Anyone switching from Regular to Mild relaxer?

Nanyanika

I've been using regular strength relaxer since DEC 2006, I've noticed that even though i stretch relaxers sometimes 4-6 months my newgrowth is less resistant and relaxes in 10-12 minutes. Should and switch to mild, as i don't want to overprocess or thin out my hair? has anyone switched from regular to mild? what diffrences have you noticed in your hair since switching? your responses are appreciated as it will help me decide which strength to use at my touch-up in December.

lollyoo

hi,
I am making a switch becausel i will be switching to lye. I have sensitive scalp. Give it a try your hair looks fine so dont think you shouldnt have problem.

Nanyanika

thanks for responding, I think my strands are quite fine too, but not thin, good luck on your switch to lye.

Nanyanika

hi,
I am making a switch becausel i will be switching to lye. I have sensitive scalp. Give it a try your hair looks fine so dont think you shouldnt have problem.

thanks for responding, I think my strands are quite fine too, but not thin, good luck on your switch to lye.

KhandiB

I was thinking of switching from Super to Regular

My hair is quite different than it used to be

Nanyanika

I really cannot understand why my hair was so coarse and resistant berfore and now it relaxes so quickly,even the density of my hair has changed, maybe i'm getting old or something. I suppose one possible reason could be my medications. Khandi, would you say that your hair isn't as resistant like before, what do you feel has contributed to this? will you switch strength at your next relaxer?

I was thinking of switching from Super to Regular

My hair is quite different than it used to be

KhandiB

Yeah I have no idea what happened to my hair. But I do kow that my texture has changed somewhat and isnt as resistant as it used to be. My hair is also this medium brown color that it wasnt before!

Weird. Noticed it right after my son was born..

I really cannot understand why my hair was so coarse and resistant berfore and now it relaxes so quickly,even the density of my hair has changed, maybe i'm getting old or something. I suppose one possible reason could be my medications. Khandi, would you say that your hair isn't as resistant like before, what do you feel has contributed to this? will you switch strength at your next relaxer?

jasmin

I'm switching. For this last relaxer I wanted mild but they didn't have it so I went with the regular.

RubyWoo

This is a good topic and I'm interested in the responses as well.

I've been using regular relaxers for the longest but recently decided to make the switch to using mild relaxers. I plan to use a mild relaxer for the first time on my next touch up because like you den, I don't want my hair to thin out. I'm aiming for straight with some texture; I'm not trying to go bone straight.

Energee

My stylists always uses a mild relaxer on me and I will continue to use it. I think it's been great for my hair:yep:.

nycutiepie

I've used regular for a looooooong time (over 25 years) and I've just switched to Mizani Butter Blends Mild. It's only been 3 weeks but it seems good so far. Stylist always told me my hair was fine but the fools continued to use regular.......:confused: go figure. Anyway the new stylist I went to said mild was all I needed. I'm also transitioning to texlax and so far so good.

Nanyanika

Yeah I have no idea what happened to my hair. But I do kow that my texture has changed somewhat and isnt as resistant as it used to be. My hair is also this medium brown color that it wasnt before!

Weird. Noticed it right after my son was born..

thanks for responding... I wonder if its do with a change in hormone levels. my texture seems to grow in a lot less coarser than before,and i don't rally take vitamins. To be on the safe side I'll have to reduce the strength of my relaxer, i'm currently using silk elements.

Nanyanika

This is a good topic and I'm interested in the responses as well.

I've been using regular relaxers for the longest but recently decided to make the switch to using mild relaxers. I plan to use a mild relaxer for the first time on my next touch up because like you den, I don't want my hair to thin out. I'm aiming for straight with some texture; I'm not trying to go bone straight.

Hi Nixx, I'm worried about the effects in the long run, when using regular strength especially in lye as it tendsto increase shedding issues, i concerned about having thin waistlength hair. i'm currently bone straight which maskes my hair more susceptible to breakage, like you Nixx i want straight hair with some texture, in the long run, i know my hair will be thanking for me for this. currently, i don't have any hair problems since using my own products, i 'm hoping to keep my hair healthy and prevent future issues.

