That's it braids! We're through!

curlyninjagirl

"That's it Braids, we're breaking up! You're just not good for me!"

I was on a personal Braided Up (no extensions) in 2011 challenge and with 1 month left to go I have realized that there are definite drawbacks to low maintenence styling.

The main drawback is MATTING! I keep my braids in for a month and at the end of that month when it's time to take my braids out, my hair is practically melded together. Especially if I've co-washed or rinsed them a few times. I hear way too many snaps for my liking when I'm un-melding my hair!

The other thing about braids is that there seems to be some wispiness created at the roots. Blurg! There's just no way to escape damage. I try so hard to avoid it but there it is.

My length hasn't suffered but i may have lost some thickness. I think I need to go back to once a week styling and switching up the styles more. I definitely won't be wearing my hair in braids for a while and I definitely won't be letting my hair matte up anymore!

Nonie

curlyninjagirl, I wish you'd asked me before you did--but how would you have known. I'd have told you that was going to happen. I love braids. When wearing my hair out it's braids I wear for the night, not twists. They are easy to do and keep hair nicely detangled and the strands are held straight. So you'd think that microbraids no extensions would by my style of choice right? Not! Why? Coz WITHOUT EXTENSIONS 4B hair will lock up. This doesn't happen with twists which is why I can wear them forever! The fact that I twirl each strand before wrapping them around each other means the hair in each strand is kept from locking with that in the other. I can't do that when braiding so the only way to wear braids for long is to have fake hair woven in with my hair to keep a separation between strands. So yeah, the same thing would happen to me if I did small braids. It doesn't happen with twists and it doesn't happen with braids WITH extensions. So there you are!

luckiestdestiny

You can also reduce your time to 3 weeks and reduce co washing and also you can use cowboymagic to get rid of any potential "pre locks" as well as detangling spray (I use just for me).

I am 4a though so perhaps nonie knows best here. I haven't had that prob but that's because I make sure to have the proper detangling products and I don't wash my braids like crazy either. I do a good wash upon take down.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
OP that happens to me also. I had to stop washing my hair in braids so it wouldn't mat together & just use an applicator bottle to wash my scalp when it itches. I leave my braids in for 4 weeks @ a time too. I know how you feel. lol

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

Nonie

OP, @pre_medicalrulz mentioned something that got me wondering if the phrase "washing in braids" is understood by all the same.

While washing microbraids with or without extensions would can be described as "washing in braids", I just wanted to clarify something so any newbies who may not have heard the phrase used in any other way may know there's another "washing in braids" that is favored among a lot of us hair fanatics.

ETA: If anyone is unfamiliar with the method of which I speak, you can see one way of doing it--the way *I* do it--here.

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

OP, @pre_medicalrulz mentioned something that got me wondering if the phrase "washing in braids" is understood by all the same.

While washing microbraids with or without extensions would can be described as "washing in braids", I just wanted to clarify something so any newbies who may not have heard the phrase used in any other way may know there's another "washing in braids" that is favored among a lot of us hair fanatics.

ETA: If anyone is unfamiliar with the method of which I speak, you can see one way of doing it--the way *I* do it--here.

Nonie I should've said 'washing while styled in braids' not 'washing in braids'. Two different things, yes you are so right. My mistake. :) :) :)

luckiestdestiny

^^Exactly. It's best not to and only rinse the scalp and then do a good wash afterwards. That's what works for me and what I've done for years to get to my length (and I haven't lost thickness if you see the pics below). BUt I also use a good detangler. It's my go to. Esp for naturals (like myself) a good detangler, I highly recommend.

silenttullip

Yep I get matting after 3 weeks of small braids with my own hair BUT with medium or large braids 15-50 it's a lot easier to take down and redo. It mats less and last longer. medium plaits is all I did this year for the most part and the growth is noticeable. I take them down and wash them weekly instead of leaving them in to prevent any possible matting. Maybe that would be a good idea for you or see if this approaching year you can get extension individuals. I wouldn't try micros even with extensions too many stories of people starting with okay-great hair and after the take down they have knotted dry and broken off hair. Either way at least you didn't lose any length

