Texture Definition for Natural Hair

NGC

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:

Cute hairstyle, NCG!

Ahhh, the famous Denman brush. I have the one with 7 rows but I don't use it that often because of my shedding problems. I was disappointed when I started using it because I didn't get much more definition with it than my shower comb or seamless comb. It does a good job of distributing product through my hair so I keep it for that reason.

Conditioner washes have definitely been a major factor in the improved health of my hair and have helped me to get more texture definition.

I keep reading about how wonderful diffusers are but I think you're the first person I've read with type 4ish hair that uses them and looking at your pic, you seem to have the frizz under control. I think frizzless drying was the purpose of using diffuser attachments.

Now I have to decide between a new tool or a new product. I love decisions like this!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Yep - I agree the Denman and a shower comb or K-Cutter have about the same affect. And conditioner washes are the bomb (even though I have been shampooing every washes for a few months now). Yep - I tried the diffuser for the first time last June (date of pic) and I was sold. I do think it;s the combination of methods that worked though, sooooo the diffuser played a partial role. It helped to dry my hair quickly and maintain the curls that were already defined by the CW, brushing, and adding the leave-in.

Usually, for me, my hair started to frizz when I didn't moisturize it properly (actually I just went through that up until last night
because I've been lazy).

Happy shopping! I love decisions like that too.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
mango butter for me SVT.You can check outmy album to see how it helped my definition if you'd like

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hair is very pretty!

I gave my Elasta QP Mango Butter away to Cocoacure at one of our meetings. Ever since that day, people have been recommending that butter for every hair ailment under the sun. Figures!

I had been using the Mango Butter on wet hair then straightening my hair after it air dried. It was okay for flatironing. I'd never used it for grooming totally natural hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks so much SVT. Yeah it really doesnt help my hair either as far as moisture goes. But it sure helped me in the curl dept.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
honey_jammz82 said:
I like Abba nourishing leave-in, qp feels like silk, and rusk wired. There is a girl on NC that sells a pretty popular product called jessicurls rockin ringlets, I have heard A LOT of good reviews about this product! I also like world of curls activator gel....it really moisturizes too, a little goes a long way. HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

This item is at the top of my all my lists!

There is an antique store (of all places) in my area that sells Rockin Ringlets. For Metroplex members, the store is in Old Town Plano if you're interested. They were sold out the day I went but the clerk said more would be ordered. I still haven't seen any on their shelves.

I found a recipe for a similar gel on np. I have most of the ingredients, so I'm considering making my own.

Neen

Biolage Glaze! I've said it before and I'll say it again...I LOVE this stuff
. It doesn't flake, it's not real sticky. It gives me great definition, shine, and softness. I hate to sound like a commercial but I would recommend it to anyone.

BTW, this isn't in response to Ayeisha, I just couldn't find any other reply icon.

Netta1

*Some folks use Coconut oil instead of olive oil.

"from the honey.com website:

Hair Conditioner — Mix 1/2 cup honey and 1/4 cup olive oil. (Use 2 Tablespoons oil for normal hair.) Work a small amount at a time through hair until coated. Cover hair with a shower cap; leave on 30 minutes. Remove shower cap; shampoo well and rinse. Dry as normal

Hair Shine — Stir 1 teaspoon honey into 4 cups (1 quart) warm water. After shampooing, pour mixture through hair. Do not rinse out. Dry as normal.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Neen said:
Biolage Glaze! I've said it before and I'll say it again...I LOVE this stuff
. It doesn't flake, it's not real sticky. It gives me great definition, shine, and softness. I hate to sound like a commercial but I would recommend it to anyone.

BTW, this isn't in response to Ayeisha, I just couldn't find any other reply icon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the rec, Neen!

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Netta1 said:
*Some folks use Coconut oil instead of olive oil.

"from the honey.com website:

Hair Conditioner — Mix 1/2 cup honey and 1/4 cup olive oil. (Use 2 Tablespoons oil for normal hair.) Work a small amount at a time through hair until coated. Cover hair with a shower cap; leave on 30 minutes. Remove shower cap; shampoo well and rinse. Dry as normal

Hair Shine — Stir 1 teaspoon honey into 4 cups (1 quart) warm water. After shampooing, pour mixture through hair. Do not rinse out. Dry as normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might try the first recipe. Honey as a leave-in is not working for me.