Nanyanika

My stylists always uses a mild relaxer on me and I will continue to use it. I think it's been great for my hair:yep:.

Hi Energee, are you fully relaxed/telxlaxed? could you tell me what you like about the mild? i have used Affirm mild lye in the past when i used to texturize but, my hair was ruined by underprocessing, i really don't want to end up with a frizzy fro and straight ends. thanks

Nanyanika

I've used regular for a looooooong time (over 25 years) and I've just switched to Mizani Butter Blends Mild. It's only been 3 weeks but it seems good so far. Stylist always told me my hair was fine but the fools continued to use regular.......:confused: go figure. Anyway the new stylist I went to said mild was all I needed. I'm also transitioning to texlax and so far so good.

did you notice any gradual thinning of the hair over the 25 years being relaxed with regular strength? since switching to Mizani Butter Blends Mild is you hair fuller? good luck on your texlaxed journey

e$h

Hi Den:wave:

Haven't talked to you in a while girlie. How ya been?
Anywho, my stylist used mild this last time I got a relaxer. Funny thing is that I never even knew a mild relaxer existed before I came to this board and I told my stylist that she was the first to ever even ask me which one I used, regular or mild? I was like :look: um, regular. She told me that I didn't need to use regular because of my hair being so fine and thin. Using regular all these years has thinned my hair out extremely bad. It's coming along now but had I'd known about mild relaxers years ago, I would have been using them and I don't think my hair would be as thin as it's been.
I forgot to mention that I like the mild relaxer much better however, I do feel my newgrowth waving up and it's only been about 3 to 4 weeks, if that.

Nanyanika

Hi Den:wave:

Haven't talked to you in a while girlie. How ya been?
Anywho, my stylist used mild this last time I got a relaxer. Funny thing is that I never even knew a mild relaxer existed before I came to this board and I told my stylist that she was the first to ever even ask me which one I used, regular or mild? I was like :look: um, regular. She told me that I didn't need to use regular because of my hair being so fine and thin. Using regular all these years has thinned my hair out extremely bad. It's coming along now but had I'd known about mild relaxers years ago, I would have been using them and I don't think my hair would be as thin as it's been.
I forgot to mention that I like the mild relaxer much better however, I do feel my newgrowth waving up and it's only been about 3 to 4 weeks, if that.

Hi E$h darling:wave:, its nice to hear from you again, definately been a while since i've spoken to you. I'm fine and i do hope everything is well with you too. i was stalking your fokti the other day, your avatar pic is so pretty.

Thank-you very much for responding, its really bad though that some stylists immediately slap on a regular or super on the hair without any proper knowledge. you know that's exactly what i'm worried about, so i feel if i switch to a mild formula now i should prevent thinning of hair, including the edges and nape area. i don't mind my hair waving up a little with themild because i rollerset every couple weeks anyway.

longhairluva

My next relaxer is Friday and I will be switching to mild. I was using regular before but my hair has thinned out terribly. I don't need a regular IMO. I already talked to my stylist(who didn't have mild) and she ordered it for me. I told her how I felt because my hair was hella thick as a child and now it's thin as sin. I'm not happy with it at all right now.

Energee

Hi Energee, are you fully relaxed/telxlaxed? could you tell me what you like about the mild? i have used Affirm mild lye in the past when i used to texturize but, my hair was ruined by underprocessing, i really don't want to end up with a frizzy fro and straight ends. thanks

Hi den,

Well, I'd been using a regular or super relaxer for years. Always burned me up terribly but my hair held up well over the years of ABUSE surprisingly. However, my hair would shed and would break at times...but I kept a very short but purposely and never really saw the damage because it was always being cut off (went to salon weekly).
I put a weave in for a year..went completely natural (I am 4a) with the weave. Used it to grow my hair out because I grew tired of the short cut. I didn't get a relaxer in the entire year..just had my hair taken down..washed and deep conditioned every 6 weeks and I had my previously relaxed ends gradually snipped off with each take down.

