taking a break from relaxer

simsim1980

Sometimes I really just want to give up. I've been doing this for close to a year and I did not gain anything. Last Year summer I had 2 hair cuts, and in Jan. I had another one cause when it reaches a certain length it starts to break off.

I just notice that relaxing so often isnt for me (7-9 weeks). My hair would get nice and thick and when I relax, the next week I have a thinning in the middle top and bottom. I also notice that oils dont work for me the first few weeks after relaxing.

I thought I was going to reach shoulder length by summer, but I guess I'm wrong. I'll just relax every 3-4 mon. and not too much oil.

I just feel like i'm the set back queen or God is trying to tell me take it easy. I just dont know what to do, cutting wont help and I know crying wont get me no where /images/graemlins/nono.gif

coilygirl

SimSim...I'm sorry relaxers have given your hair so much trouble.

Your new schedule should work better.

Maybe consider going natural for awhile.

I had shoulder length hair when I relaxed, but now that I'm not relaxing, my natural hair has grown much longer than before.

or maybe try less heat and more roller sets on your relaxed hair.

What's your routine?
I hope that helps.
Take care.

sweetcocoa

Why don't you take a break for awhile. That's what I did intially...then I decided to try going natural. What made me want to do that was the thickness and health of my roots compared to my thin and breaking ends. I truly believe some folks hair(especially after it's been damaged) cannot take relaxers anymore.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
It's a good thing your hair's health is your first priority. A lot of ladies wouldn't take time off the relaxer for anything; even thinning hair is better than some "unruly, unkept hair" (in the words of Motions Incorporated).

And you may be pleasantly surprised how pretty and shiny your natural locks are, when allowed to grow. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

beana3

okay, I may be going against the grain here, but exactly WHY are you taking a break? B/c you haven't noticed any increased growth dont like getting relaxer touch ups every 7-9 weeks???? Are you experiencing thinning or anything? If not then i would say continue to relax!
I truly believe that my past few set-backs have been self induced. I debated over going natural or staying relaxed for months... I waited 3.5 months one time (3, months the other), and while the first 2.5 helped me get back on track health wise, the last month was marked by breakage. I just think that if you wait longer than you can tolerate you may end up doing more harm than good. I'm not saying relax the hell out of your hair, but If you KNOw you want the relaxed-look, then dont stress your hair out even more.
Waiting in b/w realxers did have some good benefits, there was a point where i Should've relaxed and i didn't and it caused breakage, If you DO take the break you have to closely monitor what your hair can take. Start off going 1 week past due for a relaxer then increase from there. HTH

Kitkat

Hang in there SimSim. I'm sorry about your hair problems. Everyone has setbacks every now and then and they can be really frustrating. Look into why your hair is breaking. What is your washing and conditioning regime, and do you use heat? Have you considered doing a good protein conditioner to strengthen it? Are you moisturizing regularly?

Many of us notice that our hair feels really flat for a few days after relaxing; could this be what you're experiencing? I'm not suggesting that you don't know your own hair, but I just wanted to throw another suggestion out there. I think it has something to do with the cuticle opening or closing or something like that, and it's not unusual. BrownRelaxedHair explained it really well in a recent thread.

If you feel taking a break from relaxing will benefit you, by all means do it. Only you know what's best for your hair. If you go this route, make sure that you keep your new growth well moisturized to minimize stress between the two textures. Maybe you could braid, cornrow, or use some other protective style while you're transitioning. Whatever you decide, we're here to support and help.

simsim1980

beana3,
My hair would grow and every time it starts to get strong and I relax, the middle top and bottom would start to fall. I switch relaxer: motions to Joyce Williams and I'm not sure if it's lye or no-lye, cause I figure all salons use only lye. I just hope that's true.

I also dont use heat in my hair only when i wash and use rollers. I'm going to try to for 12-18 weeks, so the middle can catch up. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ngaa

i hope that if u go longer in between relaxers that yo hair dont start breakin coz if the textures are too different this usually happens? what is yo hair-type?