Twist out FAIL

fairyhairy

yep i've been working on moisture like a demon, my hair has been feeling very good the last few weeks, its just the styling that is getting the better of me

Zaz

Zaz, your twist-out when your hair was shorter does not look bad to me. I think the un-uniform pattern is what I consider a fail. As long as the waves look uniform and the same size all through, I don't mind the sticking out at all.

Nonie my old computer died so I lost all my photos, the one on the left was the only thing I could find in my photobucket account that showed a loose twistout vs flat twistout but I was dressed with my jacket on so I know I wore it out.

There were others though that were a hot a$$ mess that could only be salvaged with a puff :ohwell:

tiredbeauty

I'm a twist out girl, I tried and failed miserably with braidouts and when my hair was shorter (growing my hair out from an a-line hair cut) and I tried to do the single twists and I ended up look a tree head, branches and all! :lachen: I had to do two-strand flat twists that I learned from you tube, it reduces the twiggy look. In the beginning when my hair was relaxed, I used aloe vera gel for the hold and definition but now that I'm mostly texlaxed, the only product I put in my hair is my leave-in after I wash it (Cantu leave in) and on the nights I don't wash my hair, I spritz it with aloe vera juice (just enough to make it damp. I sleep on them just fine, without them being flat in the a.m.

Also because my hair was in a weird cut, I didn't do all of my hair in rows that go straight back, I have a row at the front of my hairline at an angle (think bangs) that starts from the top and I twist it to the back of my head following my hairline so I dont have to worry about how to make bangs (I know I'm not describing this well, sorry)...I posted a couple of pics, I'm not in the habit of taking pics of my hair so I don't have too many that are of just my style...anyway I think you'll get the gist of how I twist it to the side to create the "bangs"

ETA: Video that taught me how to do flat twists (I didnt use her products, just technique)

Attachments

• 375230_307158312628778_100000038364480_1272272_284479375_n.jpg
    375230_307158312628778_100000038364480_1272272_284479375_n.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 94
  • 388572_329289667082309_100000038364480_1331698_283161735_n.jpg
    388572_329289667082309_100000038364480_1331698_283161735_n.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

tiredbeauty

:lol: at tree head do you have the link for the flat twists

I just edited my post to add it :yep: She talks A LOT lol, just fast forward to her technique (at about 4:11) :grin:. I didn't use any of the products she does, I just learned her technique and did my own thing from there.

Also, I dont use a comb, I use my fingers to make rows so there aren't any permanent rows in my head :yep:

Last edited:

Geminigirl

I don't like twistouts on my hair that's why i rock braid outs lol. I probably wont like twists and twistout until I can do really big plump twists and the hair will be so heavy the twistout just hangs with little frizz. That's what I hope anyways.

Anyways, no help here.

fairyhairy

i think i must have fine hair hence the braidouts and twistout fails that i keep getting
anyway will post a pic tomorrow - ladies with fine hair how do you get full plump styles?

Last edited:

fairyhairy

pics

don't ask :lol:
-

better from the front?

godsflowerrr

Try twisting the hair on soaking wet hair after shampooing deep conditioning. While the hair is soaking wet, section the hair into 4-6 sections. Moisturize, seal, apply styler then twist the hair. Be sure that the hair is completely dry and just finger comb. You can also use rods on the ends for a curlier look.

CaramelLites

fairyhairy said:
i think i must have fine hair hence the braidouts and twistout fails that i keep getting
anyway will post a pic tomorrow - ladies with fine hair how do you get full plump styles?

I have fine hair as well. My best results are soaking wet hair, using suave tropical coconut conditioner as a leave in and seal with oil. Also I'm a fan of the flat twist out, I do it in 3 rows. A row for the back, seperate rows for the middle, and angled rows for the front. With fine hair the less product the better. Example below of results:

IMG_20120221_074930.jpg

IMG_20111107_071006-2.jpg

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
fairyhairy - It may be the way you are twisting. If you want your twistout to lay a certain way, you have to twist toward that direction. Twist neatly and in even sections. Whether you start on wet, damp, or dry hair, make sure your hair is COMPLETELY dry before unraveling your twists...not 90% dry but completely dry to avoid shrinkage in certain spots.

One more thing, if you want a more uniform look, avoid parting in 4 big sections before doing your smaller twists. Just do the "grab, twist, and go" method, no parting in order for a more natural look. And instead of individual twists, you may want to try flat twisting. That's what I mainly do.