When I came out of the weave in June (this year) the stylist used Mizani Mild (Butter Blend) Relaxer. She told me the entire time that the mild is all my hair needed and that she didn't know why other stylist had used regular or super on my hair in the past. I had the same relaxer put in again at the end of September and it worked great again. My hair is slightly underprocessed because I don't like for my hair to be bone straight:nono: and my ng comes in quickly--no matter what type of relaxer I use honestly. I start seeing ng at 2 weeks post always.

My hair is thick and full so far. It's even thicker now than it was when I came out of the weave. I think mild is good for my hair but time will tell....I plan to stick with it for certain. HTH!

nycutiepie

Using regular all these years has thinned my hair out extremely bad. It's coming along now but had I'd known about mild relaxers years ago, I would have been using them and I don't think my hair would be as thin as it's been.

Den - this is exactly the same for me. My hair already feels healthier even though it's only been 3 weeks.

jasmin

hi jasmin, what made you decided to switch?

Well I had some breakage in a section and just got fed up and wanted to use mild. My mom also uses mild and thinks that's what I should use. Plus the last relaxer made me feel that my hair will be just fine using mild.

Nanyanika

Good luck with your relaxer on friday, do come back and tell us the results? I really hope that i'm making the right choice to switch to mild.

My next relaxer is Friday and I will be switching to mild. I was using regular before but my hair has thinned out terribly. I don't need a regular IMO. I already talked to my stylist(who didn't have mild) and she ordered it for me. I told her how I felt because my hair was hella thick as a child and now it's thin as sin. I'm not happy with it at all right now.

Nanyanika

Hi den,

Well, I'd been using a regular or super relaxer for years. Always burned me up terribly but my hair held up well over the years of ABUSE surprisingly. However, my hair would shed and would break at times...but I kept a very short but purposely and never really saw the damage because it was always being cut off (went to salon weekly).
I put a weave in for a year..went completely natural (I am 4a) with the weave. Used it to grow my hair out because I grew tired of the short cut. I didn't get a relaxer in the entire year..just had my hair taken down..washed and deep conditioned every 6 weeks and I had my previously relaxed ends gradually snipped off with each take down.

When I came out of the weave in June (this year) the stylist used Mizani Mild (Butter Blend) Relaxer. She told me the entire time that the mild is all my hair needed and that she didn't know why other stylist had used regular or super on my hair in the past. I had the same relaxer put in again at the end of September and it worked great again. My hair is slightly underprocessed because I don't like for my hair to be bone straight:nono: and my ng comes in quickly--no matter what type of relaxer I use honestly. I start seeing ng at 2 weeks post always.

My hair is thick and full so far. It's even thicker now than it was when I came out of the weave. I think mild is good for my hair but time will tell....I plan to stick with it for certain. HTH!

thanks for responding.....your hair is so pretty in youravatar, Have you got a fokti?

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I switched to Phyto Index I after doing some research for myself. I definitely have the same results as ever having my hair texturized, and I like the fact that the pH is a little lower, so my hair "normalizes" much easier after a retouch. I've also found that my hair feels stronger.

gymfreak336

Stylist usually use regular on me but when do it myself I use mild. I like mild better, plus it buys me a little time when smoothing.

Nanyanika

thank-you ladies for replying, you have given some very interesting responses, I can't wait to switch to mild formula in December and show my results.

BrooklynSouth

Hiya Den, great to see new photos of you and your hair. Switched a while ago to mild, still on the MILD SILK ELEMENTS {except for the 'Indian' like texture from the regular it's a good relaxer for me}. Lost that crazy texture thing once I switched to the mild with no burning at all even after 20 minutes. The stylist has more time to part and apply with the mild and I don't feel bald as she rinses, I still feel hair weight. My hair feels soft, looks healthy a few months after the switch to mild.