The Anointing. What is it really, and how does one get it?

Sosa

Is it like a blessing (on steroids) to do a particular thing?
Does it come by prayer and fasting? the laying on of hands by priests?
Available for everyone?

Are you anointed?

I appreciate any feedback :yep:.
TIA!

I believe God's anointance is an assignment from the Lord that one cannot operate in their own strength. The assignment is for a specific purpose and reason.

Most of the time the assignment is not easy but risky, challenging, unpopular, or dangerous to the human eye. However, this person has the spirit of boldness and God's confidence upon them to face opposition, attacks, and sometimes death.

A priest/pastor may lay hands on an individual but not always.

Here are some biblical characters that had God's anointance upon them:
Abraham
Moses
King David
Joshua
The Disciples
Paul
John the Baptist

And others that I consider to have had God's anointance: Harriett Tubman, Martin Luther King Jr. and other Civil Rights Leaders.

ETA: I thought about this question some more. I'd like to add that God may anoint someone's gift or talent like singing. The person singing may heal someone's soul or body. Ultimately, God's anointance is for a reason with a specific purpose that brings on change for an individual or group of people.

Last edited:
I believe God's anointance is an assignment from the Lord that one cannot operate in their own strength. The assignment is for a specific purpose and reason.

Most of the time the assignment is not easy but risky, challenging, unpopular, or dangerous to the human eye. However, this person has the spirit of boldness and God's confidence upon them to face opposition, attacks, and sometimes death.

A priest/pastor may lay hands on an individual but not always.

Here are some biblical characters that had God's anointance upon them:
Abraham
Moses
King David
Joshua
The Disciples
Paul
John the Baptist

And others that I consider to have had God's anointance: Harriett Tubman, Martin Luther King Jr. and other Civil Rights Leaders.

ETA: I thought about this question some more. I'd like to add that God may anoint someone's gift or talent like singing. The person singing may heal someone's soul or body. Ultimately, God's anointance is for a reason with a specific purpose that brings on change for an individual or group of people.

So unless God has a phenomenal requirement of someone, they don't need the anointing?

I'm asking because I recall a pastor saying he felt that God wants him to pass on the anointing that is on his life to his whole congregation...something about sweatless victory. I don't know, I suppose I'm just a little confused about whether it is something every Christian should have/ask for.

Hi Sosa,
That is a very interesting question that you have posed. So, I’m going to apologize for the long response in advance. I am not a Bible scholar, but I will attempt to offer information that I have found and hopefully we can work through this together.

I looked up “anoint” in the Strong’s concordance. The most frequently used Hebrew word (OT) for anoint (4886) lends to the following interpretations to rub with oil; to consecrate; to paint. The Greek (OT) has a few words used for anoint (218, 1472, and 3462,). In order they mean to oil, to rub in oil, to apply unguent. Also, you can download FREE Biblical reference software at e-sword.net to see the word used in text.

Ok, so what does all of this mean? I understand it to mean that when people refer to someone as “anointed” they are recognizing that the person has been consecrated/selected by/ chosen by God and are walking in the calling that God has on their life. I agree with how PinkPebbles so eloquently stated that our gifts and talents can be anointed. I interpret an anointing to be a special pouring out of love that God has placed in our lives to helpful His wonderful purpose for our lives. I think the symbolism of the care and tenderness that a shepherd has for his sheep illustrates this purpose (see the references below).

It is also my understanding (and this could be wrong, so if I am, ladies, please correct me) that God has a purpose for each one of us and that everyone has an anointing if they choose to surrender to the Lord. So, when we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior we receive sonship so we are the beloved children of the Father. However, through deep relationship, we become friends of God. Through that relationship, which at times is fostered through prayer and fasting, we get in tuned with God and if we are in tune with God and surrender to His will, there is revelation about our gifts and talents and our purpose. From there, God can and will anoint those gifts and talents for us so that we can be His vessels. So, yes, please pray and ask for God’s anointing, for through anointing is power. The power that God has given us allows us to really reach souls and minister to others. However, please understand that it most likely won’t be easy. I think of it in regards to Malachi 3:3 where it tells us that God is a refiner and purifier of silver. The process if difficult and laborious, but that is what is needed to remove the blemishes and impurities.

I hope that made some sense. It makes sense in my head, but I’m not the best at really explaining things. :spinning:

References:
Strong’s Concordance
What is the anointing? What does it mean to be anointed?

Last edited:
Back