swimming... what to do?

pretty_nappy_hair

Hello All,

I'm a a former lurker turned poster. I have a question for anyone who will answer.(Please & thank you)

Ill be taking swimming classes twice a week and I'm wondering what to do with my hair. I'm (7 or 8 months) transitioning from a perm and really am clueless as to what to do about my hair swimming twice a week. I just did my hair today in small/medium sized twists. How do you think they might stand to washing?

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Hi,

Though not an expert I would say you will need to wash your hair everytime you swim to get the harmful chlorine out. Before your dips you should saturate your hair with water then put conditioner on it.

UmSumayyah

And use a "swimmers" shampoo.

I think you should really consider just re-doing your hair twice a week after you swim. Chlorine is nothing to play with.

KiniKakes

I assume you'll be taking the lessons for a while, right?

Well after you take these twists out, I would next get a style that will be better sustained with frequent washes, for ex, braids or small cornrows. That way, after each swim, you can give you hair a good washing and conditioning, without worry about them coming out or getting loose/old too fast.

I swam a lot with my cornrows earlier this summer, and I washed after each time, and it was fine...... they continued to look fresh, and I was able to get all that chlorine out after each swim.