Tangle City

MsOmri

My hair tangles so easily, half the time I want to cut it so its more manageable. It tangles when washing (so now I wash in braids which seems to work better). It tangles when its down (from movement, wind, etc...) It tangles (badly) with a braidout and in buns if its not flatiron straight before I put it in a bun. :wallbash:
I try to detangle regularly, keep it moisturized but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I end up with breakage from the tangles. I'm forced to flat iron my hair each wash b/c I have the least amount of tangles when my hair is straight.

Any suggestions are welcomed

That's good that you wash in braids, that will minimize tangling. What kind of comb are you using in the shower? I find it best to gently finger detangle the hair while massaging conditioner throughout. Then afterwards in sections comb and detangle under the flow of the shower stream. These 2 combs are excellent:

SBS-183952

SBS-220004

Both of these are available at Sally's. Conair also makes a similiar comb to the top pic that you can get at Wal-Mart.

Also I find that sleeping in braids minimizes tangling while I sleep. If you find your hair getting tangled during the day, find a leave-in with slip that you can massage in to dissolve the tangles. Cantu Shea Butter Leavei n Repair cream works well for me as it has a lot of slip.

what helps me (natural, 4b hair) is:

-washing in braids
-drying the braids completely before taking them out
-never allowing my hair to be loose and wet at the same time
-not wearing my hair out very much
-never wearing my hair shrunken
-keeping my hair very moisturized and keeping castor oil on my hair (because it makes my hair MUCH easier to detangle)

but i'm still figuring out things that work for me..

That's good that you wash in braids, that will minimize tangling. What kind of comb are you using in the shower? I find it best to gently finger detangle the hair while massaging conditioner throughout. Then afterwards in sections comb and detangle under the flow of the shower stream. These 2 combs are excellent:

SBS-183952

SBS-220004

Both of these are available at Sally's. Conair also makes a similiar comb to the top pic that you can get at Wal-Mart.

Also I find that sleeping in braids minimizes tangling while I sleep. If you find your hair getting tangled during the day, find a leave-in with slip that you can massage in to dissolve the tangles. Cantu Shea Butter Leavei n Repair cream works well for me as it has a lot of slip.

I use the Jibere Shower comb. Sometimes after I detangle with the shower comb (on dry hair only) I have to use a rattail (I hate to do it) to work out the remaining tangles at my ends. I work slow so there is no breakage but its time consuming to have to constantly detangle my hair. I currently only use NTM leave in and Chi Silk Infusion. I cant use anything too heavy or it makes my hair very greasy. How heavy is the Cantu Shea Butter?

Also, it appears I need to do a better job detangling during conditioning. I've been doing more detangling once I rinse the conditioner out. (I'm new to this so don't shoot me)

Are you natural or Relaxed?

What products are u using?

I'm texlaxed, APL 1/2 is permed straighter the other 1/2 is lightly texlaxed and very curly.
My hair is much stronger texlaxed and its easy to straighten so I mix oil in the relaxer and leave it in a total of 12mins.

I'd like to grow it out natural as its easy to straighten but its actually the "straighter" ends that are always tangled, wet or dry.

I just want to cut it but DH doesn't want me to. He'd like to see me grow it out natural without cutting so I'm really want to try.

Oh I wash weekly w/ Aphogee shampoo & 2min, still on the fence w/ moiturizing conditioners as some have made my hair hard (Silk Elements, NTM) and other too moisturized (KC Humecto) to the point where it frizzed up after flat ironing. I only put NTM leave in & Chi Silk Infusion in my hair.

I know I need to DC and wash more often but the tangling makes me hesitant to wash more often and I haven't found a DC that doesn't over moisture as I dont' have dry hair or scalp.

I've cut my hair probably 4 times this year (since March) as soon as I reach APL. I 've cut probably 5 inches in this time and it grows right back. I want to get past APL but its so hard to manage.

Please help

I'm texlaxed, APL 1/2 is permed straighter the other 1/2 is lightly texlaxed and very curly.
My hair is much stronger texlaxed and its easy to straighten so I mix oil in the relaxer and leave it in a total of 12mins.

I'd like to grow it out natural as its easy to straighten but its actually the "straighter" ends that are always tangled, wet or dry.

I just want to cut it but DH doesn't want me to. He'd like to see me grow it out natural without cutting so I'm really want to try.

Oh I wash weekly w/ Aphogee shampoo & 2min, still on the fence w/ moiturizing conditioners as some have made my hair hard (Silk Elements, NTM) and other too moisturized (KC Humecto) to the point where it frizzed up after flat ironing. I only put NTM leave in & Chi Silk Infusion in my hair.

I know I need to DC and wash more often but the tangling makes me hesitant to wash more often and I haven't found a DC that doesn't over moisture as I dont' have dry hair or scalp.

I've cut my hair probably 4 times this year (since March) as soon as I reach APL. I 've cut probably 5 inches in this time and it grows right back. I want to get past APL but its so hard to manage.

Please help

Your hair sounds like mines. I can't help though since i'm still trying to figure it lol.

I use the Jibere Shower comb. Sometimes after I detangle with the shower comb (on dry hair only) I have to use a rattail (I hate to do it) to work out the remaining tangles at my ends. I work slow so there is no breakage but its time consuming to have to constantly detangle my hair. I currently only use NTM leave in and Chi Silk Infusion. I cant use anything too heavy or it makes my hair very greasy. How heavy is the Cantu Shea Butter?

Also, it appears I need to do a better job detangling during conditioning. I've been doing more detangling once I rinse the conditioner out. (I'm new to this so don't shoot me)

The Cantu can be heavy. See for me the Jibere is too wide tooth for my shower comb, I found I missed some tangles and knots with it. Perhaps you can get by without using the ratail, seamless combs are good.

Also finding a good detangling conditioner will help melt tangles so you don't have so much work to do afterwards. Hope you find what works for your hair. :)

I have the same problem too.

I have tried the shower comb, but have just come to realise that a K cutter comb does a better job on my damp hair, working my way up from the ends to the roots. Before I use this comb, I have to finger detangle a bit though. Because my hair never wants to stay its detangled state unless I've just had a fresh relaxer AT THE SALON. I normally plait my hair, especially before going to sleep.

Aussie Miracle Hair Insurance Leave in Conditioner is GREAT for detangling also.

I'm still looking for ways to make detangling easier.

The Cantu can be heavy. See for me the Jibere is too wide tooth for my shower comb, I found I missed some tangles and knots with it. Perhaps you can get by without using the ratail, seamless combs are good.

Also finding a good detangling conditioner will help melt tangles so you don't have so much work to do afterwards. Hope you find what works for your hair. :)

I have the same problem too.

I have tried the shower comb, but have just come to realise that a K cutter comb does a better job on my damp hair, working my way up from the ends to the roots. Before I use this comb, I have to finger detangle a bit though. Because my hair never wants to stay its detangled state unless I've just had a fresh relaxer AT THE SALON. I normally plait my hair, especially before going to sleep.

Aussie Miracle Hair Insurance Leave in Conditioner is GREAT for detangling also.

I'm still looking for ways to make detangling easier.

LadyLionessa your hair is gorgeous.

Vestaluv1 - wow that was great progress in 6.5M, so healthy

Thanks ladies, does anyone have suggestions for managing tangles in dry hair?

Back