Chameleonchick

I can't rock braids either. I learned this lesson last year when I did natural braids, take down was horrible NEVER again. I stick with twists.

pre_medicalrulz

^^Exactly. It's best not to and only rinse the scalp and then do a good wash afterwards. That's what works for me and what I've done for years to get to my length (and I haven't lost thickness if you see the pics below). BUt I also use a good detangler. It's my go to. Esp for naturals (like myself) a good detangler, I highly recommend.

luckiestdestiny what detangler do you use? :)

Nonie

@Nonie I should've said 'washing while styled in braids' not 'washing in braids'. Two different things, yes you are so right. My mistake. :) :) :)

@pre_medicalrulz, no apology necessary. It wasn't a mistake at all. It's a true statement and not needing any correction. I just remembered that there are many ways to wash in braids and while we hair veterans are able to decipher which one is being discussed just coz we've been there, done that, many newbies to this HHJ may not be aware of the "safer" ways to WIB. Didn't mean you had said anything wrong--I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

Last edited:

chantall214

Would it be easier to use a foam shampoo to clean the scalp while wearing braid extensions? If so, does anyone have any suggestions of a good foam shampoo? I plan on doing braids and I was wondering about this.

luckiestdestiny

@luckiestdestiny what detangler do you use? :)

The ones mentioned earlier in the thread (at least I think I mentioned them who knows:look:)

Just in case:
Cowboy Magic Detangler(which some don't like but I find it does the trick. It was originally for horses but works on humans and is safe just like mane and tale which I don't like but just using an analogy. The site mentions it works on humans. Put a little in any type of tangle, or even matt...work it in and leave it for a minute, and when you touch it again it will start releasing on it's own. Put more as needed until it's completely gone)http://www.cowboymagic.com/products-detangler-shine.html

Just for me detangling spray. I spray every braid upon take down with this anyways just to make sure that it will slip easily out and also it's a way to avoid breaking hair in the first place. The less hairs broken, the better:grin:
Just for me 2 in one conditioning detangling spray. Looks like this. I only use this one. Tried the others but this one is the best (and it's for kids:look:. I know I'm not a kid but hey if it can stop them from crying it can stop me lol)

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

luckiestdestiny You know what I just realized, you DID mention those two but because I have never heard of them before and surely didn't know JUST FOR ME had a detangler, I didn't put two and two together. :lachen:

Sorry about that! :grin:

:thankyou:

curlyninjagirl

@curlyninjagirl, I wish you'd asked me before you did--but how would you have known. I'd have told you that was going to happen. I love braids. When wearing my hair out it's braids I wear for the night, not twists. They are easy to do and keep hair nicely detangled and the strands are held straight. So you'd think that microbraids no extensions would by my style of choice right? Not! Why? Coz WITHOUT EXTENSIONS 4B hair will lock up. This doesn't happen with twists which is why I can wear them forever! The fact that I twirl each strand before wrapping them around each other means the hair in each strand is kept from locking with that in the other. I can't do that when braiding so the only way to wear braids for long is to have fake hair woven in with my hair to keep a separation between strands. So yeah, the same thing would happen to me if I did small braids. It doesn't happen with twists and it doesn't happen with braids WITH extensions. So there you are!

I'm 4a and I get matting whether it's braids, twists, big ones, little ones, with extensions and without. It is worse when I wet my braids. I get mild matting after just one week. I just gotta conclude, after 1.5 years experimenting, that ultra low-maintenence braids and twist are not for me. :sad:

Last edited:

MzSwift

Fine-haired, kinky/coily gal chiming in! :)

I looove mini braids, they are my style of choice when I'm not in wigs/headwraps or extensions. I water rinse mine daily and throw in a cowash when I feel like it. I also wash/DC once per week when I rock them.

