TexLaxed to Twists to Locs, anyone done this? DIY?

Ivonnovi

Has anyone used twists to transistion to locs?

Are there any DIY "Locticians" on board?

Also what about Locs with extensions? Pics and Experiences please.

I wasn't texlaxed when I started my locs when I had them but I did have about 2 inches of relaxed ends on my head.
I started mine with two-strand twists.

Ivonnovi

So you "had" locs, did you do them yourself. When you removed them did you BC or take the locs aloose?

Sorry to ask do many questions. I'm just curious about starting a program that I may want to undo within a year.

Thanks

I wasn't texlaxed when I started my locs when I had them but I did have about 2 inches of relaxed ends on my head.
I started mine with two-strand twists.

So you "had" locs, did you do them yourself. When you removed them did you BC or take the locs aloose?

Sorry to ask do many questions. I'm just curious about starting a program that I may want to undo within a year.

Thanks

No problem :yep:
I started and maintained them myself.
When I removed them, I did a combination of things.
Where my hair is 4a, I had a hard time keeping it locked so I had newgrowth/unraveled roots so I just cut where the loc started.
Other areas I was able to unravel.
The crown of my hair is where my hair is primarily 4b and I bc'd those parts.
This is why my hair is longer in the front and shorter in the back. It's catching up though :yep:
But basically, I just stopped twisting for a couple of months prior which also helped.
Some people can completely unravel their locs even when they have had them in for a few years. I had mine in for over 6 and I just didn't have the patience in some sections.
HTH

KiSseS03

Bumping!

I plan to transition until June 2009 when I graduate (last texturizer was March 2008). Never thought I had the option to start locs in the process..

hopeful

DelightfulFlame started her locs on texturized hair and I believe she used twists as well. Her hair is coming along nicely. Her hair still had a lot of its natural texture though.

Ivonnovi

I posted here a bout my recent SistaLocs consutation.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=4498197#post4498197

I guess I'll have to go for the twists again. Here's a pic of my thin crown, with braids. I'll continue using human hair if I do these again, becuase human hair is lighter and should cause less wear and tear on my follicules, ps: I do not do my braid nor my twist very tight.

(Funny but with a fresh perm, my hair seems to show the same "parts". LOL

Attachments

• braidsclose.jpg
    braidsclose.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 24

hopeful

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry you won't be able to get the sistalocs just yet, just keep babying your hair. I bet it will thicken up a bit before you know it and you'll be able to get them. My cousin has sistalocs and they are so light and pretty, and she has her hair colored a pretty auburn, she loves them.

Lady S

I went from natural to twists to locs. I had been rocking twists for at least a year, so it wasn't a big deal. I have incredibly kinky hair, so it didn't take long for them to twist at all. It was pretty easy actually. The only thing I would suggest is if you're not used to doing twist or sloppy like me, think about getting someone to do the initial twists so they'll be even and consistent.

Mine grew to shoulder length and then I got bored. I was able to cut them to about two inches and unravel. In retrospect I may have not had to cut that much.

A coworker told me coils are a better transition, but YMMV.