Terrified of Texturizing

cyncity

Hi everyone - I have been on this forum for months but I official subscribed today because I think you guys are awesome & I desperately need your expert advice :D

I have natural type 3a/b hair that is bra strap length. I've relaxed a couple of times in the past but have been natural for about a year now and my hair is all natural and in pretty good condition. I get it blown out in a Dominican salon once a week and it looks super straight, shiny, silky and healthy (everyone thinks I relax). My problem is that in the summer I get it blown out at the salon and the second I walk out it gets frizzy. I am SERIOUSLY considering getting a relaxer but I don't want bone straight hair - I like the versatility of having wavy/curly hair when I feel like it. I just don't want to deal with the hours of wait at the salon in the summer only to walk out and have it get frizzy. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting to relax so I think that as an alternative I will texturize.

I am terrified of what will happen to my hair & desperately need help. Is there such a thing as a "Texturizer" or can I just use a mild relaxer and leave it un for a short amount of time 5-10 minutes? The times I relaxed years ago, my hair would get pin straight in less than 10 minutes. I don't want pin straight now, I just want to loosen the curl a little bit so as to make it easier to manage in the summer (aka no frizz).

Does anyone out there with type 3 hair have any suggestions? What is the difference between texturizer & relaxer? Do you suggest any specific brands that are gentle? My friend has been trying to talk me out of doing anything to my hair (she thinks I'm crazy) but she said if I do it then I should use a kiddie brand - do you have any kid brand suggestions?

hopeful

Sorry, I don't have any recs but just a suggestion. You are making a permanent decision for a short-term problem. Risking over-relaxing so you can have straight hair for the summer when you say you love the versatility of natural hair. If I were you I'd let go of the straight hair for the summer and go back to straight styles in the fall. Your hair would probably appreciate the heat break. Now if you really do want straight hair like 90% of the time then I guess it doesn't matter.

Isis

I don't have type 3 hair but I strongly suggest not using chemicals if your only problem is frizz in the summer. There are other ways to handle the frizz using good products (such as Frizz-ease and others mentioned for natural hair) and techniques (such as rollersetting).

Now, I'm not an expert on these products for type 3 hair but I'm sure there's a lot of info on this board about it.:)

BTW, there is a long thread on LHC just on this topic to eliminate frizz for "curly heads" or type 3's. www.longhaircommunity.com

LipGlassHoney

hopeful said:
Sorry, I don't have any recs but just a suggestion. You are making a permanent decision for a short-term problem. Risking over-relaxing so you can have straight hair for the summer when you say you love the versatility of natural hair. If I were you I'd let go of the straight hair for the summer and go back to straight styles in the fall. Your hair would probably appreciate the heat break. Now if you really do want straight hair like 90% of the time then I guess it doesn't matter.

ITA! Also, some texturizers come out uneven. You can have one spot too straight and one spot that is the same as your natural hair.

cyncity

Thanks so much for all your input ladies - I really appreciate it because I'm really having a hard time deciding what to do.

I've never used a flat iron before but someone suggested that using it combined with "Jonathan Create Straight Serum" is good for eliminating frizz - has anyone tried this?

I've never tried Frizz-ease on wet hair prior to blow drying because I'm always afraid that it will make my hair to oily or sticky. I have oily hair as it is so I'm wary of using any products that will make it even more oily.

As far as the texturizer goes.. I'm just considering putting it on to loosen the curls. I'm just wondering if there is such a thing as a "texturizer" and are they safe (i.e. won't make my hair fall out)? How are kid relaxers different from adult relaxers? Are they milder? Will they make my hair completely straight (which I don't want)?

I hardly ever leave my hair out & curly because I'm still trying to figure out what products will define my curls best. I have different textures now - some parts of my hair are just a little wavy while others are very curly. That's why I have such a dilemma in the summer b/c I don't like the way it looks curly and I can't have it straight because of the frizz.. I end up with a ponytail all summer which is tiring. I thought a texturizer in the summer would make it easier to deal with so I would't have to put a million different products in my hair and add heat. Any suggestions?

Cheleigh

You should really visit www.naturallycurly.com and visit the genernal, 3b and 3c hair forums. A lot of the women in those sections are growing out texturizers or had them and now properly care for their curls.

SparklingFlame

Be afraid - VERY AFRAID! I dont have 3c-b hair but I got a texturizer before and it was disasterous. One side of my hair was wavy/curly. The other side was bone strait. I am not saying this will happen to you, but I have heard horror stories about texturizing. Be careful.
ETA: If your problem is just frizz, do trail and error with diff. products. Try www.kinkycurly.com I hear they have a good product for frizz. You may jsut have to just try diff products to see what minimizes frizz.

Last edited:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

How about just go to a professional, not one who just does hair, but one who specializes in texturizers so you can have a better chance at getting what it is that you want, and make sure to ask for references if you do, HTH's.

Also where are all the ladies who have wonderful results and do their own texturizers at home??

cyncity

Cheleigh said:
You should really visit www.naturallycurly.com and visit the genernal, 3b and 3c hair forums. A lot of the women in those sections are growing out texturizers or had them and now properly care for their curls.
Thanks everyone!