However, I will NEVER leave mine in longer than 3 weeks. Same goes for my cornrows underneath my wigs. I must rebraid my cornrows weekly, but I just refresh the style one by one. I had matting after two weeks, I couldn't imagine a whole month! That would be asking for trouble...

If you like them, don't give up on them, girl! Just find what works for you. GL! :)

Nonie

I'm 4a and I get matting whether it's braids, twists, big ones, little ones, with extensions and without. It is worse when I wet my braids. I get mild matting after just one week. I just gotta conclude, after 1.5 years experimenting, that ultra low-maintenence braids and twist are not for me. :sad:

curlyninjagirl, perhaps it's your braid regimen that makes you have problems even with extensions.

When I wear braids with extension, I don't use any leave-in products (so there's no "glue"). For moisture I rely on the two-times-a-week washes and baggying nightly. I always end my washes with an ACV rinse which helps to leave my strands smooth. And because I do my own braids, I redo them, one at a time, when I start to notice new growth at the base--usually this is while I'm relaxed watching TV so it never feels like a chore but is actually fun to me, and I don't have to be overwhelmed by a lot of hair needing braiding; just one braid at a time. This allows me to remove shed hair, make sure there's no clumping at the base, and move the strain of the added hair from the original starting point of the braid to new stronger growth hair. Also since I am careful not to apply conditioner near the base of the braids, there's less risk of conditioner residue getting stuck at the base and making a clump that is like a knot that is so hard to loosen and likely to break your hair.

In this clip you can see what my hair looks like after over a year in braids with this regimen. Perhaps that can work for you?

Last edited:

Bluetopia

Would it be easier to use a foam shampoo to clean the scalp while wearing braid extensions? If so, does anyone have any suggestions of a good foam shampoo? I plan on doing braids and I was wondering about this.

Currently rocking braids and used African Pride's Braiding Shampoo for the first time two days ago and it's HIGHLY recommended.

Blue's "Clean Scalp While In Braids" Technique

1. First I pre-cleansed my scalp using Seabreeze face toner and tons of cotton balls. I did this by applying the Seabreeze to each cotton ball and then gently yet firmly rubbed my scalp clean in sections.

By the time it was done I had used about half a dozen jumbo cotton balls and it was gratifying to see how much dirt and oil I'd removed from my scalp.

2. Then (separating hair into sections again) I sprayed the African Pride Braid Shampoo directly to my scalp. Taking much time to focus on the braids around my hairline where dirt/make-up/perspiration etc loves to hang out

3. I gently rubbed the shampoo into my scalp (using the balls of my fingers not my nails) so as to dislodge any dirty remnants

4. Jumped in the shower and thoroughly rinsed out the shampoo and also squeezed water on the length of my braids to remove any light products I may have sprayed on during the week

5. After towel drying my hair for 15 minutes (by wrapping my towel around my head turban style) - I sprayed African Pride Braid Spray directly on my scalp

**Bonus - Wore a snug/breathable headband all day with my hair smoothed into loose bun while it air dried.

Let me tell you.....by the time my hair had dried today it was so clean, and the flyaways were so tamed that it actually made my 3week old braids like almost new again!! :lick:

I think that's because I was so gentle about not tugging on my hair during the whole cleaning process. Half the time when people's braids are loose its not just due to growth (i wish!) it's also because constant yanking on your braids causes them to slip down the hair shaft.

By taking this more thoughtful approach I will actually be able to keep my extensions in for twice as long as the usual 5 weeks (aiming for 7-10 weeks). And that is friqqin awesome - budget and maintenance wise!! :grin:

I can already tell my hair loves this technique (who doesn't love clean, moisturized, low manipulation hair?) - so hopefully this works for others too. :yep:

Leeda.the.Paladin

Sorry that happened OP. I love braids too, but I also experienced some matting. I think washing them so much made it worst. I'm not saying I won't ever do them again, but it's not going to be very often.

chantall214

Currently rocking braids and used African Pride's Braiding Shampoo for the first time two days ago and it's HIGHLY recommended.

