Texturisers

michc

Hi there.

I am thinking of texturising my natural hair (I have been natural for 2 years now after having had a relaxer, and transitioning to natural). I like the idea of having the curls in my hair slightly loosened as my hair is reasonably thick in it's natural state and very hard to style. I also have a toddler and do not really have that much time to spend on styling my hair. I currently wear it in a bun nearly everyday.

I just wanted to hear from any of you ladies who texturise your hair and are happy with it (ie no breakage, still growing etc).

Many thanks

Hugs and blessing to you all

Mich :)

Queenie

I love it!! :clap: I started the transition 2 yrs & 4 mon ago. For me it's great because I can do wash 'n go styles. It makes easier to detangle, than my natural hair. I like having curls too.

babygirl_00

Wow :) , u must have read my mind. I also would like to put a texturiser in my hair. However, I would like to know what the different is between a text and a perm :confused: Also who makes the best product to do a texturiser :confused: I've been a natural for almost 4 years now..I have about 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch of perm left on my ends. My hair is pass my shoulders. I would love to wear wash n go styles but am unable to due to the different textures in my hair plus my hair is way thick. the front of my hair comes out really good when I have tried the wash and go styles, but the back looks frizzy and nappy....So I thought if I texturised my hair I will finally be able to wear a wash n go. Is this something I can do myself or will I need to go to a salon. I've been doing my own hair for the past 4 years...

Ginsana

I love being texturized. I can easily wear my hair curly as a wash n go or straight with a blowout. I think you're offered a lot more styling versatility as a texturized head...whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it'll look great on you!!

Healthb4Length

I love being texturized, because I love the options it affords me. Curly one day, straight the next and I can still wear braids if I want and do styles like braidouts and twistouts. I love that I don't have to get a relaxer every 6 weeks too. IF you are a busy person then I think I would be good for you. I don't do mine myself because I have a lot of hair but my previous stylist used Kerasoft relaxer and sometimes Design essentials.

Ronda123

I also love being texturized. I love the styling options that you have with a texturizer. I currently use Designer Touch texturizer regular.

Last edited:

BBabe

Another great thread! I just have a few (actually a lot) ? for those with texted hair:

Who do you think is the best candidate for texturizers?
If you texted from natural, did you notice a different in length unblown?
Is there any special/different care considerations needed for texturized heads?
Do you exp more shedding / breakage?
Do you find that you retain more length?
Anything that texted absolutly can not do?
Do you tend to follow a natural or relaxed regimen to care for the hair?
Is it true that a texturizer will not work on some ppl?

I was just complaining about my natural hair coil/kink, and I'm seriously considering texturizing, but would like to gather as much info beforehand as possible...

Queenie

Bbabe, here are your answers. :)

Who do you think is the best candidate for texturizers? You natural hair should have a S or O shaped curl pattern. It only loosens your curl.

Is there any special/different care considerations needed for texturized heads? Not really. It is simlar to someone with a 3a/b/c natural. But you have used a chemical on you hair, so it isn't as strong.

Do you exp more shedding / breakage? Nope

Do you find that you retain more length? Yes, because I tend to do daily twistouts and wash 'n go's, I wet my have everyday.

Anything that texted absolutly can not do? I don't think so.

Do you tend to follow a natural or relaxed regimen to care for the hair? I tend to do what a lot of naturals do, since I have so much of my natural curl still there.

Is it true that a texturizer will not work on some ppl? Yes. It only loosens your natural curl.

michc

Queenie - you are a superstar. Thank you for those answers which are very informative. Well done BBabe for asking them too. :)

Queenie

michc said:
Queenie - you are a superstar. Thank you for those answers which are very informative. Well done BBabe for asking them too. :)

Oh, your welcome. ;) I am happy to save others from making mistakes.

Chinagem

Texturisers- a little help please.

This is a little off topic and I'm sorry for hijacking this thread but I had a quesiton about texturizers and didn't want to start an entirely new thread. I recently got a patch test with a Mizani relaxer (don't know what strength). My stylist left it on my head for 10 minutes and when she rinsed it, my hair still looked basically natural but it looked as if I'd blown it out some. She told me that not everybody's hair will form curls when it's texturized but I have to admit that I'm confused my this. I thought that the relaxer relaxed the curl some and I knew for a fact that my hair has some curl to it. If is the case, how could my hair not have formed any little ringlets or waves? I really don't want to get my hair relaxed bone straight and I'd like the option of wearing a wash and go and I'm afraid I won't be able to wear wash and gos if I get the results that I got with the patch test.

So, my question is, has anybody ever tried to texturize their hair and got the same results? If so, did u do anything to rectify the results? Do I need to have her leave the relaxer on for a longer period of time and if so, how long do you imagine would be a good time? TIA.

sareca

I love being texturized. I used Phyto. My unsolicited advice? Strand test, strand test, stand test.

sareca

Re: Texturisers- a little help please.

