Who relaxed/texturised their hair whilst pregnant

michc

Hi all

I am natural and have been for three years, and I have struggled to keep my hair looking good for the last couple of years (I have an 18 month old toddler - enough said;) ). I have finally decided to texturise my hair, but hubby and I also want to try for another baby soon (ok maybe too much info there..:lol: :lachen: ). I am wondering whether to wait until I've had baby or go ahead now and texturise my hair and maintain it throughout pregnancy (God willing).

Who relaxed/texturised their hair whilst pregnant? Any problems? Is it harmful to the foetus? Any help would be great.

Thank you

Mich :D

This is my experience:

I have always been a stretcher, before I know about stretching. I get my touch up once a season.

When I was pregnant, I continued to get touch ups without it harming my babies. I was sure to eat healthy and take my vits and excersize/walk.
And they are to this day, healthy, strong little things.

With my second, I got a one touch up and then did braids. It was because with the first I was caught delivering her badly needing my hair done and looking a Hot MEss in the pictures.

If you are worried, braid or get twists. One other thing, the hormones in pregnancy may cause your chemical to not take as it would otherwise. So you may want to wait for that reason. But I really don't think a touch up or two will harm your fetus.

I did with all 3 kids and then I didn't know what I do now so I was getting a relaxer every 5 weeks. :eek: My kids are healthy.:)

Last edited:
There is no scientific proof that relaxers/texturizers harm fetuses. I relaxed faithfully w/ my son with no problems, he's healthy and does quite well academically. My hair grew very fast but was very thin the whole pregnancy.

Now, with this pregnancy it's a different story, my hair isn't growing as fast, but it's very thick. And it just won't take a relaxer. During my 2 trimester the relaxer stop straightening my hair and would burn my scalp tremendously. My hair has become very thick so the relaxer will not straighten my wave pattern.

I did some research and found out that hormones may cause your scalp to be overly sensitive and sometimes cause your hair to become thinner or thicker.
This is different for all, but it's just my experience.

I did not perm my hair when I was pregnant with my daughter in 2000. I was too scared to do anything extra with my hair. Now this last time I got pregnant (2005) I permed my hair in second trimester and did not perm my hair again until he was two weeks old. My hairdresser said she permed and texturized her hair and plenty of her clients hair in the past. I think it's the old school people telling us not to do all of that extra stuff to our hair from back in the day. I think it's safe...at least it was for me. :look:

I relaxed when preg with my second last year but it was in the second trimester... the smell would have killed me during the heavy nausea time.

I was a little worried too... holistically it's prob. not the healthiest move. I can't really recommend it because I don't know for sure whether it's 1oo % safe or not. OTOH the baby is fine and healthy(i was au natchural for the first preg). Gut feeling: I doubt that there's anything too dangerous goin' on. if so, there'd be a lot of afro-amer./afro-X kids with issues.

I also got my touch-ups when I was pregnant with both of my kids and they came out fine. I never knew why people said you weren't suppose to get a relaxer while pregnant...just never understood it. I don't see any harm it would do.

Back