But anyway, I've been there where you are and sometimes still have my days where my twistouts don't turn out right, and it's all because I may not do these things I suggested in this post. Hope this helps! :hug2:

kittenz

fairyhairy I'm sorry but your post made me laugh. It looks like you're seperating the hair too much or aren't twisting/braiding tight enough for definition... wishing you better luck next time

fairyhairy

thank you so much ladies, this time I waited three days before taking out my twist lol
One more thing, if you want a more uniform look, avoid parting in 4 big sections before doing your smaller twists.
I will give this a go also because I always part into 4 first

CountryBumpkin

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, but when i was loose, my twist outs never looked right right after I took them down. they looked just like that. I would slap a headband on and muddle through the best i could on the first day.

it was when my twist outs aged when they started looking the best. after i made it through the first day after taking them down, that night i'd maybe spritz it with some water or, my favorite, aloe vera juice, (i would douse it good, too) tie it down so that I it would lay down in the shape i wanted, and the next day was when it always looked the best. and it would look better and better until it was time to wash it again. then i'd wash it and be back at square one.

Last edited:

Jetblackhair

Can you show us a picture of the twists you put in before you take them down for a twist-out & include a close up? Maybe this will help in figuring out what goes wrong.

fairyhairy

my hair braided before i took it down for the braid-out above

I want to nail this damn style

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 83

natural2008

Also I wear my hair flat twisted for a week or two before wearing a twist out for one day. I don't like to have my hair out and always wear protective styles. Good luck.

pookaloo83

I wear twist outs daily. I twist tight and I make sure I spritz my hair with a little water, some moisturizer, then twist. Then last night i tried it with perm rods on the ends. And today it came out like this. I'm a 4b. I copied the EXACT way ambrosia did it. I'll post the video in minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjm0nKOQWEk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Attachments

• image-3170557552.jpg
    image-3170557552.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Twist outs are pretty much my exclusive style on this ultra fine & fragile 4b/c hair. It took me about 3 months to get it down, so my advise is based on my experience. Probably will be diff for you.

-Twist on bone dry hair. Too wet and they come out kinda flat and crispy looking. On soaking wet hair it looks like a deep fried bird's nest that was set on fire. Bone dry gives me a fuller look. It's also easier to fill in the parts. It's softer.

-Try mixing the flat with the regular. Some areas of my head, around the sides and crown towards the kitchen likes to be flat twisted. My bangs and the kitchen work best in singles.

-Try different sized twists: I was making mine too small (on wet hair this look REALLY bad on me). On dry hair tiny twist outs looked like a puff with no definition. About thumb-sized works.

-I also put my leave-in on after the twists are in for the night.

It's all trial and error. I always made sure to have a backup plan. LOL. I refused to go to work with my failures and would just sport the puff or wash n go.

Good luck!

Last edited:

virtuenow

I wear twist outs daily. I twist tight and I make sure I spritz my hair with a little water, some moisturizer, then twist. Then last night i tried it with perm rods on the ends. And today it came out like this. I'm a 4b. I copied the EXACT way ambrosia did it. I'll post the video in minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjm0nKOQWEk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone 4s

pookaloo83 that's cute. Do you twist on freshly washed hair? Do you stretch your hair first before you twist? How often do you wash/co-wash? -- u said twist-outs are your daily style-- do you twist every day-- how long does the "out" last

pookaloo83

virtuenow said:
pookaloo83 that's cute. Do you twist on freshly washed hair? Do you stretch your hair first before you twist? How often do you wash/co-wash? -- u said twist-outs are your daily style-- do you twist every day-- how long does the "out" last

virtuenow yes I twist on freshly washed hair but I like it damp when I start. I don't do it onsoaking wet because the curls are too tight and crispy looking. I wash my hair once a week. I hate cowashing. I never do it. I was never the one to do second day hair or 3 rd day hair. I retwist every night. I don't lose hair because I know a lot of people say it's too much manipulation for them, but I'm a fine 4b and haven't had trouble retaining. I'm approaching APL. Nightly I spritz each section with a lil water and then twist. IfI want it to be more stretched as the days go by I don't add water I just retwist dry.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

tropical-punch

use something with the same consistency as grease. When I started doing that, my twists out went from this: to this:

Also, I did mine on damp hair. I sealed with the "grease" (Hollywood Beauty Caster Oil)

Lilmama1011

I can't Bantu knot out, I did a braid out and it cane out looking try and my hair is relaxed and it didn't look like it, no matter how much I moisturized it looked dry, nothing gives my hair definition smh

lushcoils

My twist outs look best on hair that has already been stretched before I twist and moisturized/sealed properly, but not too wet or too dry. (so damp). I also have to purposely twist neatly and somewhat tightly like others mentioned. When I untwist, my hair needs to be slightly damp..again not too dry, not too wet, but less damp than it was when I twisted it.

Also, time doesn't matter for my hair. I had one of my best twist outs after leaving the twists in for less than an hour.

Last edited:

KoriKiyomi

Try using less products. It may be weighing your hair down. I deranged while co-washing and then I will apply leave in and part into sections and twist. After twisting I'll seal the ends with Shea butter and rub EVOO and my twist are always great.

fairyhairy

thanks for all the advice ladies. I haven't attempted anything this week, I just put in 2 chunky plaits and baggied and slapped a hat on it :lol: I am going to try something today and will let you know how it goes