Blue's "Clean Scalp While In Braids" Technique

1. First I pre-cleansed my scalp using Seabreeze face toner and tons of cotton balls. I did this by applying the Seabreeze to each cotton ball and then gently yet firmly rubbed my scalp clean in sections.

By the time it was done I had used about half a dozen jumbo cotton balls and it was gratifying to see how much dirt and oil I'd removed from my scalp.

2. Then (separating hair into sections again) I sprayed the African Pride Braid Shampoo directly to my scalp. Taking much time to focus on the braids around my hairline where dirt/make-up/perspiration etc loves to hang out

3. I gently rubbed the shampoo into my scalp (using the balls of my fingers not my nails) so as to dislodge any dirty remnants

4. Jumped in the shower and thoroughly rinsed out the shampoo and also squeezed water on the length of my braids to remove any light products I may have sprayed on during the week

5. After towel drying my hair for 15 minutes (by wrapping my towel around my head turban style) - I sprayed African Pride Braid Spray directly on my scalp

**Bonus - Wore a snug/breathable headband all day with my hair smoothed into loose bun while it air dried.

Let me tell you.....by the time my hair had dried today it was so clean, and the flyaways were so tamed that it actually made my 3week old braids like almost new again!! :lick:

I think that's because I was so gentle about not tugging on my hair during the whole cleaning process. Half the time when people's braids are loose its not just due to growth (i wish!) it's also because constant yanking on your braids causes them to slip down the hair shaft.

By taking this more thoughtful approach I will actually be able to keep my extensions in for twice as long as the usual 5 weeks (aiming for 7-10 weeks). And that is friqqin awesome - budget and maintenance wise!! :grin:

I can already tell my hair loves this technique (who doesn't love clean, moisturized, low manipulation hair?) - so hopefully this works for others too. :yep:

Thanks. I will give it a try.

luckiestdestiny

Oh I just remembered something when it comes to moisturizing in between protective mist by taliah is the go to. Someone pointed out that it detangles and moisturizes in another thread and that I was probably pre detangling before I even get to the other products on take down.

So if you are going to use a braid spray you might want to look into this one. I realize that you have your mind made up but you might have the wrong products and/or technique and it could make all the difference.

In braids I: use protective mist, upon take down I spray with just for me (wait), then add cowboy magic smushing it into the braids and esp at the bottom and as I go if I feel resistence I add more (as I take it a loose) kinda smushing it into the hair and feeling my way through any tangles. It also gives great slip.

The process is very simple but really works for me. After taking it a loose, I will then of course get a wide tooth comb and stop if there are any more tangles and add more cowboy magic. Then of course after I've finished detangling I finish my wash routine.

Bluetopia

Oh I just remembered something when it comes to moisturizing in between protective mist by taliah is the go to. Someone pointed out that it detangles and moisturizes in another thread and that I was probably pre detangling before I even get to the other products on take down.

i love this mist as well! but have yet to use it with braids cause its significantly thicker than my usual braid spray and i'm scared of build up. i might give it a try and just dilute it with water tho.

I will say that when I ran out of Seabreeze to clean my scalp I ended up using a bottle of Taliah Waajid Moisture Clenz (that I bought during my old product junkie days) and it worked just as well as the Seabreeze!

luckiestdestiny

i love this mist as well! but have yet to use it with braids cause its significantly thicker than my usual braid spray and i'm scared of build up. i might give it a try and just dilute it with water tho.

I will say that when I ran out of Seabreeze to clean my scalp I ended up using a bottle of Taliah Waajid Moisture Clenz (that I bought during my old product junkie days) and it worked just as well as the Seabreeze!

I'll have to try the moisture clenz .

And yes dilute! dilute! I though that was a given but I shouldn't make assumptions. I should've been more specific (as Nonie mentioned for the newbies):yep: