Switching from a mild relaxer to a regular strength relaxer?

Crystalicequeen123

Okay, so I've come to the decision to switch from a mild relaxer to a regular strength relaxer again. Too much breakage. :nono: We have so much info on switching from a regular to a mild, but not much info on vice versa.

My question is: Has anyone ever gone from a mild relaxer to a regular? NOw that I'll be switching to a chemical relaxer that is stronger than my previously mildly-relaxed hair, will I have to have my stylist apply the regular strength relaxer to my previously mildly-relaxed hair so that ALL of my hair can be straight again?? I don't want FURTHER breakage, but it seems like this will be the best way. Sort of like a "corrective relaxer", but it will be from my newgrowth on down since the rest of my hair is mildly relaxed.

What negative effects (if any) could result from this?

Crystalicequeen123

*bumping for a response*

I'd really like SOME advice since I'm getting my touch-up done tomorrow, and I'm going to tell my stylist that I would like to switch to a regular strength relaxer. I don't feel right doing anything this drastic to my hair without consulting my ladies on the LHCF first, so...if ANYONE has any input (any at all!), that would help out a lot.

Thanks! :)

*Frisky*

Maybe you should send Sistaslick a PM and ask her...Why do you think the mild relaxer is causing breakage?

Crystalicequeen123

marie170 said:
Maybe you should send Sistaslick a PM and ask her...Why do you think the mild relaxer is causing breakage?

The mild relaxer is in effect doing worse damage and breakage to my hair (I feel) because I can't deal with the texture. I still like to wear my hair in straight or wavy styles, but my hair isn't "straight" enough for them. Therefore, when I get rollersets at home or at the salon, my hair snags and breaks on the rat tail comb because when my hair is wet it reverts to being really curly since it was never relaxed "straight" to begin with. :(

So...in the long run, it has caused more heart ache I feel. The ends of my hair keep getting thinner and thinner (due to breakage), and I really don't think a mild relaxer is for me anymore. :nono: Before, when I FIRST started getting a mild relaxer, it was fine because most of my hair was already relaxed straight, but my newgrowth was relaxed with the mild, and so my hair was thicker than it was at the ends. HOWEVER, after 2 years with a mild relaxer, basically my WHOLE head is mildly relaxed, and so now I experience more breakage. :(

KiniKakes

I think switching from mild to regular will be fine.... but i would NOT have her apply the relaxer to the entire length of hair. You've said that your hair is already thinning/breaking due to the texture. It seems to me that applying the relaxer to the entire hair will only weaken it further. I find that as they are rinsing the relaxer out it gets to the ends a little bit anyway. And eventually, as you relax every 6-8 weeks or whatever, the regular relaxer will be distributed, with trims and things.

Anyway, thats just my opinion. The idea of applying the regular relaxer to the entire length just makes me paranoid. :ohwell: Thats just my one opinion though.... i'd wait to hear what others say. :)

Crystalicequeen123

KiniKakes said:
I think switching from mild to regular will be fine.... but i would NOT have her apply the relaxer to the entire length of hair. You've said that your hair is already thinning/breaking due to the texture. It seems to me that applying the relaxer to the entire hair will only weaken it further. I find that as they are rinsing the relaxer out it gets to the ends a little bit anyway. And eventually, as you relax every 6-8 weeks or whatever, the regular relaxer will be distributed, with trims and things.

Anyway, thats just my opinion. The idea of applying the regular relaxer to the entire length just makes me paranoid. :ohwell: Thats just my one opinion though.... i'd wait to hear what others say. :)

Thanks for your input Kinikakes. :yep:

I'm so confused on what to do. I'm getting mixed messages. One hair dresser said to relax the whole head, my instinct is saying..."eh..maybe not", and I haven't even heard what my stylist wants me to do.

I'll ask her tomorrow and see what she says. Relaxing the whole head makes sense in my mind in order to minimize breakage (from the different textures), and in order to make sure the whole head is straight. I'm wondering if putting the relaxer on all of my head LAST would be okay...

Mizani_Mrs

I think you need to do research on this website and other places and figure out what YOU want. And you need to figure out if this mild relaxer is the cause of your concern, or if it is something else. If you go to the stylist now, then she'll convince you to do it her way without you really knowing the best way to go. The only info i'd be interested in my stylist telling me is if she think my hair is strong enough and suitable for a regular relaxer. Unfortunately I dont know, but i guess i can give you my opinion. I would not recommend a relaxer to be ran thru your head EVER. If you are only switching from mild to regular, then these 2 textures aren't that big of a difference. During the rinsing process, the relaxer will run thru the hair and straighten your length straight enough so they will match. I can see if you was switching from a jherri curl to a relaxer then yes, youd need to run it thru. And you need to be firm about this decision or she will convince you otherwise. You will experience dryness and severe breakage if u run it thru the length. I used to do it all the time and wonder why my hair was breaking... :confused:

good luck!

Crystalicequeen123

Mizani_Mrs said:
I think you need to do research on this website and other places and figure out what YOU want. And you need to figure out if this mild relaxer is the cause of your concern, or if it is something else. If you go to the stylist now, then she'll convince you to do it her way without you really knowing the best way to go. The only info i'd be interested in my stylist telling me is if she think my hair is strong enough and suitable for a regular relaxer. Unfortunately I dont know, but i guess i can give you my opinion. I would not recommend a relaxer to be ran thru your head EVER. If you are only switching from mild to regular, then these 2 textures aren't that big of a difference. During the rinsing process, the relaxer will run thru the hair and straighten your length straight enough so they will match. I can see if you was switching from a jherri curl to a relaxer then yes, youd need to run it thru. And you need to be firm about this decision or she will convince you otherwise. You will experience dryness and severe breakage if u run it thru the length. I used to do it all the time and wonder why my hair was breaking... :confused:

good luck!

Thanks for your input Mizani. ;)

I agree...I don't think that a relaxer should be put through the whole length of my hair either. I just don't want to take any chances. :nono: Then again, I don't want my hair to end up breaking due to the 2 different textures on my head either. :( I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Actually, it was my stylist who recommended a mild relaxer for my hair 2 years ago. I didn't even really ask for it. She told me that she thought a mild would be more suitable for me since I had concerns about thinning. I had never tried it before, so I figured...hey...why not?? However, after 2 years of a mild relaxer I am THROUGH with them. I just don't think they work for me in the LONG run. At first they were fine, but now days I'm just sick and tired of a mild relaxer. I'm tired of the "not quite straight, not quite nappy" texture, and I'm tired of being "nervous" at salons when I'm getting my rollersets, wondering if the stylist is going to have a hard time getting a comb through my wet hair. I'm sick of the breakage. My hair is fine and fragile to begin with, so any tension or harsh combing will cause breakage.

I think that now that I know better with my hair care regimen, and I am hip to hair care techniques, I think I can try my hand at caring for relaxed hair that has been treated with a regular strength relaxer chemical. :) Maybe that is optimistic of me, but I choose to look on the "bright side" of things.