The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

OhTall1

Yesterday I was telling someone that I felt like a scaredy cat because I'm really not leaving my place unless necessary. During the entire lockdown, I've been going to the office once a week, fully masked, because there are elements of my team's work that requires us to be onsite. For pleasure, last Saturday was the first time I went to my dance fitness spot that had everyone 10' apart, and yesterday I did carryout at a restaurant I haven't been to in five months. I was feeling good, thinking maybe I could be less afraid.

Then I called a friend today who just came back from vacation last weekend. She and eight members of her family tested positive. They mostly just have flu/loss of smell and taste, but her daughter has some more serious symptoms. Then I remembered: this is why I've been keeping myself at home.

Evolving78

I Have done the test twice now and it’s nothing like the picture lol. They go up maybe 1.5 inches? i am glad. But I do wonder if this is what is causing so many false negatives?
It wasn’t as bad as people are making it out to be unless some clinical staffers and providers are being jerks when administering the test.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Dear Moneyist,

I wanted to ask you a moral or ethical question concerning COVID-19. Here’s my situation: my sister-in-law who currently lives with me has tested positive for COVID as of yesterday. I have not been tested within the past 30 days.

I work in a long-term care facility/nursing home, in Pennsylvania as a certified nursing assistant. I informed my employer of the positive case in my home. I volunteered to stay home 14 days because I don’t want to risk infection to my residents I take care of, or fellow employees.
My employer says they want me to wear a mask and face shield and come to work, and make sure other employees are wearing a mask properly OR go get tested again. I do NOT want to put my residents at risk and I refuse to go through that painful test again.

They said they are my only two choices. Force me to work as a possible carrier or force me to test again, which I feel is against my rights. Can they give me this ultimatum? I’m assuming if I don’t follow through, they are going to fire me.
Trapped between working, quarantine and a test

Dear Trapped,
This isn’t about you, as much as it is about your patients. Quarantining and having a clearer idea if you have contracted coronavirus or not are the responsible courses of action. That applies to everyone, but it particularly applies to you. A nasal-swab may be uncomfortable for a moment, but a ventilator on one of your patients would be a hell of a lot more uncomfortable.
There are far worse things than a COVID-19 nasal swab. I’ve had one. It was not painful for me. Uncomfortable for a brief moment, perhaps, but it was a small price to pay. There are caveats: A nasal swab test is not 100% accurate, as the doctor or nurse who administers the test will tell you, and there’s nothing preventing you from being infected after you take the test.
However, focusing on that is only going to fuel your indignation and anger against your employer, and distract you from the main issue. This dilemma is about your patients, who are among the most vulnerable population. Nursing homes around the world have been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic because COVID-19 was transmitted from workers and/or visitors.

<Snipped statistical data>

This is all useful information to have when responding to your employer. In the meantime, you can also fill out this online form provided by the Pennsylvania Department of Health to report workplace violations. You should NOT go to work if you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. Know your rights. Know the rules. And act upon them.

Ganjababy

This person should not be working in the care home. They should isolate. They also need to take the test, whether they want to or not. People in long term care facilities are so vulnerable. It was not something I ever thought about because it was not my field before. But I have been thinking about this and their plight a lot lately for various reasons. COVID being one of them.

The management is unethical imo. If the only option is the test and the shield and mask it should be the test AND the shield and mask, not a choice between the 2. The only scenario I can see them trying to force her/him to work is if they are severely understaffed to the point of staffing levels being a risk factor to the safety of the residents.

Care home workers in Ontario can no longer work in more than one long term care facility since COVID and if it spikes again I can see this happening here too.

I am also surprised the test is a choice? Staff are getting tested at least weekly here...

Dear Moneyist,

I wanted to ask you a moral or ethical question concerning COVID-19. Here’s my situation: my sister-in-law who currently lives with me has tested positive for COVID as of yesterday. I have not been tested within the past 30 days.