Cheleigh, that website is awesome! Thank you so much for sending it... I've had a hard time deciding what my hair type is but I'm definetly a 3B and it's so helpful that there's a whole section of the forum devoted to it. It actually inspired me to keep my hair natural :) Hopefully I can learn how to manage it and find the right products for it long enough to stop me from putting the chemicals in.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

cyncity said:
Thanks so much for all your input ladies - I really appreciate it because I'm really having a hard time deciding what to do.

I've never used a flat iron before but someone suggested that using it combined with "Jonathan Create Straight Serum" is good for eliminating frizz - has anyone tried this?

I've never tried Frizz-ease on wet hair prior to blow drying because I'm always afraid that it will make my hair to oily or sticky. I have oily hair as it is so I'm wary of using any products that will make it even more oily.

As far as the texturizer goes.. I'm just considering putting it on to loosen the curls. I'm just wondering if there is such a thing as a "texturizer" and are they safe (i.e. won't make my hair fall out)? How are kid relaxers different from adult relaxers? Are they milder? Will they make my hair completely straight (which I don't want)?

I hardly ever leave my hair out & curly because I'm still trying to figure out what products will define my curls best. I have different textures now - some parts of my hair are just a little wavy while others are very curly. That's why I have such a dilemma in the summer b/c I don't like the way it looks curly and I can't have it straight because of the frizz.. I end up with a ponytail all summer which is tiring. I thought a texturizer in the summer would make it easier to deal with so I would't have to put a million different products in my hair and add heat. Any suggestions?

I am currently texturized but I have never worn my hair straight so I don't have any input about using "Jonathan Create Straight Serum" but I am sure any serum would work great while using a flatiron to straighten or to eliminate frizz. As for texturizing, I think there is a difference between a mild relaxer and a texturizer because I have used Designer Touch mild texturizing relaxer and I left it on for a long period of time (45mins or more) and my hair didn't become straight at all. On the other hand, when I used Hawiaan Silky mild relaxer some parts of my hair came out curly while some were straight. So if they are the same, maybe one is extremely milder than the other.

I have been texturizing for a year and some months and I have not had a problem with hair loss. The only way you would experience hair loss is if you do not take care of your hair or overprocess it.

I am not sure what's the difference between an adult relaxer and a kid's relaxer but more than likely one is milder because it is being used in a child's hair. If you are afraid of your hair becoming straight, it is best to do a strand test before texturizing your entire hair so that you can know how long to leave the texturizer/relaxer on.

Have you tried cowashing or washing with shampoo and conditioning or using conditioner (Suave or VO5) as a leave-in conditioner? By doing this my curls really pop without even adding any moisturizer.After washing my hair, I add some conditioner and then I just seal my hair with a serum or a carrier oil and I am good to go.

Lucia

Beware: you have to risk getting straight hair if you text b.c it could happen or worse uneveness.
I have too agree w. the ladies you may want to just wear straight hair when it's cooler and wear curly styles in the summer, product, conditioning and moisterizing make all the diff. I use kinkycurly sometimes in the summer and it works pretty good. If frizzies are your prob. a relaxer or text won't help. hth
You may want to check out www.curve-salon.com
they have a milder relaxer they call a silkener but you can only get it done @ their salon.

Last edited:

cyncity

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
Have you tried cowashing or washing with shampoo and conditioning or using conditioner (Suave or VO5) as a leave-in conditioner? By doing this my curls really pop without even adding any moisturizer.After washing my hair, I add some conditioner and then I just seal my hair with a serum or a carrier oil and I am good to go.

Thanks for the great advice everyone!

I hate to sound ignorant but what is a "cowash"? :perplexed

I think I'll def try a leave in conditioner when wearing a curly style in the summer... it never occurred to me before because I need to wash out all my conditioner when I straighten or it ends up feeling oily but I think it would work when curly, thanks for the suggestion :)

goldensensation

IMO, you will still get frizz in the summer. I am naturally a 3c/4a and when texturized, my hair is about a 3b in most spots. I still get frizz.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

cyncity said:
Thanks for the great advice everyone!

I hate to sound ignorant but what is a "cowash"? :perplexed

I think I'll def try a leave in conditioner when wearing a curly style in the summer... it never occurred to me before because I need to wash out all my conditioner when I straighten or it ends up feeling oily but I think it would work when curly, thanks for the suggestion :)[/quote

A cowash is when you use a conditioner to wash your hair instead of shampoo. You can use VO5 kiwi and lime clarifying conditioner for the first wash then follow up with a moisturizing conditioner of your choice. Rinse. To soaking wet hair add some conditioner (a light one like Suave) or you could also use a leave-in conditioner instead and then add a serum or oil for final touch.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Your hair sounds soo pretty. Please know that even with a texturizer, you will still have frizz and shrinkage. Also, a texturizer may loosen your curls in a way you don't want. I hope you find the answers u seek.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

hopeful said:
CLASSYEBONYGIRL,
Your hair is looking so good, it has grown so much and the color:love:.

Aww!!:kiss: Thanks for the compliment.:Rose: Sometimes I feel like my hair has not grown alot so thanks for the acknowledgement and encouragement.