Why are texturisers discouraged?

almond eyes

Hello Ladies,

I am natural and don't plan on putting a chemical in the foreseeable future. However, I remember when I was researching texturisers since I got my first one done in 1994 (in a hair natural hair care salon), that all the hairdressers now I have spoken to discourage them. Two years ago I was itching to get a texturiser and three hairdressers told me that they refuse to do them on longer hair because it is very hard to know where the line of demarcation is when getting a touch up and that they believe hair is either relaxed or it is not because anything in between will be more prone to breakage. I just wanted to know how many of you find that this is why you end up texturising or texlaxing yourself because most hairdressers discourage it? or do you think that the process requires a lot of time and skill which hairdressers don't like?

Best,
Almond Eyes

MissMeWithThatIsh

More or less, texturizers are permanent. I think they refused to do it because they were unskilled and possibly closeminded. Everything is either chemically treated and bone straight or natural and free.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
1.they can be extremely drying due to the hair not being processed all the way.
2.they are relativley inconsistent due to the various textures on ones head.
3.ends usually need to be cut for long tern texturizing. they usally straighten so retaining length is harder
4.most people either cut it off,relax or go natural after a while.texturizing isnt a long term thing so thats why its recommended for short hair.

HTH

divya

Sounds more like certain stylists just need more skill...

3.ends usually need to be cut for long tern texturizing. they usally straighten so retaining length is harder
4.most people either cut it off,relax or go natural after a while.texturizing isnt a long term thing so thats why its recommended for short hair.

HTH

It depends...

It's similar to texlaxing so...

1. As far a moisture, it's about knowing how to moisturize.
2. My stylist was excellent, so it was quite consistent.
3. Lastly, I generally always wear my hair curly and my hair was generally around BSL. Personally, it seems like people do a mixture of both curly and straight.
4. I've been texlaxed since a pre-teen, never been completely processed. So it is a long term thing for some people. Only now am I going natural.

anon123

maybe because it's harder to get consistent results, you know, the exact same level of processing throughout and stylists just don't like that aesthetic or don't want to be blamed for not getting it to the right level each time? I don't now, just guessing here.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I haven't had any problems, but I do agree that getting consistent results can be difficult. I wouldn't trust a stylist, so I do it myself.

Also, I haven't had any dryness issues and my hair does not need constant trimming or cuts.

almond eyes

I agree with all the sentiments. I've had three texturisers from reputable top natural hair care salons and my hair results turned out the same as my own natural hair with the finer parts of my hair getting too straight or extremely wavy. Eventually, because I did not understand the whole moisture issue and my hair hates chemicals, my hair got damaged. I also did texturisers on my own and those also failed miserably. I have also been turned away from so many salons because they refuse to get blamed for the results since my hair is very dense. I love the look of texturisers and texlaxs but my hair just can't handle and I can't take anymore chances. And I find that with the different textures of my hair, getting perfect results are near impossible for me. I love my natural hair and find that when I get the right moisture balance the need for a texturiser was eliminated and believe you me, my hair looks night and day with products vs. without.

Best,
Almond Eyes

hopeful

HTH

Dang, you really broke it down! Great post.