Tangled Mess and Breakage

Foxycus02

Im getting so frustrated, I dont know what to do. Maybe one of you could diagnose my problem, ok here I go. Ive been doing conditioner washes and have been loving the results. Yet one day out of nowhere my hair stopped reacting to conditioners and getting real tangled in the back. I know I have new growth but even conditioner that used to bring great slip dont anymore. It feels like it coats the hair but does not penetrate. I clarified last week w/ Vo5 herbal clarifyin shampoo, applied aubreys gbp , had good results but then when I added Mega moisture (which always gave me good results) it stiffened and tangled again. The newest products Ive used were infusium moisturizin which was the only thing to help me get through the tangled mess and Profective, could these be the problem? Ive never had such problem w/ my hair. When I rinse it out its soft, but when I apply conditioner ( which Ive tried everything from My staple, to my favorite dominican conditioners, suave, loreal vive, everything) my hair wont detangle. Today I soaked my hair in olive oil and will rinse it out after doing my pilates. I was doing the bun style w/ carefree curl gold activator could the protein from profective and the glycerin in the activator dry out my hair? O man I know Im ranting, but I dont know where to turn. I dont ever lose more than 3 or 4 hairs when I wash, and now my sides are ok but when I get to detangling the back, specially the lower part its just a mess, Im extra gentle and I still experience breakage. In 2 weeks I want to get a touch up, bcuz Im going back to campus and Im scared. Any comments, or suggestions. Im open to any ideas

aqualung

John Frieda's Texture Correcting Serum helps me detangle really well close to touchup time when I've got new growth. It's the best product I've ever bought for detangling. LUST takes a (rather distant) 2nd place in my detangling book. I do not wait for rampant breakage before I touchup.

The board contains effective detangling techniques as well as other product recommendations.

miss_brown

I'm not sure henna is the best thing because it's a protein, and if the protein is what's drying out your hair, you don't need to add more. If I were you, I would just make sure I'm using a good moisturizing shampoo (i.e. Cream of Nature), keep doing conditioner only washes (VO5 Strawberries and Cream works well for me), and using intensive moisturizing conditioners for deep treatments(i.e. LUST) and really let it soak in (i.e. 30 min without heat or 15-20 min with heat). Always detangle while your hair is loaded with conditioner. Some folks here suggest doing this while the shower water is running down your hair.

As a last resort, you could also try a detangler. When I first went natural, Rusk Invisible was a life saver.
Hope this helps...

inthepink

Try detangling with a really good, thick conditioner in your hair...of course, using a wide tooth comb. Start detangling from the ends on up. Then rinse and as you rinse, comb through your hair as miss brown suggested. Once out of the shower, go straight to detangling (put on a robe or something but don't wait!). Drench your hair in leave-in and section it off to detangle it.
Good luck!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I think it's a good idea to limit your products to 1 or 2 for the next week or two. Gradually add in other products. This way, you will see when your hair is beginning to do this and possibly attribute it to a specific product that your hair doesn't like.

As far as clarifying--have you ever used the V05 Clarifying Shampoo before or was that your first time? If you've used it before--how did it work for you then? If you haven't used it before, how did your previous clarifying shampoo work for you (if you had one)?

Foxycus02

thats the only clarifying poo Ive used, I thought it was pretty good, its loaded w/ herbs such as rosemary etc...My hair felt real clean and had a very smooth texture to it. I liked it. Its only 99Cents I think you should try it, opposed to the much more expensive ones.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Well, I was asking because I was wondering if it did the job. I use the Pantene clarifying shampoo and it works really well. Actually a good clarifying shampoo should leave your hair feeling a bit "stripped."

msprettyeyes

It could be the olive oil. I noticed that it is very very very drying to my hair. Also too much oil on wet hair isn't good!!! IMO. Also maybe you are using too much products at one time. Just keep it simple and things will turn out fine.

sithembile

[ QUOTE ]
It could be the olive oil. I noticed that it is very very very drying to my hair. Also too much oil on wet hair isn't good!!! IMO. Also maybe you are using too much products at one time. Just keep it simple and things will turn out fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I stopped using evoo for pre-shampoo treatments, it seemed to make my hair feel fried and dried. I also put a minimal amount of oil on wet hair, as I find it harder to comb when there's too much product.

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a good idea to limit your products to 1 or 2 for the next week or two. Gradually add in other products. This way, you will see when your hair is beginning to do this and possibly attribute it to a specific product that your hair doesn't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea, although I seriously doubt the Profectiv may have had anything. (sorry, I'm a Profectiv nut)

Also, what products were you using the same time this problem occured. If you remember using a new product at that time, leave it out your regimen and see what happens. But like SG said, it's best limit your product use and add on each product slowly to see what caused that reaction.

Victorian

old head
[ QUOTE ]
Try detangling with a really good, thick conditioner in your hair...of course, using a wide tooth comb. Start detangling from the ends on up. Then rinse and as you rinse, comb through your hair as miss brown suggested. Once out of the shower, go straight to detangling (put on a robe or something but don't wait!). Drench your hair in leave-in and section it off to detangle it.
Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]
This is just how I do it too. Sometimes I'll be in my robe half an hour before I get dressed because detangling my hair takes top priority.
I also want to second the recommendation for the Relax serum. It always makes my hair much easier to detangle.