Thanks Peachtree(twist out)...

sweetcocoa

I followed your technique(tweeked it a little) last night and for the first time I got a decent twist out(I'm gonna perfect it with a little more practice). I did 2 strand flat twists. The next time I'm gonna do single strand flat twists. Your pics of doing the rows going back instead of straight down on the sides made a difference it the way it hangs once it dries. I wanted to say thanks!
smile.gif

congrats!!!
clap.gif
clap.gif
i hope to do a braid out this weekend. hey if all else fails i will be getting a wash and set next week. those pics from peachtree do help and the directions also help. i am always jotting down everything she says, she has been so resourceful to this site. and her hair is gorgeous as well. i love the inspirational ladies on this site.
weird.gif
smile.gif
God bless you all.

[ QUOTE ]
I followed your technique(tweeked it a little) last night and for the first time I got a decent twist out(I'm gonna perfect it with a little more practice). I did 2 strand flat twists. The next time I'm gonna do single strand flat twists. Your pics of doing the rows going back instead of straight down on the sides made a difference it the way it hangs once it dries. I wanted to say thanks!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you do both the 1 and 2 strand twists?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you do both the 1 and 2 strand twists?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the 2 strand flat twist I braid my hair as if cornrowing...but use only 2 sections of hair instead of 3. The single strand is basically twisting your hair between your index finger and thumb(at least this is how I do it) and adding a little bit of loose hair as you go...the same way as cornrowing. I'm practicing the last one on my mannequin head at this very momnent. That way I won't wake up with jacked up hair..lol.. I use Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter to give my twists 'hold'... If I don't like how the single strand flat twists turns out, I'll stick to the 2 strand ones.

Awwww, I'm blushing in delight
smile.gif
... it's not often that one of my own "inspirations" thank me for my advice. You are most certainly welcome sweetheart
smile.gif
. Can u post your twist out pic? I'd looove to see it.

I never thought of the "single strand".... ooo, I gotta try that
cool.gif
!!!

I'm still blushing
smile.gif
.... thank u Azul
smile.gif
. "I'm always jotting down everything she says".... Wow, I didn't know that i was having such an impact... it feels wonderful
smile.gif
. Thanks again sweetie
cool.gif

I need to get my co-worker to take a pic next week....by then I will have it perfected(hopefully)...oce again thanks!

Braid out- Braid hair (small/large sections depending on what effect you are after), sleep on it or under a dryer, unravel and finger comb, crimped sort of hair.

Twist out- Twist hair(small sections), sleep on it or maintain the style. Untwist and arrange. Result- sort of 3c type curls.

I followed your technique Friday night and for the first time I got a decent braid out. Your pics of doing the rows going back made a difference in the way it hangs once it dries. My hair looks soft and shiny and does not feel dry. My only problem is the front edges how do I get that a bit more wavy? Also for tomorrow do I just re-braid tonight and do it again in the morning, do I use S-curl for that?
Thanks

Yes, thanks Peachtree. I can't tell you all how many complements I've received since I first tried the twist out! I'm a sister with fine hair, so this is perfect for me cuz it makes the hair look fuller.
grin.gif

Hey MzRhonda, I'm really happy for u luv. Doesn't feel wonderful to have "perfected" the style for u?
clap.gif

Dear, as for getting the front edges more wavy, to be honest, I haven't experienced this issue... but I would suggest one of two things...
1) position the "front vertical braid" closer to your edges & make the braids more firm. This should allow u to "pickup" the edge hair better & the "firmness" should make the "crimps" more defined
smile.gif
......................... or .........................
2) have a separate frontal vertical braid just for the edges. So instead of having 1 frontal vertical braid on each side, you'll have 2 (1 of which is just for the edges).

Maintenance is of course critical for this style... but it's also filled with more trial & error... here's what I do...

1) detangle hair (if needed). My braid outs are really light, so the air tends to blow the hair around a lot. I use my fingers only to gently detangle

2) separate hair into the "original" braided sections

3) spritz each sectioned hair with water till damp. Then with oil. I like Hot 6 because it's nice & light. You can most definitely use your S-curl if u like. But let me caution u... S-curl is a heavy type moisturizer, so only use a bit. Also, I find that when I use s-curl on dry hair (or damp hair), it tends to "build up" quickly, requiring a sooner wash (keeping in mind that I like to get at least 4 days out of my braid outs
smile.gif
.). I S-curl when I'm pulling my braid outs into a bun however. But try it. See how it works. This is the best way to determine how your hair (& the style) will respond to various "maintenance" products
smile.gif

4) proceed to "rebraid" the hair. I usually end up braiding the hair in the same "crimping pattern". don't forget to leave a bit of hair for your roller. (a small tip...on the ends, lightly mist with water/oil or your moisturizer/oil. add end paper too. DEFINITELY DEFINITELY care for the ends, otherwise your style would not look as "polished")

5) add roller

6) cover with satin bonnet

Hi Stevie
wave.gif

Gone girl, sport dat style
laugh.gif
. You're very welcome for the tips dear
smile.gif
. BTW, I will agree
smile.gif
it does make the hair "fuller".... it's cuz of all dat moisture girl
smile.gif

God Bless u all,
Peachtree

O.k. Peachtree here is what I did..haven't taken my braids out so don't know how well it did...I'll report that later.