I've been meaning to buy more coconut oil. It's so light and absorbs really well into the hair. I mixed it with flax oil, castor oil and olive oil for a pre-shampoo treatment when I pressed regularly. The shine was great!

pookeylou

Pookey checking in! I have changed my routine so that I dont have to condition wash my hair so often and dont have to retwist my hair every night either.

I get up in the morning and my hair is mashed.
I spray my hair with Pookie Spritz before I jump in the shower.
I allow the steam of the shower to soften my hair even more.
I get out of the shower and put a little bit of Wojee cream in my hands and rub it into my hair.
Then I spritz with Pantene Frizz Control Treatment ("95% more curl definition" according to the bottle..."Curl Revive define & Rejuvenate natural curls" also on the front of the bottle)
I put a band around my hair and pull it into a puff.
Fluff out my hair just to seperate the hair a bit.
By the time I get into the car...I have coils.
At the end of the day my hair is dry...but soft. NOT CRUNCHY.
The next morning I repeat the same thing if I am not condition washing my hair.

Here is my recipe for making Pookey spritz:

In a 12 oz spritz bottle add:
1 tbsp of Pantene Hydrating Curls Conditioner
1 tsp of www.fromnaturewithlove.com's Rosemary Hair Oil Blend
1 tsp of glycerin
1 tbsp of Wojee Cream
6 to 7 drops of Lavender oil (water soluable) for fragrance
Fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water
Shake well (before each use-the oils will seperate)

I use this spritz to soften my hair before I get in the shower. The steam does the rest of the work.

Pantene's Frizz Control Treatment is good to carry around too...if you are going out after work...spritz your hair with this and your hair becomes even softer and looser.

My Pookey Spritz bottle last me about 3 weeks...but I am heavy with the spritz...many of you may be able to make it last longer.

Holla back if you have questions.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
Pookey checking in! I have changed my routine so that I dont have to condition wash my hair so often and dont have to retwist my hair every night either.

I get up in the morning and my hair is mashed.
I spray my hair with Pookie Spritz before I jump in the shower.
I allow the steam of the shower to soften my hair even more.
I get out of the shower and put a little bit of Wojee cream in my hands and rub it into my hair.
Then I spritz with Pantene Frizz Control Treatment ("95% more curl definition" according to the bottle..."Curl Revive define & Rejuvenate natural curls" also on the front of the bottle)
I put a band around my hair and pull it into a puff.
Fluff out my hair just to seperate the hair a bit.
By the time I get into the car...I have coils.
At the end of the day my hair is dry...but soft. NOT CRUNCHY.
The next morning I repeat the same thing if I am not condition washing my hair.

Here is my recipe for making Pookey spritz:

In a 12 oz spritz bottle add:
1 tbsp of Pantene Hydrating Curls Conditioner
1 tsp of www.fromnaturewithlove.com's Rosemary Hair Oil Blend
1 tsp of glycerin
1 tbsp of Wojee Cream
6 to 7 drops of Lavender oil (water soluable) for fragrance
Fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water
Shake well (before each use-the oils will seperate)

I use this spritz to soften my hair before I get in the shower. The steam does the rest of the work.

Pantene's Frizz Control Treatment is good to carry around too...if you are going out after work...spritz your hair with this and your hair becomes even softer and looser.

My Pookey Spritz bottle last me about 3 weeks...but I am heavy with the spritz...many of you may be able to make it last longer.

Holla back if you have questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

@ 'Pookie Spritz'

Thanks for responding.

I wake up with mashed hair too but I condition wash almost every morning or at least soak my hair. The feel of the warm water rushing to all of my scalp feels sooooo good and it helps wake me up!

I'm glad to know that you haven't experienced any crunchiness with the Pantene Frizz Control. I'm heading over to Walmart this evening and I will definitely be looking for this item.

BTW, that Rosemary is something else! I jumped on nappturality's Rosemary spritz bandwagon and I think it actually helped my hair grow. When my hair is soaking wet, I can feel it touching a different part of my back and it feels weird. I don't have the teabags like Thighs uses. I have the EO. I have a 4 oz spray bottle that I combine 1 drop of EO and then squirt in whatever conditioner is handy. Today I did something different and squirted in some Vitatress Biotin Creme by Nexxus (expensive$$$) instead of conditioner. I filled the bottle halfway with hot water then shook it really good then filled it up the rest of the way.

