1. https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/no-maintenance-scheduled.848583/
    Dismiss Notice

The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Discussion in 'News - Breaking News & Political Forum' started by Black Ambrosia, Jan 24, 2020.

1. sheanu

sheanu Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    They FINALLY issued guidance that everyone at my job who can work from home should do so. Thank goodness.

2. meka72

meka72 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I was supposed to make this months ago. :mad:

Belle Du Jour likes this.
  3. Belle Du Jour

Belle Du Jour Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    Thank you ladies! I used to drink ACV waaaayyyy back in the day for weight loss. But I remember that it could ruin your teeth? I guess I need to find a straw in the rona-polypse :giggle:

4. Belle Du Jour

Belle Du Jour Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    Girl, I've been disappointed in how little time I was investing in my health and wellness before this. Wake up call. I should have BEEN doing all this stuff :nono:

5. Bette Davis Eyes

Bette Davis Eyes Melanated Queen

Blog Posts:
    Thought about making an order for food delivery. No slots available for a month. Calendar only goes out that far. Found a slot for the 23th to pick up food 25 minutes from the house.

6. C@ssandr@

[email protected]@ formerly known as "keyawarren"

Blog Posts:
    I'm in NYC but my fiance is in Jersey City. As soon as he gets the orders to start WFH I'm heading over there.

His elderly mom lives with him, and I don't want to sit in the house with her alone.

Frankly, I don't want to stay with "them" . I'm going over there only because we dont know how long the social distancing will continue, so I think it's better for me to be close to him.

Kalia1, rayne, discodumpling and 2 others like this.
  7. washyohandslildirty

washyohandslildirty Active Member

Blog Posts:
  8. Bette Davis Eyes

Bette Davis Eyes Melanated Queen

Blog Posts:
    Im in a project management/ six sigma role for the logistics department but I spend around 45 % of my job either in the warehouse or beer lines if need be troubleshooting @vevster

9. vevster

vevster Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    :(

10. Lute

Lute Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Do not click on the ads. Your setting your self up for fraud.

Reinventing21 and sheanu like this.
  11. vevster

Blog Posts:
    Very cool! I'm a PM too.

12. vevster

Blog Posts:
    Here is another way to consume ACV

>>> source <<<

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  13. Ganjababy

Ganjababy Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    I cannot believe I am an RN and I am stuck at home with no job when I should be working right now. I know I should feel good about it but I actually do not. I decided to go into nursing for 3 reasons. First because I wanted a job I could use to travel, second because of the decline of the fashion industry (my original field) in the UK and last, I thought that if there was a world crisis, nursing would be one of the last jobs to go. Here we are and I am of no help. Apparently there are 4 reported cases in my university town (where I worked my last job but not where I live). I think I should be in the thick of it because I have no kids or elderly relatives living with me.

I think I will do lots of reading up on communicable diseases and if things start to get worse I will start sending my CV to local hospitals to volunteer. I am not scared. The only thing I am worried about is leaving dh behind. He would be lost without me. Even though I am a lot of work lol. But I bet he would probably be remarried within 2 years:look:

14. Layluh

Layluh Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    The chief of police where i work said crime is going to go up and has us working 12 hour shifts for 90 days.

15. Kanky

Kanky Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Things I purchased because of the virus:

a bidet :lachen: they are sold out now but maybe Costco will get more. If I can’t get more TP after my 6 month supply runs out I’m ready.

a diva cup- I have a few months worth of feminine hygiene supplies on hand but just in case.

Big sack of flour and yeast - I love to bake anyway. Should the bread be sold out after I finish my fifty -eleven frozen loaves then I can make my own.

A UV/LED nail lamp and gel polish - because I am not getting a mani/pedi at a day spa in a pandemic but Coronavirus is not going to make me let myself go.

16. Lute

Lute Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    What makes him/her so sure... he's/she's gonna burn the staff out?

Theresamonet, Kalia1 and rayne like this.
  17. vevster

Blog Posts:
    Did you install it yet? Is it difficult? Where did you buy it? Home depot?

18. rayne

rayne Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    We just got the word today that they're going to stagger us. They're diving us into teams. Team A will work from home this week, team b next week and then we'll keep alternating. It's so stupid.

19. Iwanthealthyhair67

Iwanthealthyhair67 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:

This is me, I didn't need to buy bleach or cleaning products I have that on lock, I need to stock up on other things it's just me and my niece but with school being closed I just might have to ration out her food, extreme times calls for extreme measures.

discodumpling likes this.
  20. Lute

Lute Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:

My job did something similar.. the people who take public transportation.. work from home and alternate the late shift. People who drive, would need to come into the office. Our team has the ability to work form home. We were working during Hurricane Sandy. My soul burns when I think about this.

@rayne does everyone have the ability to work from home?

21. Kanky

Kanky Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Btw I really appreciate this thread for helping me prepare. The people that I know IRL claimed that I was overreacting pretty much until the national emergency was declared, school was cancelled and they went to fight for TP and bleach in an overcrowded Costco. If it hadn’t been for y’all I’d have felt silly getting ready.

