Taking out a weave and perming the same day

classi123

I have my weave in and I want to take it out 2day and maybe perm it right after or on Saturday. Whats the best advice you can give me to ensure less damage. Because I cant walk with my hair out after 2 months of not perming.

Who also has done this? What steps did you take? Did you get good results? Would you do it again?

I have my weave in and I want to take it out 2day and maybe perm it right after or on Saturday. Whats the best advice you can give me to ensure less damage. Because I cant walk with my hair out after 2 months of not perming.

Who also has done this? What steps did you take? Did you get good results? Would you do it again?

I don't think this is a good idea and I personally wouldn't do it. I'd DC, do a light protein treatment and go buy a wig/fall if you need to look cute, otherwise just bun it.

Lemme tell you I am 3 months post and I had to go to a dressy affair last night. I didn't wear my weave either, but with my cowashed slicked down bun (a scarf on wet hair does wonders) and my makeup I still looked classy.

I am not to sure. I would say wash it and wait a week. You probably have alot of buildup in your hair and the relaxer probably wouldn't take well. BUt like I said I am not to sure.

To be honest with you I always do this. But I don't recommend it if you do not have strong hair. What I do when I take my weave down is the following:

Get my friend to put my relaxer in because my hair grows so fast. When i take my weave/braids out it is just too much new growth to conquer on my own.

Base my scalp, nape of my neck, and edges.

Put some olive oil on the part I am not going to put relaxer on

apply the relaxer as usual.

I go back and "work" the relaxer on the new growth. You know smooth the relaxer on the new growth.

I then rinse, neutralize, put a reconstructing conditioner, deep condition then put a leave in conditioner.

Again, I wouldnt' recommend it if your hair isn't strong enough. I was told by my hair dresser that hair is weak after braids, weave and that it is best to wait two weeks. But I have never had a problem relaxing the day I take my weave or braids out.

Last edited:
I used to do this. I have strong hair but I would advise against this. Even if you have strong hair, remember your hair is going to be in a fragile state because of the weave. I would suggest that you shampoo, then DC. Maybe in a day or so, you can do a protein treatment like Aphogee. I would wait atleast a week.

I agree with Ajoyfuljoy, maybe you should try a cute wig.

Last edited:
I did this the last time I took my weave out and my hair came out looking as it did in the avatar (it didnt burn either, I used Gentle Treatment). I never had a problem before, but I just want to make sure its in its best condition. I want to do things properly. I have been moisturizing and oiling my hair, but my hair is so coarse and nappy that I dont even think a bun would help. I just hate the fact of having my hair looking a mess. But I do see what you guys are saying when you say wait a week.
I guess waiting overnight isnt a good idea. I just figured that being your only touching the new growth and new growth is usually healthy and strong that as long as I put something to protect my ends the touch up should be fine.

Can you go get a blow out and wait a week? You can have the "relaxed" same effect but also give your hair time after it being manipulated from the weave being removed.

Can you go get a blow out and wait a week? You can have the "relaxed" same effect but also give your hair time after it being manipulated from the weave being removed.

I was thinking that also. Just going to make them wash treat and blow it out the best way they can. Maybe they might do it. But Dominicans always rush me to perm because my hair grows in unmanageable, the straighter the better.

I wouldn't do it. I've waited 1-2 weeks and just would wear scarfs that match my clothes or would wear wigs.

(Perming right after taking down braids and weaves is what added to my hair being broken and damaged. It's def not the only reason my hair was a HAM but it didnt help)

wish you the best with your decision. HHG!

I did this the last time I took my weave out and my hair came out looking as it did in the avatar (it didnt burn either, I used Gentle Treatment). I never had a problem before, but I just want to make sure its in its best condition. I want to do things properly. I have been moisturizing and oiling my hair, but my hair is so coarse and nappy that I dont even think a bun would help. I just hate the fact of having my hair looking a mess. But I do see what you guys are saying when you say wait a week.
I guess waiting overnight isnt a good idea. I just figured that being your only touching the new growth and new growth is usually healthy and strong that as long as I put something to protect my ends the touch up should be fine.

Like I said it works for me I even use gentle treatment relaxer too.:spinning:

I used to do this. I have strong hair but I would advise against this. Even if you have strong hair, remember your hair is going to be in a fragile state because of the weave. I would suggest that you shampoo, then DC. Maybe in a day or so, you can do a protein treatment like Aphogee. I would wait atleast a week.

I agree with Ajoyfuljoy, maybe you should try a cute wig.

Why is hair considered 'fragile' after taking out a weave? I'm curious.

If you've already done it in the past then I guess you know your hair, but I still would never to this myself. Make sure to let us see pics :grin:

I am going to take it out tonight and coat my ends with Oil or Conditioner and go in the morning. I will explain to her that my hair has been in a weave for abt 1 month and 3weeks and havent been permed in 9 weeks and let her check the condition of my hair and see if I should perm. If she tells me to wait I will just wash and conditon.

My question is- While in weaves its considered giving you hair a break. Meaning no heat, harsh chemicals basically a rest for ur hair. So why is it considered "fragile" or weak when you take it out?
*Especially if I plan on coating my ends? Just curious!

I think this is a bad idea. For some reason I trusted a stylist to take out my weave and relax straight after... never again. I was left with a nasty burn about 3 inches long around my hair line. I do believe that this was due to the scalp being irritated by the constant tension of the sew in.

I did it last week and the relaxer didn't take very well. I washed my hair at least once a week with the weave, but I probably still had a dirt/sweat buildup. I wouldn't suggest it.

My question is- While in weaves its considered giving you hair a break. Meaning no heat, harsh chemicals basically a rest for ur hair. So why is it considered "fragile" or weak when you take it out?
*Especially if I plan on coating my ends? Just curious!

:bump: i too would like to know the answer to this, I have an appointment to get a weave tomorrow, full head sewn in with all my hair braided. I've had braids and weaves in the past and have always relaxed the day i took them out with no adverse reactions but then again its been years since i've had either and since discovering lhcf im way more conscience of my hair's condition then i was back then. Can someone answer Classi123's question and for me, clarify why they think its better to wait a week or 2 weeks before relaxing? Thanks!

Hey,

Please don't do it. I would advise if your wearing a weave to grow your hair out, that you don't relax your hair at all until you take it out for good. I wore a weave for 4 years and got a little past shoulder length only to have to cut my hair when I took my weave out for good cause my hair was so damaged and stringy beyond repair. And I'm back to square one. Now my hair only past my ears. I take way better care of it now but if I hadn't had relaxed after my weave, and sewn it back up, i would be bra-strap length by now. Good Luck with everything.

I guess you're the best person to answer this is you as you know your own hair better than anyone else. Do you think your hair would be able to tolerate getting a relaxer straight out of a weave. I personally don't think mine would.

ETA: I just realised this thead is a few months old, you've probably done relaxed your hair by now! :D

Back