I oiled my hair - Wonder 8 Oil; spritzed S-Curl and rebraided going back in 4 braids (may have needed to do 5, we'll see); oiled and added the curler at the ends, put on my satin cap and went to bed.

I can not believe, thanks to your tips, I actually looked decentt enough to go out in public the first try...thank you! My husband on the other hand didn't like it, but he hates change!!!!!! He'll get over it and get used to it. It's a great change for the summer.

Rhonda

MzRhonda, that sounds fine. U used s-curl for the moisturizer (to "set" the hair) & Wonder 8 to lock in the moisture & to keep the frizzies at a minimum).
smile.gif
. It should turn out fine.
smile.gif

How long do u plan to wear the braid out before pooing again? Are u planning to wear your hair "out / down" each day of your braid out?

OOH, OOH Peachtree...it worked great!!!! We are having company over and I think my hair looks pretty darn good!!!! I have figured out the style for my edges...cornrowing down on each side and then 3-4 cornrows going back(like your april example).I like wearing mine down...I may experiment putting it up for an awards banquet Wednesday night. I'll probably do this a few more days and then wash it out and start it all over again.

Rhonda

Peachtree! I'm v. late on getting on this thread. I looked at your pics. I LOVE those rows going back! They are gorgeous. I definitely want to try that some time. Actually I've always loved that hair going back in cornrow type thing. Definitely very pretty. I can see it in the summer with gold hooped earrings definitely
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing this hair style and how to achieve the look it gives after. Those waves are gorgeous. I can't canerow so I'll try it in the 2 twist thingy instead.

My goodness, I typed up a nice lil response, but before I could enter it, my 19 mth old picked up the phone handset & there went my connection...
mad.gif

BRH, thanks luv
cool.gif
I must admit, my hair doesn't always look as neatly as it does in those pics. But I do try to make an effort to part / braid / twist neatly if I'm going to be outdoors. This way I don't embarrass myself, u know?
laugh.gif
. I love having a "2 for 1" style (2 styles for the effort of 1).... braid / twist in cornrows (1) then undo the braids (2)
smile.gif

I agree on the 2 for one thing. Looking at those pics though definitely makes me want to rock that look for an evening out or something. Toooo cool...

What could I use though on the ends to stop them unravelling? Won't black elastic bands be too damaging? Any suggestions?

BRH, oh no sweetie
nono.gif
. Don't even think about "black elastic bands"
nono.gif
.... a sure way to damage those precious ends... I use rollers, the dreaded sponge ones, but I've perfected them to work for me. I'm gonna paste my technique here in just a sec...it's on another thread...

Here's my "sponge roller" technque...

Before I apply sponge rollers to my ends, I like to "steam" them first. However, steaming the rollers is not really necessary. End papers wrapped around the roller would work just fine. But here's what I do....

1) Place a sponge roller on my Caruso hair steamer til it's fully steamed
2) Lightly squeeze away any drips.
3) Lightly coat the outside of the roller with oil (all around).
4) Wrap an end paper around the entire roller. (remember to wrap end papers around the hair ends as well).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OR <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Dip a sponge roller in hot water; squeeze away the drips; lightly coat roller with oil; wrap end papers around roller.

Another nice thing to do is to sew a piece of satin cloth around your sponge rollers.

BHR, here's the link to the entire thread
cool.gif
(gimme a sec)

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Women&Number=81774&Forum=Women&Words=braidout%20bonanza&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Old=3months&Main=79058&Search=true#Post81774

Oh btw, this isn't mentioned above, but I roll the hair up to my scalp. This also keeps the wet/oily hair/rollers from swinging in my face. As the hair dries, I lower the rollers to just the ends. (If I leave the hair rolled up to my scalp, then I'll end up with a lot more shrinkage & too many unwanted curls).

HTH
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oh btw, this isn't mentioned above, but I roll the hair up to my scalp. This also keeps the wet/oily hair/rollers from swinging in my face. As the hair dries, I lower the rollers to just the ends. (If I leave the hair rolled up to my scalp, then I'll end up with a lot more shrinkage & too many unwanted curls).

HTH
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Peachtree...that was important...lol....now I see why I had problems keeping the rollers on...lol..You are a sweetheart...I should of fiqured that one out on my own... Thanks for the extra tip!

Back