The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

nyeredzi

Where are people getting those figures for other coutries' covid stimulus? Like, I was surprised by the Korean one so went to try to look for it but couldn't find it. And then I tried to look for that in the Australian package, but couldn't find that either. And Denmark's is not just a payment to everybody. Denmark pays the employer most of the employee's salary if the employer agrees not to lay the employee off. So, it's not beyond your current salary, it just is your current salary, right?
Which is still good, getting to keep your job, but it's not what that meme would lead you to believe. And in the US, if you lose your job, you get unemployment benefits + an additiona $600 week on top of normal unemployment, right?

I'm not saying the US is perfect or their response is the best. I just thought that meme was misleading and an unfair comparison.

Last edited:

Dellas

I hadn't thought that far out but yeah it will expensive to vote. Poll tax.

vevster

I'm so happy that my husband found a big jug of Clorox disinfectant bleach at Home Depot. I'm low on wipes so I'll use that as an alternative. I used to take stuff like this for granted.
They are saying 1/3 c bleach to a gallon water? Confirm that ratio. I bought 2 gallons of generic.

Black Ambrosia

How a stockpile of 39 million masks was exposed as fake

A powerful California union that claimed to have discovered 39 million masks for healthcare workers fighting the novel coronavirus was duped in an elaborate scam uncovered by FBI investigators, the U.S. attorney’s office said Friday.

U.S. Atty. Scott Brady of the Western District of Pennsylvania said FBI agents and prosecutors stumbled onto the arrangement while looking into whether they could intercept the masks for the Federal Emergency Management Agency under the Defense Production Act.

The federal government has been quietly seizing supplies across the country, taking the orders placed by hospitals and clinics and not publicly reporting where the products are being routed.

But in this case, there was no warehouse, and there were no masks to seize.

Brady said investigators tracked the tip back to a Pittsburgh businessman, who said he had been working with the union to secure millions of masks, some of which were purported to be sitting in a Georgia warehouse. Brady said the businessman had been using WhatsApp to connect with a broker in Australia and a supplier in Kuwait, who are both now the target of a federal investigation.

Brady said the union and the Pittsburgh businessman, whom he declined to identify, appear to be among a string of middlemen who were fooled. The union and the Pittsburgh businessman are not under investigation, Brady said.

“There are opportunists who are looking for any victim,” Brady said.

The promise of 39 million masks was first made public March 26, when the Service Employees International Union-United Healthcare Workers West announced it had found the stockpile after 48 hours of frantic phone calls pursuing leads on potential suppliers. The announcement by the union, known as SEIU, was widely covered by major media outlets and listed several hospital systems and government agencies as buyers.

In a Facebook Live town hall, union President Dave Regan claimed that the group had successfully purchased the masks and that workers would soon be receiving them.

Kaiser Permanente placed an order for 6 million masks. Sutter Health officials said they planned to buy 2 million. Hospitals that weren’t joining the deal were shamed online. SEIU 121RN, Southern California’s union of registered nurses, started a petition alleging that hospitals that didn’t take part were “putting bottom-line profits” over safety.

But behind the scenes, the deal quickly unraveled, marking the latest in a smoke-and-mirrors marketplace for equipment in short supply as healthcare facilities in California and beyond have been preparing for an onslaught of COVID-19 patients.

In the days after the SEIU deal was announced, Kaiser employees began expressing frustration that they hadn’t received any masks. On April 3, a spokesman for Kaiser Permanente told The Times that the seller had “repeatedly failed to provide reliable information about where we could verify and inspect the shipment,” prompting Kaiser to withdraw. The spokesman said Kaiser has been cooperating in the federal investigation.

Brady, the federal prosecutor, said the Pittsburgh businessman told investigators he was buying the masks at $3.50 each and turning a “slight profit” in the SEIU-led deal. The union said the masks were being purchased for $5 and that SEIU was not making any money. It’s unclear whether the Pittsburgh middleman intended to pocket the entire $9 million profit.

