Tampa Bay ladies - Please help a natural sista out!

Salama

Hello ladies,

I moved to Tampa very recently (about two weeks ago) and I desperately need recommendations for good beauty supply stores in the area because my hair is looking a HOT mess rite now and I can't bear it for much longer. I've been natural for about a year and I've finally gotten a decent regimen going but my products have run out and I have no idea where to go to re-stock. I spent the better part of yesterday out in the sun, hiking to a Sally's that's quite a distance from where I live (I don't have a car yet so I have to rely on the buses, which as you know are quite...well, irregular). When I finally got there I was pissed off 'cause I couldn't find half the things I was looking for (i.e. - SCurl no-drip, Elasta QP creme conditioning poo, Lustrasilk Shea Cholesterol, etc.). I'd never been so disappointed by a Sally's.

I also want to get my hair braided sometime in the near future so I'd like recomms. for that too, if you please. Preferably someone who really knows what they're doing. I have ultra-thick 4b hair and more often than not I look like a little medusa by the time my braids are done. I use up packets and packets of extension so the style is heavy to wear and looks bulky - my already big head is magnified a hundred fold:nono:. I am yet to find a braider who can braid my kind of hair in such a way that the braids aren't too full/many.

Sorry for the mini-dissertation folks but I really am kinda desperate. Please help me out! Mucha gracias.:yawn:

Hi. I'm in Tampa. A store that I go to at times is Kim's Beauty Supply which is on Hillsborough Ave (address-1241 E Hillsborough Ave) . there is also another store that is across the street (diagnolly), but I cannot remember the name. Those are t two I go to the most. There is also another store called Peoples Beauty Supply (2 locations -5014 E Sligh Ave and 9281 N 56th St). But there really are alot and they are everywhere (in certain parts of town). I also go to wholefoods for some of my oils and such (1548 N Dale Mabry Hwy).

As far as good braiding, I don't really get my hair braided too often (hardlty ever) and when I do I just have my sis do cornrows or I do my own yarn braids, so I cannot really help on that front. However, I imagine that once you go into one of these stores, you can ask the customers for recommendations.

Hi. I'm in Tampa. A store that I go to at times is Kim's Beauty Supply which is on Hillsborough Ave (address-1241 E Hillsborough Ave) . there is also another store that is across the street (diagnolly), but I cannot remember the name. Those are t two I go to the most. There is also another store called Peoples Beauty Supply (2 locations -5014 E Sligh Ave and 9281 N 56th St). But there really are alot and they are everywhere (in certain parts of town). I also go to wholefoods for some of my oils and such (1548 N Dale Mabry Hwy).

As far as good braiding, I don't really get my hair braided too often (hardlty ever) and when I do I just have my sis do cornrows or I do my own yarn braids, so I cannot really help on that front. However, I imagine that once you go into one of these stores, you can ask the customers for recommendations.

Cosigning about the BSS's on Hillsborough. When I visit the peeps I always go here.

I'll give you a bump. I'm in St. Pete, but I have a friend that gets her hair braided in Tampa somewhere. I'll ask her for some recommendations. I think Miss Brit is in Tampa, so maybe she'll chime in.

I'm also in Tampa and I usually go the Hillsborough and Whole Food locations. I also go to Walmart, Walgreens and CVS sometimes. If you really can't find what you are looking for you can always order on the internet. It's not as convient as going to a store and getting what you need immediately though. The SCurl no-drip is diffinately at the Hillsborough location. I just bought some the other day and I believe the Lustrasilk Shea Cholesterol is also there.

*waves to all the tampa ladies* i dont see too many natural chicks here:sad:

i also co sign with the bss on hillsborough..kim's and across the street is ebony's.even the dollar stores carry the lustrasilk and scurl. i dont get my hair braided, when i do its by a family member but there is a natural hair salon on hillsborough in the plaza that does all kinds of styles with natural hair

Last edited:
Back