Chinagem said:
This is a little off topic and I'm sorry for hijacking this thread but I had a quesiton about texturizers and didn't want to start an entirely new thread. I recently got a patch test with a Mizani relaxer (don't know what strength). My stylist left it on my head for 10 minutes and when she rinsed it, my hair still looked basically natural but it looked as if I'd blown it out some. She told me that not everybody's hair will form curls when it's texturized but I have to admit that I'm confused my this. I thought that the relaxer relaxed the curl some and I knew for a fact that my hair has some curl to it. If is the case, how could my hair not have formed any little ringlets or waves? I really don't want to get my hair relaxed bone straight and I'd like the option of wearing a wash and go and I'm afraid I won't be able to wear wash and gos if I get the results that I got with the patch test.

So, my question is, has anybody ever tried to texturize their hair and got the same results? If so, did u do anything to rectify the results? Do I need to have her leave the relaxer on for a longer period of time and if so, how long do you imagine would be a good time? TIA.

Sorry to hear about that.:( I haven't had that experience, but I've heard hard water or product buildup on the hair can make it resistant to all sorts of processes.

Chinagem

Thanks for the response, Sareca. The patch test was actually the strand test that she did for me b/c i'm going to get it fully processed oct. 14 and i wanted to get an idea of what to expect. As of right now I'm 100% natural and I grew my hair out with the intentions of getting it texturized. The results were just frizzy looking like my normal hair looks after it's been washed and combed/brushed. Maybe it's just not meant for me to be texturized. I guess I'll be relaxing bone straight because I dont' want to deal with the fuzzies if I'm going to put chemicals in my hair.

Chinagem

I just read a post from another web site that said that texturizers don't work for everybody. They said that andre walker said that those with 4b hair will get frizz. I guess I have 4a/4b type hair so i'm still confused because when I put proclaim curl activator/lustrasilk curl activator, qp glaze on my hair, i get millions of little curls all over the place. i've also always heard people say that people with 4b hair won't get curl definition because their hair doesn't curl but has a z pattern but i know for a fact that my hair curls with manipulation (but that's another topic). My point is, if i can get the definition with these products why can I not get it with the chemical? I know you guys may not know the answer to that but it just baffles me. Sorry for rambling on and on.

cafe_au_lait

Let me just say that I had this EXACT same experience, only I didn't do a strand test I was just fed up and ready for a change so I did my whole head... I used a mile lye relaxer on my natural 4a hair and mixed it half and half with conditioner. After 7 minutes, my hair was barely any different -- the curls were a LITTLE more defined when wet, but if I were to have looked at only a small section as opposed to an entire wet head it would have just looked like blown out nappy frizz. And after 1 week my normal napps seemed to revert right back. I did it again a month later, this time left it on for 15 minutes total. Again, a FEW more curls, but mostly frizz. Frustrated and convinced my hair wouldn't texturize (even though when natural I have no curl definition but each hair curls up on itself into an o, and a few curve into an s) so I bought a no lye creme of nature box perm (regular) from cvs and tried to straighten. I put a chunk of shea butter in it, and left it on, combing through constantly til my hair felt absolutely straight (20-25 minutes). But when I rinsed, I HAD CURLS!!! :D

So long story short, you probably need two things:
1. leave it on longer, with more combing (I can't advise what smoothing will do -- in my opinion that might lead to too much straightening)
2. Make sure you are working with a regular strength something and not a mild -- I have this theory that at least my hair needs a little strength in order to texturize -- like it needs to be sort of "shocked" into curls. Mild would never texturize my hair i don't think...

Sorry so long. I hope this helps, and wish you the best of luck!!!

P.S. also, during my last touch up, I used regular again for 20 min. but didn't smooth enough (harder to do for me when you're just combing the roots) and again ended up with stretched out frizz. But I now know that I just need to leave it on longer to get to the curls...

Chinagem

Thanks so much for the input that you ladies provided. I'm going to make sure I clarify my hair two days before I get it relaxed just in case I have buildup and I don't know about it. Maybe now since she thinks i'm relaxing straight she'll do more smoothing and I will get better results. I don't understand why this happened b/c my hair has NEVER had a problem relaxing in the past when I used to relax. I just hope that my hair will have some texture to it b/c I can't see myself with bone straight hair.

precious_pup

I highly praise the texturizer as an option. I love the versatility and not a lot of fuss is needed when it is time to style. I have been using Designer Touch for 4 years and I have no complaints so far.

loonatick

Hi, i am a newbie and i used S Curl in the tub (lye) to texturize. My hair still looks natural but behaves texturized. Its much easier to deal with, while still having the appearance of natural hair. Oh yes, i have still have shrinkage, theres no getting around that one!

I had previuosly used Soft and Beautifuls Botanicals in Coarse (also lye) but i think it was too gentle, i saw no difference.
Does anyone here use actual texturizers and get good results?

BTW i love this place!!!

MissDiva

I guess I'm the only one that absolutely hated my texturizer. I did the big chop and then decided to texturize my hair because I thought it would be easier. I have a million different textures in my head and I admit I didn't do a strand test. The end result was stringy hair with no fullness. I went natural because I wanted my hair to be fuller/thicker and after the texturizer it looked thin and stringy. To make a long story short, I've cut the texturized ends off and I'm not completely natural. Texturizing is to much work for me, as far as the different processing times, and dealing with the tangling due to the all the different texturizer. When considering a texturizer, make sure you do all of your research and truly try to work with your natural hair, because your essentially putting a relaxer in your hair again, and just leaving it in for a shorter period of time. And there isn't a easy way to go back. But this is just my two cents!!!!