I work in a long-term care facility/nursing home, in Pennsylvania as a certified nursing assistant. I informed my employer of the positive case in my home. I volunteered to stay home 14 days because I don’t want to risk infection to my residents I take care of, or fellow employees.
My employer says they want me to wear a mask and face shield and come to work, and make sure other employees are wearing a mask properly OR go get tested again. I do NOT want to put my residents at risk and I refuse to go through that painful test again.

They said they are my only two choices. Force me to work as a possible carrier or force me to test again, which I feel is against my rights. Can they give me this ultimatum? I’m assuming if I don’t follow through, they are going to fire me.
Trapped between working, quarantine and a test

Dear Trapped,
This isn’t about you, as much as it is about your patients. Quarantining and having a clearer idea if you have contracted coronavirus or not are the responsible courses of action. That applies to everyone, but it particularly applies to you. A nasal-swab may be uncomfortable for a moment, but a ventilator on one of your patients would be a hell of a lot more uncomfortable.
There are far worse things than a COVID-19 nasal swab. I’ve had one. It was not painful for me. Uncomfortable for a brief moment, perhaps, but it was a small price to pay. There are caveats: A nasal swab test is not 100% accurate, as the doctor or nurse who administers the test will tell you, and there’s nothing preventing you from being infected after you take the test.
However, focusing on that is only going to fuel your indignation and anger against your employer, and distract you from the main issue. This dilemma is about your patients, who are among the most vulnerable population. Nursing homes around the world have been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic because COVID-19 was transmitted from workers and/or visitors.

<Snipped statistical data>

This is all useful information to have when responding to your employer. In the meantime, you can also fill out this online form provided by the Pennsylvania Department of Health to report workplace violations. You should NOT go to work if you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. Know your rights. Know the rules. And act upon them.

Last edited:

awhyley

Then I called a friend today who just came back from vacation last weekend. She and eight members of her family tested positive. They mostly just have flu/loss of smell and taste, but her daughter has some more serious symptoms. Then I remembered: this is why I've been keeping myself at home.

Yes, ma'am, this is the exact reason. Every day, more persons get infected and I still don't know why people are traveling for pleasure right now. Stay safe.

Ganjababy

They would actually or should isolate you. I thought this was a made up letter but who knows. Some of the care homes in Canada lost up to 40% of their residents because of COVID and unsafe practices and I think the government is trying to decide who to prosecute. So such carelessness is not far fetched,I guess...
I can't believe that coming in to work was actually still an option.

Last edited:

naturalgyrl5199

The appraisal value of our home skyrocketed after we remodeled the kitchen Fall 2018. We were told that since homes in the area were not commanding such a price, we could still sell at a profit but not at the amount the appraisal value came in at. Then, last summer, about 5-6 hours on my street including mine underwent some curb appeal updating...we all painted our homes, doors, took care of some landscaping, and it was freaky, we all just started doing it at the same time. Then my neighbor is now selling their house for just under what our appraisal value came in at. For people who CAN purchase and afford homes, its a great time. Home values are going up in my area. Like pre-2008 values. Rates are going down. Man I wish I could sell. I get text messages and calls about selling my house ALL THE TIME. I think they are pullin git from Zillow and the property appraisal website.
So the bank that has our loan has been harrassing DH day and night with calls but not leaving messages. He didn't recognize the Detroit area code. He finally answered and they are offering us a refinance at 2.9% and I might take it. We will add 5 years to the length of our loan (taking it to a 20 year loan) but that takes $500 off our mortgage payment. We already pay $300 more towards the principal but being able to have that leeway with all the extra money we have been spending on food and supplies for COVID19 has been a doozy. I made DH crunch the numbers and he thinks we can still do the payoff within 15 years or less. We currently have a 15 yr loan and was set to pay it off in 12-13 yrs. This is just "insurance" but the loan payment will be down to $1090.00 for a 20yr loan at 2.9. We have awesome credit.