Brady said the foreign connections asked for a 40% payment upfront and that they planned to give Kaiser details on how to forward that payment at the last moment.

At one point, the Australian broker told the middleman in Pittsburgh that 2 million masks were located in a warehouse in Georgia and that the product had been inspected by a particular certification company.

That, Brady said, “was also part of the ruse.”

No money was exchanged in the attempts to finalize a deal, Brady said.

Experts in the global supply chain say dubious brokers and suppliers have flooded the market with suspect offers, creating an atmosphere of confusion and distrust just as hospitals are trying to stock up on the gear doctors and nurses need to protect themselves from the novel coronavirus.

Steve Trossman, spokesman for SEIU-UHW, said union officials had been trying to find equipment for members, and the group had no financial interest in any transactions. Trossman said the union only connected the supplier to the hospitals and had no involvement after that.

“As far as we knew, he had legitimate masks,” Trossman said of the supplier, “and the people who were going to purchase those masks were going to fully vet it and check it out and do their due diligence.”

Trossman said the union “was trying to save the lives of healthcare workers and patients,” and its officials “were proud of having made that attempt.”

Brady said federal investigators had reason to suspect the arrangement. The 39 million masks were advertised as N95 masks from 3M, the largest U.S.-based manufacturer. But 3M told federal investigators it manufactured only 20 million such masks last year, making that large of a stockpile unlikely unless the product was counterfeit.

“We believe we disrupted fraud,” Brady said. “We are seeing [personal protective equipment] fraud in every variation, but mostly in respect to N95 masks. We have an anxious public, and resources are strained.”

Black Ambrosia

I heard the governor of California talking about this coalition and the large number of masks they ordered on Rachel Maddow's show and I wondered how they managed to find so many and if the federal government would try to take it over. This is a crazy story.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
https://www.facebook.com/USAU09/?ei...sHC0Ww0PqDGxLTWwPqiyq-gvv2B6Ot9amTa4GNcqi3FLa

U.S. Mission to the African Union
Yesterday at 7:00 AM ·
U.S. scientists are getting closer to a vaccine to keep the world safe from COVID-19. Several U.S. partnerships are already testing vaccines on humans — a major step toward showing the drug is safe and effective. Others are figuring out new ways to administer and deliver a vaccine when it’s ready. The scientists at U.S. companies and universities have been able to compress their research, which usually takes months or years, into weeks. The effort received a boost when President Trump signed into law $8.3 billion in federal funds to fight COVID-19. The money is helping federal agencies such as the National Institutes of Health and the Food and Drug Administration and their private-sector partners to quickly produce vaccines and new therapies. Here are a few of the U.S. efforts to get a COVID-19 vaccine to the public within a year to 18 months. https://bit.ly/2V00xG3

Chicoro

https://share.america.gov/u-s-makes-advances-on-covid-19-vaccines/

Since March, researchers at two U.S. companies have started the human-testing phase of potential vaccines for COVID-19:

Both companies started working on vaccines as soon as the virus’s genetic sequence was published online in January.

This phase of testing involves giving up to 100 healthy adults the vaccine and closely monitoring them for side effects.

Developing this vaccine so quickly is a “major milestone,” Ami Shah Brown, Inovio’s senior vice president of regulatory affairs, said in a statement.

Scientists at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine have developed a potential vaccine for COVID-19 and a new method of delivering the vaccine. Instead of getting an injection, patients would press a patch the size of a person’s fingertip against their skin. The patch has 400 tiny needles that deliver the vaccine into the body.

“It feels kind of like Velcro,” Louis Falo, the chair of dermatology at the school who worked on the project, said in a statement.

The research team said on April 2 that it hopes to get FDA approval to start testing the patch and vaccine on humans in the next few months.

Investing in access
Johnson & Johnson, headquartered in New Brunswick, New Jersey, also is researching a vaccine and said it hopes to start testing it on humans no later than this fall.