Thanks to this thread I purchased months ago

- a large supply of OTC medications, first aid supplies and as many refills of prescriptions as my insurance would cover including a second nebulizer and several months medicine refills (even though my son’s asthma is gone. You never know.) I am now prepared to treat minor illness and injuries at home for a long time.

- Bulk cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer, gloves and masks

- doubled our usual shopping list with each trip so that there’s a huge surplus of food and I added more non perishable foods.

-had a natural gas whole house generator hooked up. (Was planning on doing this before hurricane season anyway, but had been procrastinating)

-bought a wood grill and bunch of pellets. My stove is gas, and we had a charcoal grill but I wanted an alternative. Plus smoking food is fun and tasty.

22. Kanky

Kanky Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Bought it from Costco and my husband said it wasn’t hard to install.

23. Layluh

Layluh Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Im sure there are stats somewhere that link bored youth and economic decline to increased criminal activity. But theres definitely been increased criminal activity, especially in the last few days.

this is normal though. i work at what is essentially a medical city, with tons of hospitals, clinics and educational institutions all densely packed in a couple square miles. We knew going into the job that we were essential personnel and that we'd have to stay. Shoot during harvey i heard they all pretty much lived in the hospitals and did 12 hour rotations.

Luckily i just do patrol, so i have almost no contact with the general public. Im in a car all day by myself.

Im just going to count my blessings and be glad i have a job in a stable industry when many people don't. Unfortunately i may have to drop my online calculus class.

24. awhyley

awhyley Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Let me know if you find anything. Already seen two persons driving around with masks, and no one's even died of the virus here yet, so it's gonna get real ova here.

Yeah, same here. Since our department is tiny, we're alternating week on week. I'm trying to see whether I can take a few days this week to get it started. (eta: The major hotel around here offered 2wks "unpaid leave" or use of vacation days just to get a hold of this situation. Another closed operations today, {in another island}. I'm just heading to work and keeping my head low since I'm not trying to lose any money right now.)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Black Ambrosia, rayne and Chromia like this.
  25. SoniT

SoniT Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I hope everyone is doing well. We're all in this together.

Deja9, ajenee, Reinventing21 and 12 others like this.
  26. vevster

Blog Posts:
    Do you mind sharing the make and model? I'm seeing they are not pricey----

27. nycutiepie

nycutiepie Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Your comment supporting this sister warmed my heart.

I am out on disability from minor surgery but mostly due to a toxic work environment. I work in tech and make a lot of money but I’m miserable and my BP went up and now I’m on low dose meds.

This virus is producing some fear and anxiety because I do not want to go back. I was just about to start to look for a new role and then this crisis happens. I’m seeing a therapist (spiritual...not religious....sista that is awesome), a career coach (white male that’s damn good) and taking care of my mental and emotional health while I’m out. I couldn’t even sleep it was so toxic and it was impacting every aspect of my life. My company does not give a F about how their f’d up business practices affect the people on the front line projects. However, my health and peace is worth more than the money but I’m honestly so accustomed to that damn money.

I obviously can’t predict what the impact of this pandemic will be so I may have to step out on faith. I have no kids, some savings and a man, even though we don’t live together. I technically can survive for a while. This pandemic has me reflecting on life and what is truly valuable.

I saw someone say the following about the situation around the world....”we may never know if we did too much, but we surely will know if we didn’t do enough”. May God help us all.

28. B_Phlyy

B_Phlyy Pineapple Eating Unicorn

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    The ish is hitting the fan and I don't know if we can handle it.

The social distancing is definitely working in and around the city and suburbs. It normally takes me an hour and 15 minutes plus $8 toll to get to work. Today I took a longer toll free route and got to work in 50 minutes because there was no traffic.

Get to work and patients are now being rescheduled for 2 weeks out unless urgent. We'll see prenatals, surgery clearance, and hospital follow ups only. No walk ins periodt. And only one support person allowed with you. If you drove, check in and confirm your phone number. You can sit in the car until we call you.

They also fired our Chief Population Health Officer. I'm sure this was in the works before the announcement of the pandemic but I'm like of all times, why now? Our CMO can step in and do some stuff but not without that team.

Everyday they do a department call off check at the start of shift. Yesterday we had 5 and today we have 3. There was not enough staff before and you can feel the tension of people about to burn out or go off soon.

29. meka72

meka72 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    :bighug:

Unfortunately I understand your situation because I currently work in a toxic work environment and have way too many workplaces like that in my past. I know how it takes a toll on most aspects of your life. It sounds like you have the courage (and support system) to step out on faith and I look forward to hearing/reading about your next steps (should you decide to share) when we are on the other side of things.

30. nyeredzi

nyeredzi Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking of getting a bidet attachment anyway, about a month ago just because I heard an NPR podcast about great Japanese toilets. :rofl: I can't afford a real one inside the toilet, and we don't have space to have both a toilet and a separate bidet. I was looking at the Tushy attachment. Their advertising is funny. I saw some installation videos, though, and it looked hard. I loved the videos with their first reaction in using it, while on the toilet :lol:

I mean, i can just use a plastic squirt bottle, frankly, which is what I used after giving birth. I'll look back into the bidet attachment later. But I feel pretty confident it won't come to all that.

Kanky, Ganjababy, CocoGlow and 3 others like this.