naturalgyrl5199

You'd be comfortable in a house you didn't clean? I know you can spray and disinfect but the idea of doing what I'd need to do to feel comfortable is exhausting. I'd end up staying at home. You're co-worker's option is better since they're using their own stuff imo.
So hubby took us on a beach day as a surprise and it helped. We did a little shopping and ate out. Sister in Law and her hubs came with. I was nervous in the restaurant that was on the beach (nice!) but the tables were really far apart. Everyone was masked up and there was plenty of sanitizer, extra masks and it was spacious. I ordered my favorite meal and had a mixed drink....We came back late (my favorite beach is in the next time zone but its like 3 actual hours from my house) but I needed that. The only caveat is we took our own stuff. WHAT A CHORE with kids. I don't want to do manual labor. When we stayed at our usual hotel which has private beach access we just rented stuff, and then left whatever we didn't need. bringing your own stuff is a lot of work and crap to keep up with. And we have 2 small kiddies. I still think the relaxing day was worth it. But it was a TON of manual labor I wasn't ready for after spending the next day kinda sick from the burnout. I will need to review the logistics again with DH. My next step is just to take some time off as my child transitions to virtual school. I'm going to have them slow clinic down a bit as well.

naturalgyrl5199

I can't believe that coming in to work was actually still an option.
If you are exposed as a contact but are symptom free for at least 3 full days, CDC says you can return to work. So categorically, the person is not sick so they can "technically" work.
It isn't ethical at all though.
In Pandemic scenarios which is considered an emergency....ethics get blurry and rules get bent... Human labor and expertise gets hard to come by.

The person SHOULD get a test and do the right thing. If you work in a Health-related Field, the small print often mentions "emergencies." And when true emergencies occur people get indignant and talk about how they don't want to do this or that. I remind my staff...umm that's what you signed up for.

Crackers Phinn

This person should not be working in the care home. They should isolate. They also need to take the test, whether they want to or not. People in long term care facilities are so vulnerable. It was not something I ever thought about because it was not my field before. But I have been thinking about this and their plight a lot lately for various reasons. COVID being one of them.

The management is unethical imo. If the only option is the test and the shield and mask it should be the test AND the shield and mask, not a choice between the 2. The only scenario I can see them trying to force her/him to work is if they are severely understaffed to the point of staffing levels being a risk factor to the safety of the residents.

Care home workers in Ontario can no longer work in more than one long term care facility since COVID and if it spikes again I can see this happening here too.

I am also surprised the test is a choice? Staff are getting tested at least weekly here...
HIPAA still applies to Covid so as an employer I can't force an employee to take a test or provide me with test results but if they report that they have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive or they have tested positive then they are on isolation leave for 10+ days depending on their condition. The key component of this is that it's on the honor system. so no action can be taken unless the employee speaks up. I find it morally reprehensible that somebody who has been exposed to Covid would consider coming to work period, let alone at a place full of high risk people. Yes, they get their little funky :moon: check at the expense of possibly killing a bunch of old people.

There's going to be a lot of lawsuits once this is done because companies aren't following the CDC guidelines of how to treat cases at work or conducting contact tracing to avoid an outbreak.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
So the bank that has our loan has been harrassing DH day and night with calls but not leaving messages. He didn't recognize the Detroit area code. He finally answered and they are offering us a refinance at 2.9% and I might take it. We will add 5 years to the length of our loan (taking it to a 20 year loan) but that takes $500 off our mortgage payment. We already pay $300 more towards the principal but being able to have that leeway with all the extra money we have been spending on food and supplies for COVID19 has been a doozy. I made DH crunch the numbers and he thinks we can still do the payoff within 15 years or less. We currently have a 15 yr loan and was set to pay it off in 12-13 yrs. This is just "insurance" but the loan payment will be down to $1090.00 for a 20yr loan at 2.9. We have awesome credit.

Do it. I don't think we'll ever see rates this low again. We decided to refinance and we are set to close tomorrow. $300 off the mortgage, no closing cost, and we are getting just over $500 in closing funds returned. We still have a 30 year loan but we won't be here that long.

dancinstallion

Costco has very good rates right now and you can get a 2.125 or 2.25% on a 15 year loan if you refinance. Your payment will lower and it will be less interest. You have to pay points to get these rates which is worth it because the interest you"ll save from a 2.9% to a 2.125%. You save that money in the first year or two plus you'll still be able to pay off a lot sooner than 12 years.

Screenshot_20200820-214013_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200820-214004_Chrome.jpg

awhyley

Anyone living in an area where they have closed down food stores?

Yep, last week, the PM here TRIED to institute a complete shutdown, which went horribly wrong. People protested and thankfully we're back on track.

The job situation is sketchy at best for some of us, and people are working sporadically and paying bills, (inclusive of obtaining foodstuffs) , on the fly. Closing down foodstores means that you have to have enough food to last for whatever period is stipulated, so in certain areas its the kiss of death.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Yep, last week, the PM here TRIED to institute a complete shutdown, which went horribly wrong. People protested and thankfully we're back on track.

The job situation is sketchy at best for some of us, and people are working sporadically and paying bills, (inclusive of obtaining foodstuffs) , on the fly. Closing down foodstores means that you have to have enough food to last for whatever period is stipulated, so in certain areas its the kiss of death.

Some are talking about stocking up 3 - 6 months worth of food.

awhyley

Some are talking about stocking up 3 - 6 months worth of food.

Totally unrealistic. My freezer barely holds 1 weeks worth of food and there's no space for a separate freezer. Most people in small apartments have this issue and sadly it's contributing to the problem because it creates the need for movement thus facilitating the spread but it can't be helped.

Everything Zen

Well after last night, my parents know not to associate with my aunt and uncle who saw nothing wrong with putting all of them in harm’s way at a local restaurant in Northwest Indiana. As soon as they got there they sat in the back but looked over and the bar was packed no masks. Wait staff wasn’t wearing them, etc. Indiana is not enforcing the rules so rest assured things will be shutting down there soon. I told them to be careful around my aunt and uncle who if they see how unconcerned they were with the restaurant (pre-COVID they used to eat out all the time and take turns) imagine what they do when you guys aren’t around. This is the reason why I don’t see my parents bc the people I live with aren’t as cautious and I stay away for months at a time just in case something came home with someone. I introduced @CrackersPhinn temperature station at my entrances and do my part to stay safe because I have the ability to do so, but clearly everyone isn’t able and obviously everyone doesn’t care. I gently reminded them that they need to do their part to keep themselves safe. Dad admitted that if my aunt and uncle weren’t paying for the meal they would have left because it clearly wasn’t worth it. He said he would have felt foolish risking exposure when you look around seeing college kids and judging them saying they’re out of control and then looking at that bar and the situation last night and thinking WE’RE out of control. Here is was mad that my SO took me out to a safe and reasonable outdoor dining experience in Chicago at our favorite brewery by our old condo a month ago out of fear that my mental health was in decline to get me out of the house where the place just re-opened after a major deep cleaning, everyone was wearing mask, the place was half full, well spaced apart, there was hand sanitizer at all the tables and the rules were strictly enforced that if you got up from your seat you had to wear a mask. I was so angry and disgusted with him. I only had a single glass of wine and made him take me home right away like HOW DARE YOU!!!! SMH

vevster

Yesterday I was telling someone that I felt like a scaredy cat because I'm really not leaving my place unless necessary. During the entire lockdown, I've been going to the office once a week, fully masked, because there are elements of my team's work that requires us to be onsite. For pleasure, last Saturday was the first time I went to my dance fitness spot that had everyone 10' apart, and yesterday I did carryout at a restaurant I haven't been to in five months. I was feeling good, thinking maybe I could be less afraid.

The crime wave reports in NYC have me not wanting to go out after dark. It’s scary.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!

Yup, I've been staying put too. There's very little you can't do online nowadays, so that's that. I'll hold out for when everything opens back up around the summer next year. Getting people to understand this though, has proven to be no easy feat. I had no idea people loved the outdoors so much.

Chrismiss

I just got a text from one of my coworkers that her husband learned he tested positive yesterday. He works in a prison and they test weekly. When he took this weeks test the job called him with his positive results and told him he's required to do a 14 day quarantine. Since we've been working remotely I haven't really seen her but she wanted to assure everyone that she's been wiping down her desk area when she does come into the office. I have to add that she and her husband went on vacation to Puerto Rico within the last 3 weeks. They had to test 3 days prior to going and now he's positive?? Smh.

Crackers Phinn

I just got a text from one of my coworkers that her husband learned he tested positive yesterday. He works in a prison and they test weekly. When he took this weeks test the job called him with his positive results and told him he's required to do a 14 day quarantine. Since we've been working remotely I haven't really seen her but she wanted to assure everyone that she's been wiping down her desk area when she does come into the office. I have to add that she and her husband went on vacation to Puerto Rico within the last 3 weeks. They had to test 3 days prior to going and now he's positive?? Smh.
She ain't supposed to go into nobody's office, solation means stay your :moon: at home. Maynnnnnn, this pooh right here is why I'm starting to revise my 2022 estimate to 2023. People just refuse to do right.

Crackers Phinn

So I had a complete and utter melt down at the place to get my blood drawn. Very long story short, everybody was wearing a mask but a couple came in with two kids that needed blood drawn and were told only one parent could be in the waiting room, the other had to wait in the hallway. These people acted like they were being permanently separated from their children at the border.

As much as I tell people not to engage, I did the opposite and started yelling at them about how them yelling was forcefully expelling their possibly contagious breath into the room for the rest of us to breathe. I then declared that I was having a panic attack, started shaking and crying and the staff moved me into another room where I didn't have to breathe their contaminated air.

On one hand I was embarrassed about being emotional in public but I guess since the behavior got me out of the potentially pestilence filled room that's a good thing. Now I'm isolating from the old man for the next few days at one of my empty units so I don't possibly take anything home.

I HATE PEOPLE. :mad:

Last edited:

Chrismiss

She ain't supposed to go into nobody's office, solation means stay your :moon: at home. Maynnnnnn, this pooh right here is why I'm starting to revise my 2022 estimate to 2023. People just refuse to do right.

She just found out last night. She hasn't been in since she found it. But Im guessing she's thinking that if she was exposed prior to his confirmed status, she wanted everyone to know that she's been taking precautions on the days that she did come in.

naturalgyrl5199

Do it. I don't think we'll ever see rates this low again. We decided to refinance and we are set to close tomorrow. $300 off the mortgage, no closing cost, and we are getting just over $500 in closing funds returned. We still have a 30 year loan but we won't be here that long.
We will. Appraisal done today. Houses on my street been popping up on the market for more than what we purchased for. And our house is newer, remodeled and nicer...and bigger. The house down the street is 800 sq ft smaller than ours, has the same # bedrooms and baths, and is going for like 80K more than what we paid for ours. I know it will sell too cause its beautiful and well kept....I was going through the last refinance when rates dropped and they wrote us a 1000.00 check. This will allow us to just throw more money towards the principal so we can be done in 15.

naturalgyrl5199

Costco has very good rates right now and you can get a 2.125 or 2.25% on a 15 year loan if you refinance. Your payment will lower and it will be less interest. You have to pay points to get these rates which is worth it because the interest you"ll save from a 2.9% to a 2.125%. You save that money in the first year or two plus you'll still be able to pay off a lot sooner than 12 years.

View attachment 462283
View attachment 462285
Let me call hubs.