Terrible Weave Experience

serendipity

I've never been one for wearing weaves but I had a good friend put one in for me for the first time last year and I gained length and thickness.

Fast-forward to now and I've just removed another install done at a salon and it's not the same:nono:. I got my hair relaxed today (I used the weave to stretch for 6 months).My hair has thinned considerably and broken off around the perimeter-I've gained no length.
I'm really upset and fighting back tears.
I've never had thin hair so this is abit of a shock.
I went into panic mode, caved in and ordered some megatek.

I plan to not wear weaves again for at least 6 months if ever again.
I'm also going to deep protein condition my hair once a week with the Megatek, follow up with my humecto and apply castor oil or Megatek to my scalp nightly. I have a couple of half wigs that I'll use for variety as I'd like to avoid heat until my next touch up in 3-4 months.
I've realised long stretches aren't for me-all I get is more breakage.
what else can I do to nurse my hair back to health? Will I get my thickness back?

ETA:
I got to thinking about why I had success with the first weave and a disaster with the second.
With the first weave, my friend used somewhat bulky cornrows going vertically down the scalp. She sewed the wefts across them horizontally.

With the weave done at the salon, the typical circular braid pattern was used and the cornrows were alot smaller. I think this caused too much stress on my hair

If I ever weave again, I'll use the technique my friend used.

freshlikemoi

Did you keep the "same" weave in for 6 months?

How were you caring for your own hair?

Did she install it too tightly?

I am wearing a weave and have been for a year now doing the C&G method, and I could not be happier with my results. I too am on a yearly stretch.

LushLox

I'm so sorry for your setback :(

I think what you've already planned to do sounds good, and just be consistent with it. You're right the stretches are certainly not for everyone at all.

serendipity

Did you keep the "same" weave in for 6 months?

How were you caring for your own hair?

Did she install it too tightly?

I am wearing a weave and have been for a year now doing the C&G method, and I could not be happier with my results. I too am on a yearly stretch.

I kept the weave in for 9 weeks. I'd already stretched about 4 months before I got the install.

I used my African Royale BRX Spray for moisture-I figured that would suffice as it's what I did with the first weave.

The cornrows were very firm but not unbearably tight.

Last edited:

freshlikemoi

I kept the weave in for 9 weaks. I'd already stretched about 4 months before I got the install.

I used my African Royale BRX Spray for moisture-I figured that would suffice as it's what I did with the first weave.

The cornrows were very firm but not unbearably tight.

Aww. I am sorry to hear that. I don't think you did anything wrong. Well the possible chance of leaving it in too long. But other than that, you seem to have done everything I did.

But, I didn't see anything about weekly and/or bi-weekly washes?

The next time you decide to wear a weave to stretch, make sure you deep condition your hair underneath atleast once a week. Remember you said you already had 4 months worth of new growth. Taking particular care of your nape and crown (those are my soft areas too).