I sprayed it on my scalp after I soaked my hair because the additional water is another way for me to dilute the Rosemary EO. When I first started doing using the Rosemary spritz, my hair got all crunchy on me. Since then I read up that I shouldn't be getting it all over my hair. Just the scalp.

I can't wait to see if the substitution of the biotin cream will make any difference!

Scasey

[/ QUOTE ]

ShortLooks? Never heard of that. Who makes it? And yep you're right. My hair eats product.

I'll remind you before the next meeting to bring some if you have any left.

[/ QUOTE ]

The web address is:
http://www.lusterproducts.com/products/Pink/ShortLooks/gel.htm

I think it's about 2.99 at Walgreeens. I think you may have too much hair for a tube that size. Anyway, I'll be sure and bring you some.

babyblue

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:

BTW, that Rosemary is something else! I jumped on nappturality's Rosemary spritz bandwagon and I think it actually helped my hair grow. When my hair is soaking wet, I can feel it touching a different part of my back and it feels weird. I don't have the teabags like Thighs uses. I have the EO. I have a 4 oz spray bottle that I combine 1 drop of EO and then squirt in whatever conditioner is handy. Today I did something different and squirted in some Vitatress Biotin Creme by Nexxus (expensive$$$) instead of conditioner. I filled the bottle halfway with hot water then shook it really good then filled it up the rest of the way.

I sprayed it on my scalp after I soaked my hair because the additional water is another way for me to dilute the Rosemary EO. When I first started doing using the Rosemary spritz, my hair got all crunchy on me. Since then I read up that I shouldn't be getting it all over my hair. Just the scalp.

I can't wait to see if the substitution of the biotin cream will make any difference!

[/ QUOTE ]

i love the rosemary spritz. when i was using it consistently i got 1 inch per month and my hair got much thicker. Ive slacked off since it has gotten colder, but i plan to start back on it again. I didnt find that it dried my hair out cause i always made sure i spritzed my scalp only.

CocoaCure

Hey SVT, yes and I'm still thanking you for that Mango Butter. It's super thick, but after CW and spraying with Sta-Sof-Fro, man, it just melts into my hair wihtout that whitish film!!! At first I had a problem with that, but then when I used it WITH sta-sof-fro - it was just what my hair was begging for!!! And Yes! Diffusers are GREAT! I'm still transitiong and there's no way in heck I'm turning back! It's been over 3 months now and I want soooo badly to cut this relaxed hair off, and I have cut a lot, but I always want to keep enough to at least be able to put back into a bun, so I've got to hang in there until at least June, maybe July! Plus, by that time I'll have enough hair to use my diffuser and do some of the cool shake and go's and all the other cool natural styles you guys are rocking! Wooo Hooooo I can't wait!!! Also, aren't we do for another Dallas meeting???? :)

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
CoCoChantel said:
Is the rosemary spritz homemade or does it have to be ordered through the website?

[/ QUOTE ]

ThighsLikeWhat's recipe is available on nappturality.com. Her fotki album has excellent visuals to go along with her instructions. If I find her album before getting fired from work, I'll post it.

Acjazz' recipe is sold online and she has links to her website on nappturality. As before, if I find her website before my boss discovers me on this board, I'll post it.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
Yeah what's the recipe

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out my response to Coco.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
When I first started doing using the Rosemary spritz, my hair got all crunchy on me. Since then I read up that I shouldn't be getting it all over my hair. Just the scalp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...

I had the same results when I made my own rosemary spritz with Nature’s Wonderland Herbal Hair & Scalp Conditioner and rosemary tea bags. I'll have to try it again on just my scalp. The NW product is a hair tea I got from pennherb.com. The ingredients are jaborandi and sage leaves. I added some rosemary because I read it was good for the hair.

Sweetyb

Here's the link to acjazz's webpage where she sells her Rosemary hair spritz:
http://acjazz28.sytes.net/index.html

I'm so happy I got it during her big sale cause I got 2 bottles just for $5. She has 3 different scents as well.

I was wondering if anyone has tried it? I'm about to tonight