But the company also has announced that it is increasing its manufacturing capacity with a goal of being able to produce more than 1 billion doses of a COVID-19 vaccine.

“The world is facing an urgent public health crisis,” said Alex Gorsky, chairman and chief executive officer of Johnson & Johnson. “We are committed to doing our part to make a COVID-19 vaccine available and affordable globally as quickly as possible.”

ThirdEyeBeauty

:angeldevil:
Scientists at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine have developed a potential vaccine for COVID-19 and a new method of delivering the vaccine. Instead of getting an injection, patients would press a patch the size of a person’s fingertip against their skin. The patch has 400 tiny needles that deliver the vaccine into the body.
Is the scare tactics of the media working for someone to be foolish enough to take this "vaccine?" Even the volunteers are fools in this case.

Who's willing?

ETA:
Inovio Pharmaceuticals, of Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, working alongside the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

What the hell is this? Philanthropist or not, this donating and working with vaccine companies seem to be a conflict of interest. Besides feeling good in helping, what is he getting out of this relationship and what other relationships does he have?

ETA2:
On a very quick search, the patch might be a good delivery system. Why am I just learning about it. Still not good in this case.

Last edited:

Chicoro

:angeldevil:

Is the scare tactics of the media working for someone to be foolish enough to take this "vaccine?" Even the volunteers are fools in this case.

Who's willing?

ETA:

What the hell is this? Philanthropist or not, this donating and working with vaccine companies seem to be a conflict of interest. Besides feeling good in helping, what is he getting out of this relationship and what other relationships does he have?

ETA2:
On a very quick search, the patch might be a good delivery system. Why am I just learning about it. Still not good in this case.

Hey @ThirdEyeBeauty :wave:

Glad you read the article. I try to post information that will allow us here to analyze and make assessments for ourselves and to discuss for deeper and broader understanding. We need to know what is out there and who is out there. Most importantly, it is not enough to know about information. We have to be pro-actively helping ourselves. That requires taking action based in knowledge. Some call it taking calculated risks.

discodumpling

Good News

I ask the question, "Will he be a changed man, now?"

"On the advice of his medical team, the Prime Minister will not be immediately returning to work.

"He wishes to thank everybody at St Thomas' for the brilliant care he has received.

Why would he change for the better? Racists gonna race ya know? Evil takes longer to die...so Boris gonna be around for a bit.

discodumpling

So this weeks objective is MEAT? Just let a sister know so I can buy what I see and stuff the freezer plz!

The 'rona got me cooking gourmet meals for my fam. Yesterday was Shrimp & Grits for brunch and Oxtails peas n rice for dinner...BC (before corona) you were getting one or the other, never both on the same day! Lol! Just watch they gone eat a super simple salad today!
On vaccines...no thank you. Never gonna take it. We good over here.

awhyley

Whew chile. My state has limited the number of friends & family that can attend a funeral to 10. The must also stay 6 feet from each other. Which makes the planning and ceremony that much more emotionally challenging.

Tell me about it. A friend's grandmother just died, they have a 10 person maximum, but she had 14 children! That's not counting grandkids, not counting friends, I mean no one else can even think of attending. All of the kids say they're going. Tell me, how will this work? :eek: The suggestion is to alternate who attends the service and gravesite, but it's impossible really. :nono:

It is the same thing for my aunt. She didn’t die of covid, but the protocols are the same. No more than 10 people. At the cemetery everyone stays in their cars.

Thanks V! I'm going to see whether this is an option.

Last edited:

Everything Zen

SpiritJunkie

I believe it :(

Many of us who are still working would be working a lot less if that happened. In Canada, I understand that a mandatory vaccination (and masks) will be put into place to keep the, entertainment industry, specifically concerts, from completely collapsing. I'm not sure how this will be enforced but I'm sure they are working on it. I suppose we shall see.

Last edited: