Hair Gel Recommendations

goldensensation

I give up! I love the hold of the Fantasia IC Gel w/ Sparkle lites but I am too through with the build up. So can you all recommend some hair gels to me. :ohwell:

I dont like pomades, or ones that leave the hair too greasy or hard. All I want is good hold w/out a build-up.

Thanks in advance.

dlewis

Aveda makes a wonderful gel Aveda Brilliant Retexturant gel) that's not hard and once dried is very easy to comb through. It's $14 for 5 fl. oz. but it's worth it.

*ElleB

I like Let's Jam Shine and COnditioning Gel...It's great, it smells good, it doesnt get hard, and it holds. It's also pretty cheap, about $2-$3 a jar and you can choose your hold...Soft, medium, etc..

HTH

goldensensation

Thank you, dlewis and ElleB!

I've never tried aveda but I will probably give it a try. ElleB, Let's Jam didnt wanna Jam with me. :lol: Well, it did, but my hair needed a whole lot of it- but didnt flake.

goldensensation

I'm on the Aveda site now and it looks like I will be buying more than hair gel. :blush:

And I usually keep my inner PJ under control. :ohwell:

But I want to try the shampoo and conditioner and the little sizes for 3.50 just arent worth it. I shouldnt be doing this. :perplexed

EbonyEyes

My braider recommended Salon Care Styling Gel with Aloe Vera. It's a clear gel and my braider says it's the best clear gel she's ever used. I'm going to pick some up from Sally Beauty. I'll let you know what I think.

LizLeila

I love Fantasia IC. It is the best clear gel I have ever used. It makes my hair shiny instead of dry and is not too stiff when I do my braid outs.

Tene

LizLeila said:
I love Fantasia IC. It is the best clear gel I have ever used. It makes my hair shiny instead of dry and is not too stiff when I do my braid outs.

I agree it is the best

dlewis

I'll be placing an order with Aveda at some point today as well. Their products are great. I went in for a retouch on Fri. and had NO split ends. The last retouch I had was in Nov. and I had to get an 1" cut off due to split ends. Since using the Aveda product my hair seems to be in the best health.

lexi08

dlewis said:
Aveda makes a wonderful gel Aveda Brilliant Retexturant gel) that's not hard and once dried is very easy to comb through. It's $14 for 5 fl. oz. but it's worth it.

I love Aveda products also. What are you using this gel for? Braidouts or twist outs? Do you wear your hair straight mostly? I am looking for a new gel also. How is the smell? Thanks

dlewis

nikki1971 said:
I love Aveda products also. What are you using this gel for? Braidouts or twist outs? Do you wear your hair straight mostly? I am looking for a new gel also. How is the smell? Thanks

I use the gel mostly for my front edges that tend to stay curly and wild, I use the gel to slick them back wheather wearing my hair dry and staight or wet and curly. Sometimes I let my hair air dry, appling a little gel so that it will not frizz, and then weraing it down.

It has a very light smell kind of earthy.

Tene

goldensensation said:
can you recommend a brand? Can it be purchased in a regular BSS?

Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gelly, you can get it at the health store. You could also get Fruit of The Earth Aloe Vera Gel at the store.

Last edited:

goldensensation

UPDATE:

I was a good girl and I punked out right when I was about to confirm my Aveda shopping spree purchase. :lol: I'd rather splurge on other things for now.

I am still on the look-out for that aloe vera gel and I saw online that CVS has its own brand of it. I wonder if it is the same thing and if my local CVS carries it.

Well, I needed gel so I went to the BSS and after I checked the keracare gels, I went looking through the aisles and found the ELASTA QP glaze. I wasnt too keen on the fact that it has mineral oil in it, but since I wash my hair frequently, I figured that it wouldnt be that bad. I tried it and I think I like it. It smoothed my edges back so nicely and when I remoisturized my hair this evening, the hold went away and my hair didnt have a build-up. The true test will be tomorrow when I re-apply it!

Sorry for the long reply (whoever read it!)

PS: My mom told me that I tried ELASTA QP Glaze a few years ago and didnt receive it well. But things change so hopefully it will work for me!:ohwell:

Ronda123

goldensensation said:
UPDATE:

I was a good girl and I punked out right when I was about to confirm my Aveda shopping spree purchase. :lol: I'd rather splurge on other things for now.

I am still on the look-out for that aloe vera gel and I saw online that CVS has its own brand of it. I wonder if it is the same thing and if my local CVS carries it.

Well, I needed gel so I went to the BSS and after I checked the keracare gels, I went looking through the aisles and found the ELASTA QP glaze. I wasnt too keen on the fact that it has mineral oil in it, but since I wash my hair frequently, I figured that it wouldnt be that bad. I tried it and I think I like it. It smoothed my edges back so nicely and when I remoisturized my hair this evening, the hold went away and my hair didnt have a build-up. The true test will be tomorrow when I re-apply it!

Sorry for the long reply (whoever read it!)

PS: My mom told me that I tried ELASTA QP Glaze a few years ago and didnt receive it well. But things change so hopefully it will work for me!:ohwell:

Elasta QP did not work for me, :nono:...hopefully it will work for you. I use Isoplus Styling Gel/pre-conditioning light (sold at Wal-mart). It smoothes your edges down nicely, with a soft hold.

goldensensation

ELASTA QP Glaze Vs. Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel

:ohwell:

I dont know which one I like best. The Elasta makes my new growth so smooth and shiny and it elongates my waves. But it has mineral oil in it. The fruit of the earth makes my hair bone straight, doesnt give AS MUCH shine but doesnt have any harmful ingredients in it. Neither of them flake.

I guess I could use both...

SparklingFlame

goldensensation said:
UPDATE:

I was going to suggest Elasta QP Glaze. It works wonders for me w/ no bulid up ( maybe b/c I wash my hair so often).

goldensensation

I am so upset and disappointed right now. The only reason why I have turned to gel is that when i work out, my edges get frizzy.

:(

I think that the QP glaze is leaving too much of a build-up on my hair and both the Lily of the Desert and Fruit of the Earth gels interact bad with something in my hair; they form white little balls on contact.