers. What do you do for breakage?

jjchantel I've never timed it, but if I had to take a wild guess...I'd say it takes about 30 minutes. I've been roller setting my own hair over 10 years so it comes pretty easy and I probably do it in less time than 30 mins...not 100 % sure.

Roller setting does not give me breakage and that's with using a small tooth comb. If I do get breakage it's minimal and usually from me rushing so I make sure to only do my hair when I have a few hours to spare. The key for me has been using It's a 10 leave in before rolling. It gives tons of slip.

jjchantel

Braidouts stretch my hair... Have you tried a braidout? Fewer braids will give you big loose waves and smaller braids gives you more texture and shrinkage
I have. But in horrible at braiding! My newgrowth would always end up poofy and my relaxed ends straggly. :(